You have 20 good men, what do you do?

Nocturne

You are the lord of a small northern house. In peace times your house made a decent living selling lumber, loyal to the Starks who always treated you fairly, but never had any particular interaction with them besides business.

The Boltons took over and they have demanded more then 2/3 of ur production as payment for not flaying ur house alive. You are forced to compile with the request, as you only have 20 good men to serve you in times of war. (properly trained soldiers).

The battle of the bastards is looming, you know the small odds of success that Jon has, what do you do when he comes knocking at your door?

20 men? Well with those numbers surely I can change the outcome of the war. 

No, I'd probably stay on the side lines. You said it perfectly, Jon has a small successful chance. If the Starks are as nice as you said, that means even if I show up after the battle, it will be okay. I'll apologize, and bend the knees.

lastly I think you failed to mention something. Boltons have the largest army; most of the northern lords have no army, most of their were massacred when the last stark started betraying them by breaking his oath left and right; and Jon just let a wilding army right through the wall...

if the north remembers so well, the best I can hope for is sending a man to assassinate Ramsay by acting as he was sent to create an alliance. 

I don't think anyone nowaday can understand being loyal to someone and dying for someone just becasue he has particular surname:D

it's the same category as "how they could treat bastards like that only because they are bastards" or "how could a father sell his daugher for money/power"

1 hour ago, maja89 said:

I don't think anyone nowaday can understand being loyal to someone and dying for someone just becasue he has particular surname:D

it's the same category as "how they could treat bastards like that only because they are bastards" or "how could a father sell his daugher for money/power"

No! There is a clear difference.

its called stereotyping an entire country. The north remembers? The show has shown that the Northmen are extremely loyal and stubborn; they have shown it every season. However, "blind loyalty" is idiotic. I can understand soldiers being extremely loyal to die for a cause, but an entire country being loyal that they would start a fight with 5% chance of success is dumb.

A woman being married against her will? Sure that believable it does not happen 99% of the time. 

I would refuse directly participating in the fighting and "pull the strings from the shadows" by sending each of my 20 good men to complete the following tasks.

Good Man #1: Meet with Sansa and instruct her not to inform Jon about the potential Vale army because by not doing so this will "make her a player" and "empower her".

Good Man #2: Have him carve a small wooden stag.  Observe Davos going out for a walk and drop the stag in a location where Davos is sure to find it based on his last known trajectory.

Good Man #3: Meet with Rickon in Winterfell.  Tell him that if a situation arises where he needs to run away from an archer, the best way to avoid the arrows is to run in a straight line. 

Good Man #4: Meet with Lancel Lannister assuming the identity of a prophet.  Deliver to Lancel the cryptic message "If sent to retrieve the Lioness, follow the Little Bird instead".

Good Man #5: Meet with the High Sparrow playing the role of a messenger.  Tell him to start Lancel's trial without the presence of King Tommen as he is busy chasing Ser Pounce. 

Good Man #6: Meet with the High Sparrow pretending to be the captain of the Lannister guards.  In the event that Cersei does not show up for her trial, tell him to send less of the sparrows to get her compared to the last time he tried this, and to send the most important witness in her trial (Lancel) as well.

Good Man #7: Meet with the Faith Militant Sparrows.  Inform them that nobody is allowed to leave the Great Sept of Baelor after Loras' trial.  If anyone chooses to attend, It's a 2 for 1 trial package with no bathroom breaks allowed between trials.

Good Man #8: Meet with Cersei and Qyburn.  Convince them to "live life a bit on the edge" by using slow burning candles to ignite the wildfire, rather than using a method which absolutely guarantees the wildfire to ignite.

Good Man #9: Go to Braavos and steal a face from the House of Black and White.  Then return to Westeros and deliver the face to Arya just as she arrives at the Twins.

Good Man #10: Meet Arya at the Twins.  Assume the role of a Frey baker and help Arya bake two of Walder Frey's sons into some pies.

Good Man #11: Meet with Jaime Lannister at Riverrun.  Tell him that instead of returning to King's Landing as quickly as possible to witness his sister's trial, he should give himself a pat on the back and go for a feast at the Twins instead.

Good Man #12: Meet with Dany in Mereen.  Convince her that there is no chance the masters will attempt another coup when she sails with her dragons to Westeros as long as she leaves Daario the sellsword in charge of Mereen.

