What are you listening to? Vol. XXII

DireWolfSpirit

Sometimes I just like to hear voices from far away.

This artist is known as Paradise, she's an Afghani exile in one of the "stan" countries currently  

Farinaz- with some Persian rap that reminded me of an old Nelly Furtado track.

On 9/29/2016 at 0:26 PM, Hello World said:

Vektor - Charging the Void

Nice!  

I'm listening to Scar Symmetry. Never paid them much attention before seeing them at ProgPower USA last month. Totally hooked now. They put the melodic in melodeath.

So, the new Joyce Manor album, Cody, is really good, for those of you into the melodic punky thing. Listen to it here at your own peril -- songs will get stuck in your head.

I'm also digging the new Danny Brown album, Atrocity Exhibition. I've always loved music where it feels like everything is about to come totally unhinged and fall apart, and "When It Rain" totally nails that feeling. (WTF is up with the room full of VHS tapes in that video?)

The new Clipping album, Splendor & Misery, is really good. Someone suggested it could be nominated for a Best Related Work Hugo next year, and I'm down with that. I mean, the band describes it as "an Afrofuturist, dystopian concept album that follows the sole survivor of a slave uprising on an interstellar cargo ship, and the onboard computer that falls in love with him", and there are references to Samuel Delany and N. K. Jemisin, so yeah.... "Real players trip light years..."

In the not-new-music department, I listened to a shitload of Springsteen while reading his memoir, and then went on a big Busta Rhymes and Leaders of the New School binge. 

Archived