Is "I want to be free" the 5 most beautiful words in the English language?

Fragile Bird

the sentence that cruz prefers is not without aesthetic merit, but the measure differs depending on how it is interpreted.  

a ) if he means that 'i want to be free' in the ontological sense (i.e., i want to be have freedom of the will), the appropriate aesthetic analysis arises out of lolarious vaudeville farce if he believes, like sartre, that freedom of the will is the default condition of human consciousness--why want what can never be dispossessed?

the aesthetics of the statement are by contrast tragically sublime if cruz believes, like hard determinists, that human freedom is an impossible and dangerous dream--what is more tragic and terrifying than to desire what is both impossible to achieve and harmful if achieved? what demonstrates, indeed, more plainly the impossibility of the dream than to be compelled by the desire for it? 

am not sure what the proper aesthetics might be for a pure indeterminist position (which cruz might prefer ideologically) from numbnuts such as ayn rand or karl popper.

b ) if he means i want political freedom, the sentiment is decent (inferior of course to workers of the world unite), but kinda self-contradictory to the extent it insists on a tired and easily falsified individualism in its grammatical subject even while supporting the generic & undefined polis in the object.  this is a rhetorical complexity that formalists should appreciate, and that certainly counts as a sort of beauty.  

insofar as political freedom is conceived strictly on basis of negative rights vis-a-vis the state (which is a philistine conception, no doubt), the statement substitutes out as i want an absence of state constraint--i have an absence of absence of state constraint. is the double absence a mise en abyme? i.e., the unfulfilled desire is the condition of possibility for the political freedom, its sine qua non?  

i'm sure cruz thought through these considerations carefully, so we should accord him some severity.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 9:43 PM, Fragile Bird said:

Ted Cruz says so.

I beg to differ.

I'm rather liking "A gin and tonic, please", at the moment.

What are the five most beautiful words in the English language to you?

Gin/tonic with extra lime.

:D 

4 hours ago, sologdin said:

but those dialogues are ten words?  maybe the form should follow:  let's screw brains out? ok!

Killing the buzz, dude. Are we limiting it to 5 words in each conversation or a statement of 5 words per each conversationalist? Please elucidate. 

Archived