U.S. Elections: The Trumph of the Will

lokisnow

25 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I mean, that's bad enough, isn't it? The DNC isn't really supposed to have its thumb on the scale.

Having an opinion is different then having a thumb on the scale. Everyone already knew the people at the DNC preferred Sanders to Clinton. There's no suggestion or evidence anyone actually did anything.

Most of the things you see labelled as "shocking" or whatever are things like "DNC people planning what to do now that Sanders is done for, but in April!" or the like.

48 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I mean, that's bad enough, isn't it? The DNC isn't really supposed to have its thumb on the scale.

For me personally yes but this sort of scumbaggery just looks like business as usual politics for both parties to me, and nobody has ever seemed to care  much about it.

Most ppl are already in too deep with their agendas and ideologies to sincerely acknowledge any fuckery going on by the time they find out about Lord Xenu

52 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Bad enough for what? It certainly proves what almost everybody suspected all along, but thus far there has been no evidence of any activities that call the results of any primaries or caucuses into question. That the DNC circulated anti-Sanders propaganda without attribution to itself and set traps for Sanders in the debates is unethical, but it is not illegal and I doubt it will change anyone's opinion ("unethical, but not illegal" might as well be a slogan of the Clinton campaign). Of course, if it turns out that there is evidence of genuine election fraud (e.g. of deliberately purging the party voter rolls in states with closed primaries), that would be an entirely different matter, but as it stands, this won't do much for Sanders or against Clinton.

Indeed, the only emails that might stop Clinton are the unredacted, classified ones from her server. It would be very interesting if somebody posted those to Wikileaks, but of course, even if anyone has them, the time to post them with maximum impact would be mid-to-late October.

this should remove any doubt that Putin has every communication from Hillary's server

he is feeding the DNC emails to Wikileaks (which strangely, doesn't ever leak damaging Russian stuff!) to help Trump

9 minutes ago, Commodore said:

this should remove any doubt that Putin has every communication from Hillary's server

he is feeding the DNC emails to Wikileaks (which strangely, doesn't ever leak damaging Russian stuff!) to help Trump

I didn't think any of these emails were from Hillary's server? I thought these were from top DNC people?

Just now, Mexal said:

I didn't think any of these emails were from Hillary's server? I thought these were from top DNC people?

point being, one is just as easy to hack as the other, and he has an obvious incentive/motive

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

They are. The rest about the Russian government using Wikileaks is pretty much spot on though.

Also, there's this too:

Wikileaks deliberately left the personal information in the info dump. Cause of course they did.

I think it is a plausible assumption that foreign powers have the Clinton emails. We know from previous leaks that our own agencies spy on the personal communication of foreign leaders -- even supposedly allied ones like Merkel. If our rivals from across the oceans do the same thing, they may have become aware of the Clinton server at which point considerable resources would have been devoted to hacking it (how often do you see such tasty fruit on a low branch?). Of course, there is no proof so far and there probably will not be any unless they do have the emails and decide to release them.

16 minutes ago, Commodore said:

it Putin has them and thinks it will help Trump, gotta think Wikileaks will release them at some point

Maybe and maybe not. Trump is unpredictable. He speaks as though he'll be friendlier to Russia than Clinton, but it could be that he's angling for precisely such a release and if they do release the emails and he's elected, they have no hold on him anymore. It might make more sense to make a deal with Clinton about some specific issue (e.g. Ukraine) as she'll still have an incentive to follow through on it even after the election.

Yeah storing unencrypted CC info is beyond inexcusable. Kind of par for the course for political orgs though, they don't know shit about shit.

2 hours ago, Altherion said:

Bad enough for what? It certainly proves what almost everybody suspected all along, but thus far there has been no evidence of any activities that call the results of any primaries or caucuses into question. That the DNC circulated anti-Sanders propaganda without attribution to itself and set traps for Sanders in the debates is unethical, but it is not illegal and I doubt it will change anyone's opinion ("unethical, but not illegal" might as well be a slogan of the Clinton campaign). Of course, if it turns out that there is evidence of genuine election fraud (e.g. of deliberately purging the party voter rolls in states with closed primaries), that would be an entirely different matter, but as it stands, this won't do much for Sanders or against Clinton.

Indeed, the only emails that might stop Clinton are the unredacted, classified ones from her server. It would be very interesting if somebody posted those to Wikileaks, but of course, even if anyone has them, the time to post them with maximum impact would be mid-to-late October.

I'm not saying it's illegal -- but the DNC has no business trying to force a particular outcome. It may not be illegal, but it's a real bad look. The DNC should not be in the tank for a candidate.

8 hours ago, Inigima said:

So, does anything in this DNC email leak actually matter? Reddit is in a tizzy, but that doesn't mean much. Major "real" papers or news sites don't seem to be reporting on it.

The problem now is people are data mining the emails for where they quoted GOP contender's speeches about Bernie, and claiming the that was the DNC's words.  I don't care for DWS, but this is really headed off into lala land.

19 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I'm not saying it's illegal -- but the DNC has no business trying to force a particular outcome. It may not be illegal, but it's a real bad look. The DNC should not be in the tank for a candidate.

Why not?

It looks like the email leaks are slowly seeping into the mainstream media. The Miami Herald has an instance of a Clinton lawyer telling the DNC what to do:

Another, from a lawyer for the Clinton campaign, suggests a response the DNC should use to refute claims by Sanders that the Clinton campaign was improperly using a joint fundraising committee with the party to raise money that provided benefits to Clinton during the primary season. "The DNC should push back DIRECTLY at Sanders and say that what he is saying is false and harmful the the [sic] Democratic party," attorney Marc Elias wrote in a note to Miranda on May 3. Elias did not respond to a request for comment late Friday.

Let's see if this makes it to the national media before the Democratic convention is over.

Here's another interesting one: it shows a Politico reporter vetting his story with the DNC. Combine that with the anti-Sanders bias and certain facts about the coverage of the election become less puzzling, at least for lesser media (I don't think they could get such an agreement with the New York Times or Washington Post).

Archived