TTTNE CDLXV - To boldly go where no thread has gone before.

Jon's Queen Consort

12 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Not true *cough*Lumiya, Dark Lady of the Sith.*cough*

She self styled herself that way, plus she was weak and a failure.

Zannah is still the best female Sith to date.

15 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

well felice straightened it out... :cheers:

and i am on the opposite end of your spectrum JQC...i dig those hippies...

we are ONE...

:smoking:

Their song was cool.

8 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

She self styled herself that way, plus she was weak and a failure.

Zannah is still the best female Sith to date.

How she was a failure? She made Darth Caedus, tho because of him being Vader's grandson wasn't something shocking.

Agree about Zannah and I also liked Darth Traya.

1 hour ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Their song was cool.

How she was a failure? She made Darth Caedus, tho because of him being Vader's grandson wasn't something shocking.

Agree about Zannah and I also liked Darth Traya.

She knew she wasn't greatly gifted with the Force and made her goal in training others rather than inflict her own will on the galaxy, not a great poster child for the Sith there :P.

On July 19, 2016 at 0:31 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

You should all go do yourselves a favour and watch stranger things on Netflix. Tis good.

Dr who is another where I didn't get the huge appeal.

i downloaded Pokemon go, went for a walk around and promptly dropped my phone in the beck. http://i.imgur.com/J7onlxx.jpg 

I have finished season 2 of Penny D. I think my favorite part is

Never underestimate a queen with lovely hair, my dear.

:lol: I died. And the scene with Mr. Clare and Ms. Ives was nearly cause to shed a tear. Of course, one can never tire of laying eyes upon Mr. Chandler. *sigh*

Now I need to sign up for a free trial of Showtime to binge the last season. I have an awful feeling I won't be able to handle much more suffering of poor Vanessa. 

I have looked at Stranger things but was completely thrown off track when I saw PD was available. 

Anywho, not that anyone would remember (or care for that matter) the little creepy kid with the annoying mother at Lil O's swimming lessons - did I tell you he BIT my child's finger on Monday? Broke the skin and all. I was proud of myself - I did not go crazy on the mom. Did file a report though. Today, same kid, bit a girl on her shoulder and slapped her in the face :o poor girl. He was given a 5 min time out (seriously? ) I have watched this kid and spoken with this kid and as far as I can tell he isn't special needs so I am beginning to wonder if he's possessed :dunno: 

It was like 95F today and it's too hot to sleep. Hoping to see Secret life of Pets tomorrow and enjoy the crisp cool theatre environment. Has anyone seen Kubo yet? Looks decent to me. 

2 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

I have finished season 2 of Penny D. I think my favorite part is

Hide contents

Never underestimate a queen with lovely hair, my dear.

:lol: I died. And the scene with Mr. Clare and Ms. Ives was nearly cause to shed a tear. Of course, one can never tire of laying eyes upon Mr. Chandler. *sigh*

Now I need to sign up for a free trial of Showtime to binge the last season. I have an awful feeling I won't be able to handle much more suffering of poor Vanessa. 

I have looked at Stranger things but was completely thrown off track when I saw PD was available. 

Anywho, not that anyone would remember (or care for that matter) the little creepy kid with the annoying mother at Lil O's swimming lessons - did I tell you he BIT my child's finger on Monday? Broke the skin and all. I was proud of myself - I did not go crazy on the mom. Did file a report though. Today, same kid, bit a girl on her shoulder and slapped her in the face :o poor girl. He was given a 5 min time out (seriously? ) I have watched this kid and spoken with this kid and as far as I can tell he isn't special needs so I am beginning to wonder if he's possessed :dunno: 

It was like 95F today and it's too hot to sleep. Hoping to see Secret life of Pets tomorrow and enjoy the crisp cool theatre environment. Has anyone seen Kubo yet? Looks decent to me. 

Oh yes, that was glorious. And also in 2x01

"Will you bring your gun belt?"

:lol: his flirting with Ethan was wonderful.

Oh, and also Victor Frankenstein shopping for lingerie :rofl: 

Did you like the moors episode with Patti LuPone?"

Season three sees more suffering....

And yes I certainly remember that incident. That is awful, he clearly needs discipline in his life. Children can be awful sometimes.

