Borus Blount

1 hour ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Why does he look sick fat and weak?

The poisoning theories alluded to above seem likely to be true.

Plus, he's old and broken down.

1 hour ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Why did tywin reinstate him after throwing his sword down against the mountain clans 

An excellent question! My guess? He's useful to Tywin because at some point he proved his usefulness to Tywin.

Tywin killed Masha Heddle for not stopping Tyrion's kidnapping. But then reinstated the Kingsguard who gave up the heir to the throne?? No way: Boros did something Twin finds useful. So Tywin kept him around.

I think his character is just "everyone's favorite waste of space". He got wooped by Jorah in a tourney, he's fat, drunk..bald..goes whoring all the time, has to taste every dish Tommen is served. He surrendered Tommen to Tyrians men and got thrown in a dungeon, he beats Sansa. 

I think he's there to annoy Cersei and provide some comic relief.

1 hour ago, Chancho said:

He was probably a decent knight once, Jorah faced him in the Lannisport tournament i think.

and Jorah beat him. I'm still having a hard time seeing how this guy made Kingsguard. Barristan was an old man by the time the series started and could have probably kicked his ass with ease.

40 minutes ago, sifth said:

and Jorah beat him. I'm still having a hard time seeing how this guy made Kingsguard. Barristan was an old man by the time the series started and could have probably kicked his ass with ease.

You will not find more then a handfull senior citizens in the whole world able to handle prime athletes... Not everyone gets to be a super heroe, Barristan is a exception, don't know why kingsguard serve for life, since age is really not kind to their body of work. Athletes age really bad in a lot of cases, getting fat in crazy pace, because they are used to high work rates when younger...

48 minutes ago, sifth said:

2 minutes ago, Chancho said:

You will not find more then a handfull senior citizens in the whole world able to handle prime athletes... Not everyone gets to be a super heroe, Barristan is a exception, don't know why kingsguard serve for life, since age is really not kind to their body of work. Athletes age really bad in a lot of cases, getting fat in crazy pace, because they are used to high work rates when younger...

To this point--

When Jorah tells Dany about beating Boros, he makes it sound like it was a very rare accomplishment: 

"I fight as well as any man, Khaleesi, but I have never been a tourney knight. Yet with Lynesse's favor knotted round my arm, I was a different man. I won joust after joust. Lord Jason Mallister fell before me, and Bronze Yohn Royce. Ser Ryman Frey, his brother Ser Hosteen, Lord Whent, Strongboar, even Ser Boros Blount of the Kingsguard, I unhorsed them all. In the last match, I broke nine lances against Jaime Lannister to no result, and King Robert gave me the champion's laurel. I crowned Lynesse queen of love and beauty, and that very night went to her father and asked for her hand. I was drunk, as much on glory as on wine. By rights I should have gotten a contemptuous refusal, but Lord Leyton accepted my offer. We were married there in Lannisport, and for a fortnight I was the happiest man in the wide world." Clash, Dany I

So, at least at the time of that tourney, which is after Boros was Kingsguarded by Robert after the Rebellion, Jorah saw him as a pretty good jouster.

One other thing: according to the Citadel, the Blount sigil is a Porcupine--as in the Porcupine Knight defeated by the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

The sigil hasn't been mentioned in the novels yet--a lot haven't and we only know them from the Citadel. But seems like there's a reasonable chance Boros was one of the knights defeating by the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

9 hours ago, Sly Wren said:

To this point--

When Jorah tells Dany about beating Boros, he makes it sound like it was a very rare accomplishment: 

So, at least at the time of that tourney, which is after Boros was Kingsguarded by Robert after the Rebellion, Jorah saw him as a pretty good jouster.

One other thing: according to the Citadel, the Blount sigil is a Porcupine--as in the Porcupine Knight defeated by the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

The sigil hasn't been mentioned in the novels yet--a lot haven't and we only know them from the Citadel. But seems like there's a reasonable chance Boros was one of the knights defeating by the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

I'm just saying can you name one accomplishment that Boros Blount made that makes him Kingsguard worthy. So far the only examples I have are, "faced Jorah is a tourney..................and lost to Jorah in a tourney".

12 hours ago, sifth said:

I think Blount was one of the Kingsguard appointments made for political rather than martial reasons.

