If you're Hoster Tully

devilish

Assuming you're young Hoster Tully. Your wife had died and your children are old enough to get married (or being promised to). Edmure is growing up, Tywin had just resigned from hand of the king and your brother is serving House Arryn after a quarrel you had with him.The Riverlands are relatively safe but its still weaker then all its neighbours and depends on regions for protection. There's also animosity between the Freys and your family with Walder pushing for one of your children to marry one of his children. Meanwhile you're fostering a brilliant boy but whose getting too close to your daughters.

How would you act?

a- Id set a meeting with Walder and offer him to Marry a Frey myself (which I will choose). I may not be young anymore but I only have one son. A Frey-Tully boy will be Edmure's heir until Edmure have children. I also make sure that I will attend to all Walder's weddings. Walder shouldn't complain too much. After all he's got alot of children to marry off and marrying a Tully isn't the worst of fates. 

b- I will give my consent for Cat to marry Brandon Stark, securing an alliance with the North. 

c- I start negotiations with Tywin to have my son marry his daughter. The Lannister's pride is wounded having been humiliated by Aerys the way they did, so hopefully Id be able to exploit that to my favour. The Lannister's money + the Starks army would provide the peace of mind I need for the future. If that fails Id start negotiations with other families (ex the Martells) if that also fail then Id wait until a big house have a daughter.

d- Id offer Brynden a truce. My terms will be pretty generous. Brynden will be offered a keep + lands,  he will be Edmure's tutor and my right hand man. However he must agree to marry somebody from my choosing. I hope to have him marry a Florent, a Redwyne or a Royce. 

e- I'd start negotiations to have Lysa marrying Willas Tyrell. She's slightly older then Willas (around 3 years) but I promise a rich dowry (the Frey's dowry)  if Mace accept. An alliance between Tyrells, Lannisters and Starks will bring prosperity and stability to the land

I like this. However, I would make a substitution.

If I were the widower Hoster, rather than marrying a Frey (which would be unnecessary if Hoster would just treat Walder with a little more respect) I would marry littlefinger to the Freys and give him a good piece of land to be lord over. This way you can be respectful of the Frey's without throwing an ace at them.

Then, I would, as the Widower Hoster Tully, begin courting, the widow Olyenna Tyrell. Who knows, maybe at that point the old gal still had a few tingles left and even if not it would be hard to deny the strength of an Alliance that included the North, The Riverlands, the Vale and Highgarden all bound together by marriage...especially if the West could be brought in too. As aerys became more and more unstable this would be an alliance that would, if it stayed strong, assure the survival off all the major houses.

Brynden wont marry. He had chances and didnt take them. Also he became Knight of Bloody Gate after Lysa went to Eyrie.

I would marry a Frey and do my best to establish control over Riverlands. Marry no one outside Riverlands and not be suspicious to Mad King. 

After rebelion starts I will see who has better chances and join them demanding marriages only then.

3 hours ago, YOVMO said:

If I were the widower Hoster, rather than marrying a Frey (which would be unnecessary if Hoster would just treat Walder with a little more respect) I would marry littlefinger to the Freys and give him a good piece of land to be lord over. This way you can be respectful of the Frey's without throwing an ace at them.

How would it be respectful to offer your most powerful vassal the hand of the smallest of small lords from a tiny stretch of land far on the Eastern coast instead of one of your own children. If anything it would be an insult, I don't think Hoster has the authority to offer Littlefinger anyway. 

1 hour ago, Trigger Warning said:

How would it be respectful to offer your most powerful vassal the hand of the smallest of small lords from a tiny stretch of land far on the Eastern coast instead of one of your own children. If anything it would be an insult, I don't think Hoster has the authority to offer Littlefinger anyway. 

Fair enough, but if Hoster, seeing little fingers potential, gave him a very well provisioned bit of land with good incomes he would effectively raise him up and then offering him to the Frey's would tie him in to the most powerful Vassel. 

Hoster er doesn't have that authority to be sure. But he would have the authority to make a deal with LF father at the time for richer lands in turn for this authority and I think Walder would see the value in bringing the two together so long as Hoster made LF a fair sized Riverlord.

of course all hypothetical and for fun

21 hours ago, YOVMO said:

I like this. However, I would make a substitution.

