Val and Daario

Turkish Delight

1 minute ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Exactly, it seems that this is a try to demolish Val in order to make Dany and Jon happen when there is almost nothing to point that and while trying to do that you ignore all the differences between Daario and Val because they don't fit on your assumption.

In no way does this post imply that Dany and Jon will get together, nor do I hold the opinion that they should or will end up in a romantic relationship. Pointing out that there are some differences between two characters does not negate the fact that there are similarities between them, too. The differences and similarities are the point of discussion brought up by the original question.

2 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

Exactly, it seems that this is abattempt to demolish Val in order to make Dany and Jon happen when there is almost nothing to point that and while trying to do that you ignore all the differences between Daario and Val because they don't fit on your assumption.

Agree with you, and I don't think the 'element of horror' in what Val says about Shireen is comparable with Daario's heartless ways. Here's the quote about Shireen:

"The maesters may believe what they wish. Ask a woods witch if you would know the truth. The grey deathsleeps, only to wake again. The child is not clean."

As I've stated numerous times, there's nothing vindictive or cruel about what she says, its simply her belief and the knowledge she was raised to believe. I'm putting my money on the woods witch & Val being right. 

12 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

In no way does this post imply that Dany and Jon will get together, nor do I hold the opinion that they should or will end up in a romantic relationship. Pointing out that there are some differences between two characters does not negate the fact that there are similarities between them, too. The differences and similarities are the point of discussion brought up by the original question.

It may not being the point of this thread but it seemed that way.

8 minutes ago, OuttaOldtown said:

Agree with you, and I don't think the 'element of horror' in what Val says about Shireen is comparable with Daario's heartless ways. Here's the quote about Shireen:

"The maesters may believe what they wish. Ask a woods witch if you would know the truth. The grey deathsleeps, only to wake again. The child is not clean."

As I've stated numerous times, there's nothing vindictive or cruel about what she says, its simply her belief and the knowledge she was raised to believe. I'm putting my money on the woods witch & Val being right. 

Great observation! 

3 minutes ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

19 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

It may not being the point of this thread but it seemed that way.

Then I apologize if it came across that way to you, but it is not the endgame of this post, I can assure you. None of the three questions I asked dealt with a Dany-Jon relationship. The bigger question did address that larger parallels/foils between Jon and Dany, but it's a leap in logic to assume that acknowledging this means shipping them.

13 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

In looking at the parallels between Jon and Dany, I've decided to take a closer look at Val and Daario. I know that they've been discussed and compared on other websites, but I haven't read much on this website (please direct me to a thread if I'm mistaken). There are a few things to note:

1. Jon meets Val in a parley with Mance Raider. Dany first meets Daario at the parley with her army and the Stormcrows.
  2. Both Val and Daario fulfill "ambassador" roles -- Daario with the Lhazareen and Val with Tormund.
  3. There is an element of horror associated with both Daario and Val. To Jon's discomfort, Val comments on Shireen's grayscale, and to Dany's horror, Daario makes some....unhelpful (let's just leave it at that) comments on achieving peace in Meereen.

So Daario and Val have run along similar courses thus far, with the exception being that Jon's relationship with Val is still hypothetical and at best uses a future tense since there's only been flirtation between the two of them. This leads me to the following questions:

1. What are some other similarities between Val and Daario?
  2. What is the bigger purpose of these characters to the main story line/the twin plots of Jon and Dany?
  3. What will be the fate of Daario now that Dany has flown off with Drogo? Will the Yunkai'i simply keep him in suspended story animation until the dragons are dead? And what is the fate of Val in the aftermath of Jon's stabbing? Will the fates of Daario and Val mirror each other?

If I am reading you correctly you are looking for feedback on Martin’s writing style, as in where the story is going. And opinions.

I don’t pay much attention to Dany’s chapters, but I would say that Daario is Dany’s stereotypical bad boy or boy toy, whichever you prefer. Theirs is a consummated sexual relation but socially and politically it goes nowhere. Someone correct me if I am making a mistake, but I seem to remember Daario is a captive/hostage of one of the characters involved in the Meereen storyline.

Jon and Val have flirtatious interaction betwixt them. Kinda like, sexual lust that is not gonna happen, but men & women fantasize about anyway.

I don’t know if Daario is gonna die, but I think Dany will kick him to the curb so to speak because he does not fit the social requirements she needs.

The fate of Val after Jon’s stabbing is a whole different ball of wax because Martin has left me in a lurch. I personally believe Jon is wounded, but that don’t mean nuttin.

Even the Dany storyline is a bit iffy because all I know is that she went to stand beside her dragon when the Dothraki found her.

Actually both Jon and Dany are left in limbo at the end of DwD. So are the fates of Daario and Val. That is until WoW is released.

29 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Val is a Valkyrie who missed her left turn at Albuquerque and wound up in the wrong story.

This is before GPS, she started out in Bayonne and ended up in Santa Fe via Albuquerque. Do you have any idea how difficult it was for me to type Albuquerque. I swear by the old gods and the new I now understand where Martin came up with some of his locations.

15 hours ago, Turkish Delight said:

I have a hunch that this comment's only reason is to say, "yada yada yada Val HAS to be with Jon because I want them together yada yada yada any exploration of Val's character that doesn't inevitably lead to this conclusion is obviously wrong yada yada yada."

Which is ridiculous because we all know that Daario is the romantic fire that's going to melt Jon's ice.

Archived