U.S. Elections: The Trumph of the Will

lokisnow

Beyond that, of course, that comment there is not whining about Sanders' supporters, it's me pointing out that this has been an issue for a long time now. That the problems with DWS are not "she rigged the primary!" (which she didn't), but that she's a fucking awful head of the DNC. So when y'all are like "But that would mean she's a bad person" in response to what I'm saying about her resigning, the answer is "Yes, and?". She's been awful for years now. She was not gonna go quietly.

It doesn't matter if Sanders' supporters or anyone didn't know about this years ago. Most people didn't. That's fine. But, like, it's still there. She's awful in ways that have nothing to do with this primary and that make what's going on with her these last few days rather easy to understand.

The worst part of the optics of it all, and I think I fall into Kal's camp on where I stand on it all, is the extra bump in Libertarian stuff I keep seeing on social media from younger people who want nothing to do with Trump, but are so invested in the negative media portrayals (real or trumped up) over Hillary, that they can't talk about anything else other than Gary Johnson now.  It's galling and I'm terrified it'll lead to a Trump win.

Now I'm off to figure out how to register to vote in Virginia...

33 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I got to say that I think the optics suck.  If you really want the good of the party, swallow your pride, sit it out, and hope for an ambassadorship someplace.  But everything I have seen, she would not go quietly. . . but who knows, this level of internecine fighting is so wonky and ridiculous.

BTW, many will probably disagree, but for people like me, it is Bloomberg's endorsement I will be watching the most closely.  

Her plan for when she heard Obama wanted her gone was to threaten to unleash a ton of stuff saying he was anti-Semitic and anti-woman.  She absolutely is/was willing to out herself in front of her party.

The optics are only terrible if you can't grasp the concept of putting someone out to pasture.  She's not even Clinton's campaign chair, she's chair of Clinton's 50 state campaign plan.  It's a meaningless position, she has been fired and for good reason, be happy.

15 hours ago, Maester Drew said:

He wants to end the drug war, is a non-interventionist, supports LGBT rights, is pro-choice, wants to protect the 2nd Amendment, and so on.

He is also a constitutional originalist, and a States Rights absolutist.  He believes that the way to spend money on social issues is to write big checks to either the States (via block grants), companies, or religious institutions.

All this means that he wants to privatize as much as possible (including prisons, Medicare and Social Security) - which is an anathema to social issues.  And that which he can't privatize he will write a blank check to the States.  The states have abused this money over and over.  He may as well throw Paul Ryan right in the briar patch.

Get educated on this. You are very deluded if you think Johnson is in the right about social issues.  He may say the right things, but he doesn't want to DO the right things to get it done.

8 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

Get educated on this. You are very deluded if you think Johnson is in the right about social issues.  He may say the right things, but he doesn't want to DO the right things to get it done.

That's because the Libertarian philosophy doesn't allow for it. Once you wear that straight-jacket of minimalistic government you give up most of your tools to solve problems.

10 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

He is also a constitutional originalist, and a States Rights absolutist.  He believes that the way to spend money on social issues is to write big checks to either the States (via block grants), companies, or religious institutions.

All this means that he wants to privatize as much as possible (including prisons, Medicare and Social Security) - which is an anathema to social issues.  And that which he can't privatize he will write a blank check to the States.  The states have abused this money over and over.  He may as well throw Paul Ryan right in the briar patch.

But he did call Trump a pussy

10 minutes ago, BloodRider said:

What articles/sites do you recommend for education?  Because people need as much ammo as possible to realize he's not a truly viable candidate.

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Sure. And she still threatens and calls your bluff. She says she will make her money and time on tell all books and the talk show circuit. I just don't think that threat is that big a deal.

I can just see the title of the book now:

"DWS: How I Screwed Over My Friend, Preferred Candidate and Party and Made Trump President"

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What articles/sites do you recommend for education?  Because people need as much ammo as possible to realize he's not a truly viable candidate.

Here's one from last time he ran for POTUS: https://pando.com/2016/01/08/gary-johnson-swindle-and-degradation-third-party-politics/

20 hours ago, TrackerNeil said:

We'll see what happens in November, although I don't know why you think that makes a difference. 

As to your second point, the job of the DNC is to elect Democrats. Sanders was not a Democrat, so how is there an ethical violation here?

? Bernie Sanders has been a democrat since 2015. It doesn't take much, maybe $10 a year. I'm not sure where you are coming from really.

Archived