12 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

There is a theory that Blount is receiving low doses of a poison that will eventually be used to kill Tommen. That way, Blount will build up enough resistance so that he won't die when he tastes Tommen's food, but Tommen will.

Yeah of all the poisoning theories I think this one makes the most sense somebody is building an immunity in Blount so they can kill Tommen.

13 hours ago, sifth said:

Barristan could kill him with his non-sword hand while taking a piss. Only 2 handed Jamie,mountain,oberyn guys like that could hang with OLD barristan.

But he's so freaking good at analyzing his opponents strengths and weaknesses (in a fight) that I wouldn't bet against him in any 1 on 1 match 

14 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

There is a theory that Blount is receiving low doses of a poison that will eventually be used to kill Tommen. That way, Blount will build up enough resistance so that he won't die when he tastes Tommen's food, but Tommen will.

I like this one the best... Also size would have a huge role to play Im not sure you can have a tolerance to poison. But if that is the plot line...... It'd be cool with me

1 hour ago, Valyrian Spoon said:

I think Blount was one of the Kingsguard appointments made for political rather than martial reasons.

Yeah of all the poisoning theories I think this one makes the most sense somebody is building an immunity in Blount so they can kill Tommen.

Any idea what that political reason might be? Is it directly related to Tywin reinstating him after he threw his sword down instead of fighting to protect his Prince (do his job) from a bunch of burned men trying to kidnap him 

50 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Any idea what that political reason might be? Is it directly related to Tywin reinstating him after he threw his sword down instead of fighting to protect his Prince (do his job) from a bunch of burned men trying to kidnap him 

I was speculating that his initial appointment may have had a political motive. The Blounts are a crownlander house I believe so it may have been a way to throw the crownlanders a bone after the rebellion.

I completely forgot that Blount needed to be reinstated after surrendering Tommen. It strikes me as odd a man as ruthless as Tywin would reinstate Blount, especially as now there seems to be a precedent for removing Kingsguard knights from service

7 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm just saying can you name one accomplishment that Boros Blount made that makes him Kingsguard worthy. So far the only examples I have are, "faced Jorah is a tourney..................and lost to Jorah in a tourney".

Right--sorry. I just meant that he was once a good tourney knight.

But you are absolutely right: we've neither seen nor heard of him do anything remarkable enough to warrant being a Kingsguard. If anything, he's a craven--look at him during the riot when Tyrion wants them to go get Sansa.

2 hours ago, Valyrian Spoon said:

I completely forgot that Blount needed to be reinstated after surrendering Tommen. It strikes me as odd a man as ruthless as Tywin would reinstate Blount, especially as now there seems to be a precedent for removing Kingsguard knights from service

Yup! We only know a few things about Boros Blount:

• Boros is the only named member of House Blount in the Crownlands.
  • He was a good jouster around the time of Robert's Rebellion.
  • He's a Kingsguard who enjoys beating little girls (Sansa).
  • He's vicious and brutal to young girls, but craven during the riot in King's Landing.
  • He gave up Tommen and Cersei left him to rot in Rosby dungeon.
  • But Tywin reinstated him.
  • And his sigil? A Porcupine.

Tywin killed Masha Heddle, an innkeeper, for letting Cat take Tyrion with armed men. He had her body hanged on a gibbet outside her inn. And innocent, unarmed, old woman. Over Tyrion, whom Tywin loathes.

But he reinstated craven, old, fat, Boros AFTER Boros gave up the one and only heir to the Iron Throne? No way--Tywin only keeps vicious men around if they are useful to him. So far, we've seen Boros do NOTHING to merit that.

Which means that in the past, he must have done something useful to Tywin.

My guess? It has to do with the Porcupine Knight defeated by the Knight of the Laughing tree. 

12 minutes ago, Sly Wren said:

My guess? It has to do with the Porcupine Knight defeated by the Knight of the Laughing tree. 

It's been a while since I read any of the books and I've mostly forgotten about the knight of the laughing tree story. Would you mind elaborating on the porcupine knight and why you think it would be a reason why Tywin would reinstate Blount. You've piqued my curiosity.

Edit: Never mind sorry I've seen the link to your thread on the theory. I'll go have a look.

Archived