Good Man #13: Meet with Dany in Mereen.  Tell her to appoint Tyrion to be the Hand of the Queen even though she barely knows him and hasn't really done all that much to earn her trust.

Good Man #14: Sneak into Dany's chamber in Mereen during the night and cast a spell which deletes her memory of Varys once setting up an assassination attempt on her.

I've run out of ideas.  If anyone else has any suggestions for Good Men #'s 15-20, please add them.

8 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

send the 20 men to fight on jon's side, leaving me with the 20 mens wifes to keep me company and create another 20 men for when they surely fall in war.

Lol, that would actually work out very well for you.......

Until you get old and you have 30 heirs who all want to assassinate each other to be head of the house.

22 hours ago, Rubicante said:

I would refuse directly participating in the fighting and "pull the strings from the shadows" by sending each of my 20 good men to complete the following tasks.

Good Man #1: Meet with Sansa and instruct her not to inform Jon about the potential Vale army because by not doing so this will "make her a player" and "empower her".

Good Man #2: Have him carve a small wooden stag.  Observe Davos going out for a walk and drop the stag in a location where Davos is sure to find it based on his last known trajectory.

Good Man #3: Meet with Rickon in Winterfell.  Tell him that if a situation arises where he needs to run away from an archer, the best way to avoid the arrows is to run in a straight line. 

Good Man #4: Meet with Lancel Lannister assuming the identity of a prophet.  Deliver to Lancel the cryptic message "If sent to retrieve the Lioness, follow the Little Bird instead".

Good Man #5: Meet with the High Sparrow playing the role of a messenger.  Tell him to start Lancel's trial without the presence of King Tommen as he is busy chasing Ser Pounce. 

Good Man #6: Meet with the High Sparrow pretending to be the captain of the Lannister guards.  In the event that Cersei does not show up for her trial, tell him to send less of the sparrows to get her compared to the last time he tried this, and to send the most important witness in her trial (Lancel) as well.

Good Man #7: Meet with the Faith Militant Sparrows.  Inform them that nobody is allowed to leave the Great Sept of Baelor after Loras' trial.  If anyone chooses to attend, It's a 2 for 1 trial package with no bathroom breaks allowed between trials.

Good Man #8: Meet with Cersei and Qyburn.  Convince them to "live life a bit on the edge" by using slow burning candles to ignite the wildfire, rather than using a method which absolutely guarantees the wildfire to ignite.

Good Man #9: Go to Braavos and steal a face from the House of Black and White.  Then return to Westeros and deliver the face to Arya just as she arrives at the Twins.

Good Man #10: Meet Arya at the Twins.  Assume the role of a Frey baker and help Arya bake two of Walder Frey's sons into some pies.

Good Man #11: Meet with Jaime Lannister at Riverrun.  Tell him that instead of returning to King's Landing as quickly as possible to witness his sister's trial, he should give himself a pat on the back and go for a feast at the Twins instead.

Good Man #12: Meet with Dany in Mereen.  Convince her that there is no chance the masters will attempt another coup when she sails with her dragons to Westeros as long as she leaves Daario the sellsword in charge of Mereen.

Good Man #13: Meet with Dany in Mereen.  Tell her to appoint Tyrion to be the Hand of the Queen even though she barely knows him and hasn't really done all that much to earn her trust.

Good Man #14: Sneak into Dany's chamber in Mereen during the night and cast a spell which deletes her memory of Varys once setting up an assassination attempt on her.

I've run out of ideas.  If anyone else has any suggestions for Good Men #'s 15-20, please add them.

Real men 15-20 don't need a purpose. Real men can just stand there with manly muscles.

10 hours ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

i wouldn't worry about that.... they would be fine looking ones if they take after there father. They would be married into great houses and i would be sorted lol

Guess you will be the Crasters?

On 7/20/2016 at 4:34 PM, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

i wouldn't worry about that.... they would be fine looking ones if they take after there father. They would be married into great houses and i would be sorted lol

You're obviously a very minor noble (only 20 men). Your eldest son takes over after your death. The remaining 19? If you're lucky, a couple might be maesters, a couple might want to join the Watch, a couple might marry into other minor houses, a couple might marry into merchant families...yikes. You need to invent the condom, fast.

Archived