Then, I would, as the Widower Hoster Tully, begin courting, the widow Olyenna Tyrell. Who knows, maybe at that point the old gal still had a few tingles left and even if not it would be hard to deny the strength of an Alliance that included the North, The Riverlands, the Vale and Highgarden all bound together by marriage...especially if the West could be brought in too. As aerys became more and more unstable this would be an alliance that would, if it stayed strong, assure the survival off all the major houses.

The Freys are one of the strongest and richest families in the Riverlands + if the Riverlands are invaded than the only way the Starks have to provide quick assistance to Hoster is through the Twins. Therefore it would be wise for Hoster to butter them up a bit if possible. Hoster is old and already have 3 children including a heir. Marrying a beautiful Frey (a rare breed but its not impossible to find) would win him an ally and would secure safe passage to a stronger ally. You can't expect the North to lose half an army in trying to reach the Riverlands can't you? Especially if the enemy in question happen to be your bannermen

Olyenna doesn't trust her oaf son enough to let him rule the Reach by himself. Also I think that Hoster risked big by having just 1 son and having a fertile Frey at his side will help having more children (hopefully sons). 

19 hours ago, dariopatke said:

Brynden wont marry. He had chances and didnt take them. Also he became Knight of Bloody Gate after Lysa went to Eyrie.

I would marry a Frey and do my best to establish control over Riverlands. Marry no one outside Riverlands and not be suspicious to Mad King. 

After rebelion starts I will see who has better chances and join them demanding marriages only then.

There's nothing wrong in trying. Brynden love the Riverlands and his own brother. Who knows maybe a keep, the chance of training the future Lord Paramount and the choice of marrying a girl from a small shortlist may be enough to convince him to turn tail in the right direction

18 hours ago, Trigger Warning said:

I agree.

4 hours ago, devilish said:

There's nothing wrong in trying. Brynden love the Riverlands and his own brother. Who knows maybe a keep, the chance of training the future Lord Paramount and the choice of marrying a girl from a small shortlist may be enough to convince him to turn tail in the right direction

I'm not so sure ol' Brynden would be interested in marrying a girl not matter how short the list.

23 minutes ago, Ser Hyle said:

I'm not so sure ol' Brynden would be interested in marrying a girl not matter how short the list.

If you are implying that Brynden is not interested in females, then I have had the same thought. Though I do not know how many people feel that is the truth of the matter as I do not see that brought up much, if at all..

What do you all think would be the most important things Hoster would need to accomplish in this scenario? My thoughts are:

1. Strengthen and secure the Riverlands. Certainly he needs the Freys for this.

2. Strengthen our borders by creating stronger allies. This means the Vale, Westerlands, and Reach. 

First, I've left out the North. As others have already posted, the Twins hold the key to protecting our lands from Northern invasion. Also, historically the Northmen have,shown little interest toward invading their neighbors, so that leaves Car available.

I too like the idea of Hoster marrying a Frey. This marriage, plus the appointment of a few of Walders sons to semi-important posts, along with treating his pettyness, Lord Frey, like someone special...at least to his face, should secure our northern borders and placate our most powerful vassal. 

Next, I look West and find a match Tyson Lannister will agree to. My first thought is Jaime and Cat. If that won't work, perhaps Lysa and the son of a strong Lannister outside Casterly Rock. But, I would make an alliance with Tywin a top priority. 

Assuming I secured Jaime and Cat before Jaime became a Kingsguard, I use Edmure to gain the Reach. Margery Tyrell should be close enough to age to make this happen. Her family is looking to strengthen itself, and marrying the heir of Riverrun would be a good match for them.

As for Brynden...I'm not sure what can be done. Certainly, Hoster should make peace and bring him home.I'm under the impression that the Blackfish doesn't like women. But, if he is open to marriage, i would give him options in the Storm lands, Crownlands, and Dorne.

7 hours ago, Ser Hyle said:

I agree. However he's a Tully whose hardwired to marry people he doesn't like for the good of the family. I think Hoster mismanaged him badly just as he did with Lysa, Littlefinger and Old Walder

Other than keeping him away from his own daughters, I don't think Hoster has any say in who Littlefinger marries or doesn't marry.

And as far as we know Petyr's own father was still alive at that time, wasn't he?

On 7/22/2016 at 4:59 PM, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

If you are implying that Brynden is not interested in females, then I have had the same thought. Though I do not know how many people feel that is the truth of the matter as I do not see that brought up much, if at all..

That is the implication I was making. I don't think there's really any allusions to it in the text though other than the fact that he's never married or been in a relationship with anyone as far as we know.

Archived