What are you listening to? Vol. XXII

DireWolfSpirit

Here's a bunch of stuff I've been digging lately:

Last week, not a day went by when I didn't listen to Blisters in the Pit of My Heart, the new album from a northern English band called Martha. Absolutely delightful pop-punk that's catchy as hell and features clever lyrics. The video for "Ice Cream and Sunscreen" is what initially sold me on them.

Before that, I'd been obsessively listening to Goodness by The Hotelier (who are from Worcester, MA, so put them up there with diners and Polar Seltzer on the list of good things from that city). I suppose you'd call this emo, though more in line with the mid-90's Midwest version of that rather than the glammy MTV version from the early 00's. Or you could just call it rock. Anyway, "Goodness Pt. 2" is a solid entry point.

Closer to home, the Brooklyn-based rapper/producer Oddissee alternates vocal and instrumental albums, and this year's The Odd Tape is the latter. One of my friends said he's using this to teach his son about syncopation. You should have this on your stereo while enjoying a peaceful weekend morning at home. There's a video for "Brea", if you're interested.

And I'm a little late to the party on this, but Julien Baker's Sprained Ankle is lovely. Also, her cover of Jawbreaker's "Accident Prone" is my favorite Jawbreaker cover ever. I like it even better than the original, and Jawbreaker is one of my all-time favorite bands.

My favorite release of the last few months is probably Cardinal by Pinegrove. Country-tinged indie-rock seems like the easy quick take on their sound, but that doesn't really credit the quality of the songwriting, the catchiness of the hooks, or the deceptive simplicity of the arrangements. I can't tell you how many times I've played "Size of the Moon" on repeat.

Also good listening:

The Dream is Over by PUP [smash everything in the room punk rock from Canada]

II by Magrudergrind [grindcore is the best core]

The Impossible Kid by Aesop Rock [they say he's the rapper with the largest vocabulary]

Tired of Tomorrow by Nothing [the go-to phrase for music writers describing this band is "tough guy shoegaze"] (Fun fact: the cover photo was taken in my neighborhood.)

5 minutes ago, Mr. X said:

And I'm a little late to the party on this, but Julien Baker's Sprained Ankle is lovely. Also, her cover of Jawbreaker's "Accident Prone" is my favorite Jawbreaker cover ever. I like it even better than the original, and Jawbreaker is one of my all-time favorite bands.

Finally, someone in this thread notices Julien Baker! Not my typical preference, but I can really appreciate her style. And she's from Memphis! Local props. 

Right now I've got Anneke Van Giersbergen on repeat:

Been listening to a lot of Los Lobos recently. I'm seeing them play with Tedeschi/Trucks Band and the North Mississippi Allstars at the end of the month so I'm trying to familiarize myself with as much of their catalogue as I can. What an underrated band.

The Urge - Master of Styles

THE BEST album to emerge from the 1990s alternative rock craze,  but no one has ever heard of it. 

Saw them open for the Deftones once and they blew away the Tones.

Nearly 20 years later I still never got why this band didn't blow up huge.

Masterpiece album, every song is better than the last.

Parts hardcore, metal, ska, reggae, funk, and rap.

https://youtu.be/6tvIdpmRNeE

So yeah Savages was pretty killer live. Only problem was the sound was absolute shit. I could barely hear Jehnny even when there was nobody playing and she was just talking to the audience or just singing with some minor feedback/noise in the background. Also, the microphones kept picking up interference throughout the songs. This affected the opening band a little too so it wasn't just them.

That said, killer show. The venue was pretty much empty with maybe 100 people there which really surprised me as I've seen random metal bands at the same place with at least twice as many people. They even mentioned that it was kinda like playing at a secret little club. Either way, they still put on a great show. The songs from Adore Life that I was less sure about really came to life live and I now have a greater appreciation for them.

9 hours ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

@Elder Sister (from the last thread)

aw shit yeah! good stuff, I absolutely love Kurt Vile. do you only have his newest album?

I've got a bunch of his stuff...I adore him.  His lyrics crack me up.  My fave is his Wakin' on a Pretty Daze.

25 minutes ago, Elder Sister said:

I've got a bunch of his stuff...I adore him.  His lyrics crack me up. 

Seen him live few weeks ago at Opener Festival and it was definitely one of the best shows at this festival (others were PJ Harvey, Sigur Ros, At the Drive-In, Beirut, Dawid Podsiadło and LCD Soundsystem. Unfortunately I didn't make it to see RHCP).

Shame his show was quite early, before the dark, and on a relatively small stage. But perhaps his music fits better to small stages.

9 hours ago, Elder Sister said:

I've got a bunch of his stuff...I adore him.  His lyrics crack me up.  My fave is his Wakin' on a Pretty Daze.

nice. this has inspired me to burn you a cd, I'll try to have Larry pass along next time I see him. I'm gonna make a hipster of you yet!

Also, I'm assuming you've heard the Kurt Vile version of the squibillies theme, yeah? its perfect

edit: was lucky enough to have Kurt Vile perform an in-store a few years ago, which is what got me into him. funny story, two buyers in our office managed to book him and j.mascis (whom he was touring with at the time) almost simultaneously for in-stores... scheduled a week apart. 

34 minutes ago, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

nice. this has inspired me to burn you a cd, I'll try to have Larry pass along next time I see him. I'm gonna make a hipster of you yet!

Also, I'm assuming you've heard the Kurt Vile version of the squibillies theme, yeah? its perfect

edit: was lucky enough to have Kurt Vile perform an in-store a few years ago, which is what got me into him. funny story, two buyers in our office managed to book him and j.mascis (whom he was touring with at the time) almost simultaneously for in-stores... scheduled a week apart. 

You are so sweet - thank you!  I'm not sure I'll ever make a good hipster, but I would make a damn fine squidbillie.

Over the weekend, I was watching one of the news shows and I saw a guy who used to play in Kurt Vile's band The Violators - and he was fair/so-so.  His name is Steve Gunn - his guitar work was solid, but he just didn't have the voice to carry it, in my opinion.  

In actual 'listening to' news... went out to catch Hurray For the Riff Raff show a few nights ago with the wife. the real treat of the night was the supporting act Daddy Long Legs. hot shit those guys were fire on stage. kind of a crazy mix of voodoo blues and revival tent country stompers, all the while looking like some cross between Paul Weller and the cast of the Drew Carey Show. missed out on picking up an album or two because i was being an asshole, but if ya get a chance to see em, take it

Archived