I'm also not dealing well with the heat. We were pushing 30/31 on Tuesday and I felt horrible and couldn't sleep. And some fool at work has the heating on, so that is a thing that is happening :mellow:

Just visited my high school for the very last time, strange feeling. I'm kind of sad at how many people this means I'll never, or rarely, see again. But that's life I guess.

And for some stupid reason my iPhone refuses to be charged at higher than 3% and keeps running out of battery power within minutes. It says there's a problem with the cable.

JQC, there are much more impressive female Sith than Lumiya IMO. Ventress (I'm counting her as a Sith) and Zannah for example, I'd have to take Sidious' side here.

1 hour ago, First of My Name said:

JQC, there are much more impressive female Sith than Lumiya IMO. Ventress (I'm counting her as a Sith) and Zannah for example, I'd have to take Sidious' side here.

True. There are way many interesting Sith Ladies, Zannah, Exai Kressh, Darth Traya,  Vestara Khai and just people who belong to the Dark side like Asajj Ventress, Kyrisa, Visas Marr, Lanoree Brock, Aleema Keto, Amanoa.

Since we talk about SW, I am so sad about EU being non canon. Why characters like Mara Jade, Cade, Jacen, Jagged, Zayne are not worthy being a part of the canon?

30 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

True. There are way many interesting Sith Ladies, Zannah, Exai Kressh, Darth Traya,  Vestara Khai and just people who belong to the Dark side like Asajj Ventress, Kyrisa, Visas Marr, Lanoree Brock, Aleema Keto, Amanoa.

Since we talk about SW, I am so sad about EU being non canon. Why characters like Mara Jade, Cade, Jacen, Jagged, Zayne are not worthy being a part of the canon?

I was sad too at first but after I reread some EU books I realized they were just as enjoyable now as they were when they were canon (some of them I even enjoyed more than before because my English is much better now).
TBH looking back Jacen and Jagged don't really work for me as characters post-New Jedi Order. But Mara, and many others, will always be a part of my formative years.
I don't think it was a question of worth, more practicality on Disney's part. As a business decision it was very understandable. It's still a shame that we never got a proper ending for so many characters and stories, even if they were flawed.

21 hours ago, First of My Name said:

TBH looking back Jacen and Jagged don't really work for me as characters post-New Jedi Order.

:o :o :o Jagged is by far one of the best characters. Mostly because he is a hero without having the Force. All the others are Jedi, Siths or at leas Force sensitives but he is the only one, or one of the few, who does great things without having *super powers*.

I don't think it was a question of worth, more practicality on Disney's part. As a business decision it was very understandable. It's still a shame that we never got a proper ending for so many characters and stories, even if they were flawed.

You think that we will not have an ending even in books and comics?

I was sad too at first but after I reread some EU books I realized they were just as enjoyable now as they were when they were canon (some of them I even enjoyed more than before because my English is much better now).

True. However I am sad that they were not canon.

At least for the moment, as far as I'm aware, all new material is canon, so there'll be no Legends (EU) work for the timebeing, except for The Old Republic, and potentially some of the new games, which may not be canon. 

While I'm sad to lose some of the EU (a pretty small amount, tbh, such as Dark Forces and KotoR) most of the EU was pretty bad, and they're gradually working the better EU material into the new canon, as we just saw with Thrawn. Pretty sure there's not going to be a Mara Jade appearance though. 

22 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

:o :o :o Jagged is by far one of the best characters. Mostly because he is a hero without having the Force. All the others are Jedi, Siths or at leas Force sensitives but he is the only one, or one of the few, who does great things without having *super powers*.

You think that we will not have an ending even in books and comics?

True. However I am sad that they were not canon.

Being a hero without the Force isn't the same as being an interesting character though. I thought he had a pretty forgettable personality. He never really clicked for me, but it's been ages since I read something that featured him, so I might change my mind after.

No, the way things are looking now I don't think they'll ever return to Legends. A shame because some things - the main Legacy era storyline, Republic Commando, the Jaden Korr duology, to name a few - ended mostly without any kind of resolution.

20 hours ago, ab aeterno said:

At least for the moment, as far as I'm aware, all new material is canon, so there'll be no Legends (EU) work for the timebeing, except for The Old Republic, and potentially some of the new games, which may not be canon. 

