What are you listening to? Vol. XXII

DireWolfSpirit

On 10.10.2016 at 3:28 AM, The Legend of Cora said:

Don't know why that happened ^

I'm a big fan of Glass Animals, and love just about every song on their second album; How to be a human being

Currently listening to Agnes

:wub:

Cool stuff! =o)

On 10.10.2016 at 10:42 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

tori amos - the wrong band 

^ Tori Amos is always worth listening to.

On October 7, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Martini Sigil said:

Great thread.... I've been listening to a lot of this stuff... much of it I've never heard before... y'all have some really fun stuff on your iPods...

When I'm working, and I need to get in a certain groove... I channel some classic soul and R&B

Classic Soul and R&B is like some True Blood 

44 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yup. 

They couldn't put this one on BandCamp, for some weird record label reason. Released 9/30. Strong record as you would expect, with a nice surprise cover of a black metal classic for a closer. 

Siiiick. This was totally below my radar for some reason... Thanks for the heads up!

16 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yup. 

They couldn't put this one on BandCamp, for some weird record label reason. Released 9/30. Strong record as you would expect, with a nice surprise cover of a black metal classic for a closer. 

Haven't listened to it yet, but I might give it a spin later.

41 minutes ago, King Tyrion I said:

Haven't listened to it yet, but I might give it a spin later.

It's really solid. If you like old school-style black metal they do it as well as anyone today.

Out of the releases I named earlier, the new In The Woods... has caught my attention more than any other. It's their first studio album since the late 90s (with a long hiatus or two in between) and is remarkably atmospheric. I have a hard time describing it but if you've heard their classic album Omnio that will give you a good idea. Progressive doom might be a good descriptor, as they remind me a lot of Paradise Lost but more avant garde.  

Most of my favourite albums are the ones I initially hate and wonder wtf the artist was thinking - only to discover the actual genuis of it several listens down the line. The new Bon Iver album definitely falls into that category. I didn't even make it all the way through my first listen thinking "this is like a child let loose with a sample machine and auto-tuner". Somewhere along the line it started to "work" on me and now I'm hooked. It definitely works as a whole album too.

15 hours ago, Durckad said:

Portal - "Cosmos"

Weird-ass spacey Cynic side-project from the mid-90's. I kind of love it.

Adding this to my long list of things I must find time to listen to.

Speaking of spacey, I have really gotten into the latest from Mechina over the last few weeks. Definite end of year list candidate. 

Archived