Why Daenerys just dont buy few more dragon eggs?

blckp

I'm fairly sure GRRM said Dany hatching the eggs was a one-of-a-kind event. 

Plus if the word went out that Dany was looking to buy fossilized dragon eggs she'd be flooded with enough round rocks to build a new pyramid in Meereen. 

And if she can barely contain the three she has now, what on earth would she do with more?

For some reason, this topic reminded me of "Let them eat cake".

It's not as if there's boatloads of dragon eggs out there. People can't just wander down to the local farmer's market and peruse the current stock of dragon eggs for sale.

And I highly doubt that hatching them, even if they could be obtained at all, is simply a matter of sticking them under a lamp or something.

"How do you like your eggs in the morning?

I like mine on a pyre.

Husband and child, Maegi gets fried,

Just hear those dragonets hiss."

Or, as others have said, a) it was a very unusual/miraculous event, Dany hatching the dragons, and b ) more dragons would not solve her current problems, not least because she was so reluctant to use them

There is something a bit strange though. There are dragon eggs about - Illyrio talks about them in the same terms as precious gems (though even more rare and valuable). So the owners of these eggs should have been beating a path to Dany's door to get her to hatch them. They don't know that the hatching was a one off, magical event. They do know she's so short of money that she's been selling off Illyrio's trade goods. So just pay her!

2 hours ago, Springwatch said:

There is something a bit strange though. There are dragon eggs about - Illyrio talks about them in the same terms as precious gems (though even more rare and valuable). So the owners of these eggs should have been beating a path to Dany's door to get her to hatch them. They don't know that the hatching was a one off, magical event. They do know she's so short of money that she's been selling off Illyrio's trade goods. So just pay her!

Even if she could, it seems unlikely that Daenerys would be willing to serve as some kinda dragon-hatching surrogate for others. Why should she want anyone else to have dragons? Also anyone who heard about the last time she offered someone a dragon in trade probably isn't going to be rushing to deal with her. 

Not to mention that only people with dragonlord blood would have a chance of being able to tame and ride them. There probably are plenty of these people in Volantis and the other free cities and maybe a few even have eggs, but there's no telling how pure their blood is. The Valyrians practiced incest for a reason. These hypothetical people would basically be spending a lot of money and ruining their priceless dragon eggs for a dragon that may just eat them when it gets old enough to ride. 

9 hours ago, GravyFace said:

Why would she need to? Her 3 dragons will lay eggs eventually. Would be a waste of a lot of money.

dragons are super duper useful, its like saying i have 100$ i don't need 1000$

Why does she need more dragons?  Nobody else has dragons.. She has the world monopoly on dragons, she is a billionare in terms of dragons.  Everybody else has 0 and she has 3...  Why on earth would she be worried about having more?  She's not even sure she can totally control the ones she already has. 

P.S. I hear you can find a dragon egg inside a dwarf's head...

9 minutes ago, Khal BlackfyreO said:

Why does she need more dragons?  Nobody else has dragons.. She has the world monopoly on dragons, she is a billionare in terms of dragons.  Everybody else has 0 and she has 3...  Why on earth would she be worried about having more?  She's not even sure she can totally control the ones she already has. 

P.S. I hear you can find a dragon egg inside a dwarf's head...

There are probably more Dragons in the world. Almost certainly in Asshai.

3 minutes ago, Khal BlackfyreO said:

Sorry then, not the world monopoly, just the 'known' world monopoly...

Yeah. Totally. Fair enough.

I would say "the more, the merrier," if she had a solid hold on the Dragons she does have, and a line of likely riders to put them to use. But she needs to learn to...fly before she learns to run..

Plot reasons is the answer. There's two possible outcomes:

- She does get a bunch of them, she successfully manages to hatch them, she becomes really overpowered.

- She does get a bunch of them, she doesn't successfully hatch them, waste of a storyline.

The fact that she can't effectively control the dragons she has is a big factor. Until she has more control over her dragons, she won't go out of her way to get more dragon eggs.

And she needs more dragonriders to conrol her dragons. she can't ride three dragons herself, and doesn't trust anyone enough to give them a dragon yet. So If she did get more dragons, she wouldn't be able to do much with them.

Archived