TTTNE CDLXV - To boldly go where no thread has gone before.

Jon's Queen Consort

Hey JQC, Bex, Eyron and others.

Sounds great, Lord Sidious.

I'm really enjoying my own vacation too but my dad's car broke down, so we seem to be trapped on this hilltop for the moment. I hope they can repair it in time because we're supposed to be leaving in four days.

23 hours ago, TheCrannogDweller said:

Starting both Uni and work at the same time is pretty impressive to me. I hope you enjoy it - and also that you have some time to rest between the two. 

I hope so too, I really still want to have time to read, write and watch stuff. If not I'll just have to sleep less :P 

7 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I'm really enjoying my own vacation too but my dad's car broke down, so we seem to be trapped on this hilltop for the moment. I hope they can repair it in time because we're supposed to be leaving in four days.

Whoops! That does not sound too convenient.

What kind of job are you starting, btw? I seem to have missed that information ...

I submitted my thesis and the documents regarding the defense today. Defense is in less than two weeks. I need to prepare the presentation.

10 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Hey JQC, Bex, Eyron and others.

Sounds great, Lord Sidious.

I hope so too, I really still want to have time to read, write and watch stuff. If not I'll just have to sleep less :P 

Sleep is overrated. As a student you will learn that 2-3 hours of sleep in one go is something of a normality. You will also learn tha value of napping at every available opportunity. If not napping, then going into auto and "resting." Many a time I've reached uni without any proper recollection of my journey there.

You'll love it :D 

4 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Whoops! That does not sound too convenient.

What kind of job are you starting, btw? I seem to have missed that information ...

I submitted my thesis and the documents regarding the defense today. Defense is in less than two weeks. I need to prepare the presentation.

It's not, but it's not the end of the world, just the end of our plans for today. Fortunately my mom's sort of friends with the lady who owns this place and arranged that she could drive her to the store for food and stuff.

I don't know if I ever said what it was in TTTNE. It's at a restaurant, I'll either be serving tables or working the bar depending on where they need me. It's not a great job but I like the people and I really need the experience.

Good luck :) 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Sleep is overrated. As a student you will learn that 2-3 hours of sleep in one go is something of a normality. You will also learn tha value of napping at every available opportunity. If not napping, then going into auto and "resting." Many a time I've reached uni without any proper recollection of my journey there.

You'll love it :D 

Oh dear, and I barely function at 7 hours of sleep :lol: 
Napping is something I've already done in my last year of high school, my friends have had to wake me up during History more than once, so i've already gotten some practice at that.
We'll see :P 

3 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

It's not, but it's not the end of the world, just the end of our plans for today. Fortunately my mom's sort of friends with the lady who owns this place and arranged that she could drive her to the store for food and stuff.

I don't know if I ever said what it was in TTTNE. It's at a restaurant, I'll either be serving tables or working the bar depending on where they need me. It's not a great job but I like the people and I really need the experience.

Napping is something I've already done in my last year of high school, my friends have had to wake me up during History more than once, so i've already gotten some practice at that.

Thanks. :) And good luck to you as well.

Helena exaggerates. You can have a healtier sleep pattern than this even as a student!

4 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Working in a pub is alright, but be prepared for (well, in the UK it's like this) bad pay, long hours, and customers blaming you for everything whether it is within your control or not. Got no steak left? Your fault! The real ale needs changing and no one has shown you how? Your fault! The meal isn't ready yet? Your fault!

Also be prepared for some genuinely lovely customers too. Some people really put a smile on my face when I serve them. It's a great confidence builder, I found. My advice is to always keep busy, never stand around looking idle. If you are on the bar and have no customers, clean; wipe the bar top, polish wine glasses, clean the glass on the fridge doors, dust the spirit/wine bottles., wash the shelves you store the glasses on (do this when it's quiet). Make sure you know how to change the casks on the beers, lagers, ciders and so on. Make sure your fridges are stocked. Make sure you know how to change the soft drink boxes too. If you pull a pint, always remember to put a head on it so it doesn't go flat. Let the real ales (if you serve them) settle before you give em to the customer otherwise they are all frothy and customers will complain. Make sure you always have plenty ice, and slices of lemon and lime. Learn the different spirits you have stocked, learn your wine list, which wines are sweet, which are dry.

If you are waitering, well I guess it depends on the restaurant you work in. Where I work, I make sure the cutlery is polished, all tables are cleared, cleaned and reset, check on your customers whether they need drinks. Grab a cloth and give the kitchen porter a hand drying dishes. Ask the more experienced staff to show you stuff you are unsure about (how to present desserts, how to make coffees, where everything goes in the kitchen etc.). Make sure you know your table numbers when you take orders, learn the menu (e.g. Learn what dishes you need to ask the type of sauce customer wants). We also get asked to push the specials board at my place, and usually it's as simple as reminding customers we even have a specials board and what is on it. Make sure your salt and pepper shakers are filled. Remember to ask whether anyone wants any sauces/black pepper or anything with their meal.