While I'm sad to lose some of the EU (a pretty small amount, tbh, such as Dark Forces and KotoR) most of the EU was pretty bad, and they're gradually working the better EU material into the new canon, as we just saw with Thrawn. Pretty sure there's not going to be a Mara Jade appearance though. 

I was to see even the stuff of questionable quality go because the EU was such a large part of my childhood, and I loved the sheer size of it, the ungodly amount of stories contained within.

And yeah. reintroducing Mara would bring too much baggage with it. She's Luke's wife and basically the poster child of the EU. Pellaeon is a different matter though.

14 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

Of course we remember and care! This is awful. I hope that child gets excluded from the swimming lessons, this should not be tolerated by anybody. :grouphug: Good healing to Lil O and the girl.

4 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Who decided what is "canon" and what not? What does it even mean? You like some stories and enjoy them. They can be "canon" in your head and nobody can tell you otherwise. Press releases or whatever from whichever company are not important at all. :)

8 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Of course we remember and care! This is awful. I hope that child gets excluded from the swimming lessons, this should not be tolerated by anybody. :grouphug: Good healing to Lil O and the girl.

Who decided what is "canon" and what not? What does it even mean? You like some stories and enjoy them. They can be "canon" in your head and nobody can tell you otherwise. Press releases or whatever from whichever company are not important at all. :)

Well, in this case, it's the Lucasfilm Story Group, and it's important because from a story or character development standpoint, it represents what is considered to have actually happened. It's the difference between what happens in ASOIAF, and what happens in the TV show, or a fan fic.

4 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

They're part of a different canon now. Hopefully they will publish new Legends material at some point; after all, they have kept existing books in print. But can you really imagine a new Star Wars movie trilogy set 32-36 years after Return of the Jedi that's both compatible with the Legends events (before and after) and works perfectly for an audience that only knows about what happened in the previous movies?

3 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

It's the difference between what happens in ASOIAF, and what happens in the TV show, or a fan fic.

So Force Awakens etc is the equivalent of Game of Thrones, and the Legends books are ASOIAF? Complete with uncertainty over when we'll get anything new in the latter? :lol: But both still exist.

12 minutes ago, ab aeterno said:

Well, in this case, it's the Lucasfilm Story Group, and it's important because from a story or character development standpoint, it represents what is considered to have actually happened. It's the difference between what happens in ASOIAF, and what happens in the TV show, or a fan fic.

Well, you can still enjoy all the stories, right?

We all know none of it actually happened, that is the point of fiction. And the nice part of it is, it does not have to make sense all together as long as the separate pieces make sense (to make good stories in themselves). So I say, like one can enjoy ASOIAF and GOT separately, one can also enjoy the seven movies and whatever else is out there at the same time and nobody will be hurt. A press release by Lucasfilm Story Group does not make any of it more or less true because it is all fiction anyway.

In Genette's terms, this sort of epitext is irrelevant IMO.

1 hour ago, felice said:

They're part of a different canon now. Hopefully they will publish new Legends material at some point; after all, they have kept existing books in print. But can you really imagine a new Star Wars movie trilogy set 32-36 years after Return of the Jedi that's both compatible with the Legends events (before and after) and works perfectly for an audience that only knows about what happened in the previous movies?

So Force Awakens etc is the equivalent of Game of Thrones, and the Legends books are ASOIAF? Complete with uncertainty over when we'll get anything new in the latter? :lol: But both still exist.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, you can still enjoy all the stories, right?

We all know none of it actually happened, that is the point of fiction. And the nice part of it is, it does not have to make sense all together as long as the separate pieces make sense (to make good stories in themselves). So I say, like one can enjoy ASOIAF and GOT separately, one can also enjoy the seven movies and whatever else is out there at the same time and nobody will be hurt. A press release by Lucasfilm Story Group does not make any of it more or less true because it is all fiction anyway.

In Genette's terms, this sort of epitext is irrelevant IMO.

You can still enjoy the Legends stuff, heck, I play the games frequently, but the stories are all ended, and will be treated as though they don't exist. 

If none of it has to make sense all together, why are there god knows how many thousands of pages of argument on the forum? And decades worth of debate around Star Wars canon and stories? It matters to fans, otherwise people in this thread would never have raised the sadness of losing the former EU.

18 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Dwelling on the past is pointless, all that matters is how much you carve out for yourself in the now. Which is why I'm launching my bid to become the next president of the USA,

Make America Scottish again!

Archived