Game of Thrones Filming This Summer

Westeros

HBO has sent out a press release concerning the 7th season of Game of Thrones, confirming several details—most notably the total number of episodes for the season, seven—that have come out over the last weeks. The press release is below:

The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series GAME OF THRONES will begin shooting its next season later this summer, it was announced today by Casey Bloys, president, HBO programming. Production of the seven-episode seventh season will be based in Northern Ireland, while additional portions will be filmed in Spain and Iceland, with debut slated for summer 2017 on HBO.

“Now that winter has arrived on GAME OF THRONES, executive producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss felt that the storylines of the next season would be better served by starting production a little later than usual, when the weather is changing,” said Bloys. “Instead of the show’s traditional spring debut, we’re moving the debut to summer to accommodate the shooting schedule.”

Season seven directors will include Mark Mylod, Jeremy Podeswa, Matt Shakman and Alan Taylor.

Locations for shooting in Spain will include Sevilla, Caceres, Almodovar del Rio, Santiponce, Zumaia and Bermeo.

Last week, GAME OF THRONES received 23 Primetime Emmy® nominations, the most of any nominee for the third year in a row. This year’s nominations include Outstanding Drama Series, 2 for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series (Peter Dinklage, Kit Harington), 3 for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series (Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, Maisie Williams), Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series (Max von Sydow), 2 for Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series (Miguel Sapochnik, Jack Bender) and Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss).

Season seven credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger and Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin and Bryan Cogman; producers, Chris Newman, Greg Spence and Lisa McAtackney.

Visit the Site!

So it's confirmed what we were all expecting, then: 7 episodes in season 7.1 and then probably either 6 or 8 (hopefully 8) episodes to finish off in 2018. 

Really hope "co-writer" appears next to GRRM's name soon, maybe for the very final stages. If he can get The Winds of Winter book completed and published before season 7.2 begins that would be such a promising addition to the end of the series. 

The show's still terrific entertainment without his presence, mind, and DB&DB are great producers, writers and showrunners, but the detail and planning before the big spectacles seems to have withered slightly as the show has moved ahead of the books. 

Geared up either way.

2 hours ago, colourfulsevens said:

If he can get The Winds of Winter book completed and published before season 7.2 begins that would be such a promising addition to the end of the series. 

we could hope.
while we're at it, let's hope and they would delay season 8 also until after a dream of spring, that would be sweet.

16 minutes ago, Victarion Dondarrion said:

we could hope.
while we're at it, let's hope and they would delay season 8 also until after a dream of spring, that would be sweet.

Some actors might die or change vastly, 10+ years is a long time

There are rumors GRRM may announce the release date of TWOW at the WorldCon in mid-August. There are also rumors that he may be releasing ADOS with it. I know these are just rumors, but maybe that could explain why they are delaying filming of S7 until late Summer/early Fall (can we really believe HBO's "Winter is here" line after all their lying and misdirection?). And perhaps why S7 will not begin until mid to late summer next year. I know that is just hopeful speculation, but that would be ultra cool if it turned out to be true.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/07/2016 at 9:12 PM, Victarion Dondarrion said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA *pauses for  breathing* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAH *takes sip of water* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

...hell no.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, illinifan said:

Martin is never finishing those books.  Discuss.  

Well personally I think that we'll see Book 6 but I wonder about Book 7.  Anyway my understanding was that after the end of season 6 there were 15 episodes left but then again I thought that Season 7 would be 8 episodes.  I really hope that the end of GoT is not tied in anyway (time wise) to the end of ASOIAF.  There are people who have been waiting 20 years for the end of ASOIAF and there's probably like 5 to 6 years to go on that and I don't want to wait that long for the end of GoT.  I started on the books (admittedly I'm a newcomer, I started reading them in 2014) but now I prefer the series.

13 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Well personally I think that we'll see Book 6 but I wonder about Book 7.  Anyway my understanding was that after the end of season 6 there were 15 episodes left but then again I thought that Season 7 would be 8 episodes.  I really hope that the end of GoT is not tied in anyway (time wise) to the end of ASOIAF.  There are people who have been waiting 20 years for the end of ASOIAF and there's probably like 5 to 6 years to go on that and I don't want to wait that long for the end of GoT.  I started on the books (admittedly I'm a newcomer, I started reading them in 2014) but now I prefer the series.

They are never gonna delay a hit-show because of something trivial like "it would spoil the ending for the book readers". That's just not how those things work.

