The next Olympic sport?

Which Tyler

On 24/07/2016 at 2:00 PM, baxus said:

Back in 2012 and 2008 ATP/WTA points were awarded for participation in the Olypmics.

I know you're so fed up of the Djokovic bandwagon that you're probably quite please he's out already; especially as, IIRC you're a fellow Del Potro fan; but I don't think you could claim that Djoker didn't really care last night.

On 03/08/2016 at 9:13 PM, baxus said:

And STILL no squash? FFS!

On the subject of new sports - Rugby 7s is new this year; and it seems to be going down a treat with the BBC (not too surprising - though every time SCW opens his mouth you can tell that he knows next to nothing about rugby 7s, and even less about women's rugby; day 1 he couldn't even remember that they WERE women!).

The crowd seem to be really into it as well; though again, it's hardly a surprise as 7s has always had a carnival atmosphere.

How is it going down elsewhere? What's the broadcasting like? Is it really being covered outside of areas that already cover rugby anyway?

I'm assuming that countries who don't really cover rugby anyway, and who don't have a team in Rio are basically ignoring it - is that fair?

11 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

I know you're so fed up of the Djokovic bandwagon that you're probably quite please he's out already; especially as, IIRC you're a fellow Del Potro fan; but I don't think you could claim that Djoker didn't really care last night.

No, I'm not a Del Potro fan, though I have nothing against him. He seems like a good guy, as does Djokovic.

I'm not pleased that Djokovic is out, he was one of our country's two best shots at gold medal. And he definitely did care, there's no denying that. He was just not good enough on the night. It's by far the most disappointing performance of our team member in this Olympics.

52 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Fair enough, and my apologies; it's easy to support someone you don't usually when they're playing for your country; and I'm obviously mis-remembering your opinion on Del Potro.

No apologies needed. I have nothing against Djokovic. He's a great athlete, one of our nation's most successful ever, and he's doing a lot of charity work in Serbia. He seems like a great guy, really. It's just his whole bandwagon crew that I have a problem with, most of all with his family and their business activities.

As for Del Potro, I quite liked watching him in his prime and he also seems like a great guy. It's nothing against him when I say I'm not a fan, I'm not a tennis fan in general. The whole Djokovic bandwagon crew really put me off tennis.

3 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

How is it going down elsewhere? What's the broadcasting like? Is it really being covered outside of areas that already cover rugby anyway?

I'm assuming that countries who don't really cover rugby anyway, and who don't have a team in Rio are basically ignoring it - is that fair?

It's been ignored so far, but coverage in Switzerland is abysmal anyway. Mostly anything is ignored, unless some Swiss athlete is competing (and loosing).

Is it normal to have 1000 World records on a single day in Swimming?

53 minutes ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

It's been ignored so far, but coverage in Switzerland is abysmal anyway. Mostly anything is ignored, unless some Swiss athlete is competing (and loosing).

Serbian broadcasting is horrible as well. Our national network has three channels but broadcasts Olympics on one only, maybe two if we have two athletes and/or teams in competition at the same time. And they don't even broadcast all of our athletes either.

We used to get even more WRs on a single day until use of the suits was regulated a bit more strictly.

9 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Probably, I wasn't even aware Rugby turned Olympic until a few days ago. But that's kinda the point with Olympic TV coverage. You have so many sports, only the ones the TV viewers (presumably) wants to watch or where a national medal is realistically possible/likely get a somewhat bigger exposure. Now what is it the viewers want? Presumably the highlights (100 metres) and the sports with a strong local tradition (which kinda tends to result in bigger chances for a medal (self-selection ftw)). 

11 hours ago, Criston of House Shapper said:

Actually, I was being highly unfair, SRF2 broadcast the finals.

1 hour ago, Notone said:

Didn't they include indoor/sport climbing for the next summer games? 

Mountaineering looks like a horrible idea as an olympic discipline. Just the logistics alone should really put an end to that thought.

They did.

Mountaineering would be incredibly boring as well as highly dangerous, a pretty horrendous combination.

Archived