Oh, and don't clear tables until everyone is finished. And always remember to ask if they are finished. You'd be surprised how many people will look like they have finished then snap at you if you come over and ask to clear their table. 

It sounds a lot written like that but it's not so bad. 

Just now, Buckwheat said:

Helena exaggerates. You can have a healtier sleep pattern than this even as a student!

Lies! All lies! :P or maybe I am just too stressy

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Glad you are enjoying yourself? Isn't it the California bar you want to go to eventually?

It is indeed, I can transfer as soon as I'm fully qualified here so at least another Year.

On the subject of sleeping, I need 8 Hours a night or I'm extremely grumpy and unfriendly.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

It is indeed, I can transfer as soon as I'm fully qualified here so at least another Year.

On the subject of sleeping, I need 8 Hours a night or I'm extremely grumpy and unfriendly.

Best of luck, it's not something I think I would ever do, but if it's what you want then I hope it all works out for you :) 

Oh grumpy and unfriendly is my default state, so lack of sleep doesn't really affect me too much ;) 

Yo everyone!

I've had got some things to deal with but all that ends well etc... I'm in the process of looking for a new place, selling the old place, restarting my studies and beginning life anew in general. I'm a single woman now. I should be sad, and I was for a bit. Now it's more like a new found freedom.

Best of luck to Lord Sidious and Buck! 

Lord S, are you an expat now? Come chat sometime! I try to come around when I can.

Nice to hear you're doing better, Eyron.

There was an earthquake about a hundred miles from where we're staying, apparently the house was shaking during the middle of the night but I slept through it. At least 250 dead though :( 
We're going home tomorrow, and then I'll start my study on Monday. I'm curious.

On ‎22‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 6:39 PM, Buckwheat said:

Thanks, and I hope so, if I plan to survive the first month.

On ‎22‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 6:58 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Working in a pub is alright, but be prepared for (well, in the UK it's like this) bad pay, long hours, and customers blaming you for everything whether it is within your control or not. Got no steak left? Your fault! The real ale needs changing and no one has shown you how? Your fault! The meal isn't ready yet? Your fault!

Also be prepared for some genuinely lovely customers too. Some people really put a smile on my face when I serve them. It's a great confidence builder, I found. My advice is to always keep busy, never stand around looking idle. If you are on the bar and have no customers, clean; wipe the bar top, polish wine glasses, clean the glass on the fridge doors, dust the spirit/wine bottles., wash the shelves you store the glasses on (do this when it's quiet). Make sure you know how to change the casks on the beers, lagers, ciders and so on. Make sure your fridges are stocked. Make sure you know how to change the soft drink boxes too. If you pull a pint, always remember to put a head on it so it doesn't go flat. Let the real ales (if you serve them) settle before you give em to the customer otherwise they are all frothy and customers will complain. Make sure you always have plenty ice, and slices of lemon and lime. Learn the different spirits you have stocked, learn your wine list, which wines are sweet, which are dry.

If you are waitering, well I guess it depends on the restaurant you work in. Where I work, I make sure the cutlery is polished, all tables are cleared, cleaned and reset, check on your customers whether they need drinks. Grab a cloth and give the kitchen porter a hand drying dishes. Ask the more experienced staff to show you stuff you are unsure about (how to present desserts, how to make coffees, where everything goes in the kitchen etc.). Make sure you know your table numbers when you take orders, learn the menu (e.g. Learn what dishes you need to ask the type of sauce customer wants). We also get asked to push the specials board at my place, and usually it's as simple as reminding customers we even have a specials board and what is on it. Make sure your salt and pepper shakers are filled. Remember to ask whether anyone wants any sauces/black pepper or anything with their meal.

Oh, and don't clear tables until everyone is finished. And always remember to ask if they are finished. You'd be surprised how many people will look like they have finished then snap at you if you come over and ask to clear their table. 

It sounds a lot written like that but it's not so bad. 

Well, you make it sound kind of terrible, yeah :P Thanks for the tips, I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually, I hope I don't piss off too many customers before I do.

On 22/08/2016 at 2:56 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Best of luck, it's not something I think I would ever do, but if it's what you want then I hope it all works out for you :) 

Oh grumpy and unfriendly is my default state, so lack of sleep doesn't really affect me too much ;) 

Grumpy and unfriendly is fairly normal, I need my 8 Hours in case my mask slips and I come across as Evil :P.

20 hours ago, Eyron said:

Yo everyone!

I've had got some things to deal with but all that ends well etc... I'm in the process of looking for a new place, selling the old place, restarting my studies and beginning life anew in general. I'm a single woman now. I should be sad, and I was for a bit. Now it's more like a new found freedom.

Best of luck to Lord Sidious and Buck! 

Lord S, are you an expat now? Come chat sometime! I try to come around when I can.

No, not yet, I'm just on holiday.

54 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

I'll check it out, but to be fair, I don't think CoM was ever really intended to be 'fun' :P 

No, they have very different goals 8) Kubo is the film I've seen most recently, and I wouldn't have considered comparing them otherwise. Though on reflection, I guess they do have certain thematic parallels...

Archived