Also the show can't even spoil the whole ending, it left out too many characters and story lines for that. Even after the show has concluded in 2018 we won't know what will happen to Arianne, the crew of the Shy Maid (especially the Griffs) Val, Mance, LSH, Harry the Heir etc. etc. etc. Plus the fate of several characters has been dramatically changed in the show, so we won't know what happens to them in the book, since several things just can't happen to them in the book. It's not even a given that Margaery will exit the books the same way she did in the show (or exit them at all)

The two things that the show really spoiled were Jon's resurrection and Jon's parentage and whoever didn't realize (or accept) those two things after all the clues in the books is camping in a river in Egypt anyway (probably with a Stannis body pillow in their tent)

the only worry I personally have is that Martin will get disgruntled that the show spoiled too much and will scrap his carefully laid out plans for a possibly much less satisfying new conclusion. Well that and that we might not see DoS at all...

10 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

They are never gonna delay a hit-show because of something trivial like "it would spoil the ending for the book readers". That's just not how those things work.

Actually they already have.  Originally GoT was supposed to be 7 seasons long.  HBO and GRRM went to D&D and convinced them to extend the series, which they did.  However, since Season 7 is set to be 7 episodes long (as opposed to a normal 10 episodes) and season 8 is said to be 8 episodes they essentially only extended the series by half a season, instead of us having 20 episodes to go now we only have 15.  But either way instead of fans of the series knowing that they will se the climax and end of GoT in 2017 they will now see it in 2018.  Now why did they do this?  It was in an attempt to allow GRRM time to finish the books.  Of course, since WoW is already way behind schedule we may see book 6 before the series ends but there is almost no chance that we would see book 7 before the end.  Now maybe their motivation wasn't for the "book readers" but that was the result.  Now would they hold the books until GRRM finishes book 7?  Of course not and I didn't say that they would, if it came across that way I'm sorry, I was being facetious.

13 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

Actually they already have.  Originally GoT was supposed to be 7 seasons long.  HBO and GRRM went to D&D and convinced them to extend the series, which they did.  However, since Season 7 is set to be 7 episodes long (as opposed to a normal 10 episodes) and season 8 is said to be 8 episodes they essentially only extended the series by half a season, instead of us having 20 episodes to go now we only have 15.  But either way instead of fans of the series knowing that they will se the climax and end of GoT in 2017 they will now see it in 2018.  Now why did they do this?  It was in an attempt to allow GRRM time to finish the books.  Of course, since WoW is already way behind schedule we may see book 6 before the series ends but there is almost no chance that we would see book 7 before the end.  Now maybe their motivation wasn't for the "book readers" but that was the result.  Now would they hold the books until GRRM finishes book 7?  Of course not and I didn't say that they would, if it came across that way I'm sorry, I was being facetious.

Extending something for half a season (which has precedent with other HBO shows iirc) and delaying the conclusion to a hit series for (let's be realistic) 5-7 years are two completely different pair of shoes now don't you agree?

One gives HBO another season and another fiscal year when they can rely on their most successful show, this means profit and happy investors.

The other means viewers will be pissed, might lose interest in HBO and might not return in 5 years time to see the conclusion. Loss and profit and sad/angry investors.

• 1 month later...

I am SUCH a novice on this forum, but let me say that if they gave us five more episodes, I'd take 'em and say, "Thank'ee Ser" while tugging my forelock.

At 71 with a scuzzy heart, there's a good chance I don't even GET to season 8, but I think I'd come back just to watch it.

This is what Boardwalk Empire WANTED to be, what VINYL was INTENDED to be and what TRUE DETECTIVE nearly was.  (LOVED Vince Vaughn!)

G.O.T. is just so impressive an ouvre!

10 hours ago, FrayedKnotArts said:

I am SUCH a novice on this forum, but let me say that if they gave us five more episodes, I'd take 'em and say, "Thank'ee Ser" while tugging my forelock.

At 71 with a scuzzy heart, there's a good chance I don't even GET to season 8, but I think I'd come back just to watch it.

This is what Boardwalk Empire WANTED to be, what VINYL was INTENDED to be and what TRUE DETECTIVE nearly was.  (LOVED Vince Vaughn!)

G.O.T. is just so impressive an ouvre!

Welcome!! :D So you MUST get to season 7 & 8 (hope they will be a good!!) :P

Archived