Shooting in Munich

Which Tyler

Live reporting: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-36870986

Summary

1. At least three people have been killed after a shooting at the Olympia shopping mall in Munich, Germany
  2. An unknown number have been injured
  3. Police say they think there are several attackers, who are on the run
  4. There is a major police presence at the scene in the city's Moosach district
  5. People are being urged to stay at home and avoid the streets
  6. Earlier reports of a second shooting in the city centre turn out to be false alarm

Point 6 is very good news - and seems to have appeared in the last minute or two.

To anyone there, stay indoors, and stay safe.

I am just on my holiday here in Munich and I just arrived safely in my hotel. But it is really scary to hear those ambulances. 

Stay safe everyone!

2 hours ago, Eyelesbarrow said:

Stay safe Munich boarders!  And to German boarders with family/friends in München, I hope they are OK. 

Just to quibble, I am sure I am not the only non German EU citizen with family/friends in Munich. (Even though, thanks to that referendum, I may not remain an EU citizen much longer.)

Thankfully mine are safe, though as these people are apparently still on the loose, we perhaps should not relax yet.

I also hope everyone else's are safe too.

:grouphug:

According to the police the gunman was an 18 year old German-Iranian who killed himself and acted alone and 9 people where murdered. ( I watched the press conference a few hours ago during night-shift and got no link in english.)

A horrible crime and I fear it will only enlarge the rifts in our society. :(

8 hours ago, A wilding said:

Just to quibble, I am sure I am not the only non German EU citizen with family/friends in Munich. (Even though, thanks to that referendum, I may not remain an EU citizen much longer.)

Thankfully mine are safe, though as these people are apparently still on the loose, we perhaps should not relax yet.

You're right - should have put Germany-based boarders. Anyways, glad yours were unharmed. 

6 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

According to thr BBC the Germans think he was inspired by Anders Breivik rather than IS

Yeah. The spin has started. A German-Iranian is somehow associated with right wing terrorism. Sounds likely.

Probably he was inspired to committ an act of mass murder by previous mass murderers. Of which Brevik is an obvious example. That is a far cry from being associated with any kind of ideology that leans to the right of the spectrum.

Yes. David is not exactly the name an IS inspired jihadi would pick anyway. Overall this seems to be more the act of a disturbed young man, and not some terrorist act. Currently reporting goes as follows. This guy had suffered from mobbing in school (mainly from his peers with a Turkish heritage, and they were his prefered targets), apparently he had been hospitalized with some axis 1 disorder (from the depression spectrum). So basically ISIL claimed credit for something yesterday, they had nothing to do with. 

4 minutes ago, Notone said:

Yes. David is not exactly the name an IS inspired jihadi would pick anyway. Overall this seems to be more the act of a disturbed young man, and not some terrorist act. Currently reporting goes as follows. This guy had suffered from mobbing in school (mainly from his peers with a Turkish heritage, and they were his prefered targets), apparently he had been hospitalized with some axis 1 disorder (from the depression spectrum). So basically ISIL claimed credit for something yesterday, they had nothing to do with.

Not sure why anyone ever doubts they do this...it's literally win-win for them. It's getting to ride for free. I have no idea if this is an example, but people act like they'd, I don't know...be above that kind of thing. They aren't doing these killings as a kind of honour bound score card, they want to generate reaction, resistance, prejudice, hostility and ultimately invasion. Why on earth wouldn't they use w/e tools come to hand?

Don't ask me, I just wanted to stress that again, because the first reflex apparently was: "That was a terrorist attack, so it had to be an Islamist link." Of course, pointing out that minor thing called reality won't stop right wing loons from making that connection. 

10 minutes ago, Notone said:

Don't ask me, I just wanted to stress that again, because the first reflex apparently was: "That was a terrorist attack, so it had to be an Islamist link." Of course, pointing out that minor thing called reality won't stop right wing loons from making that connection. 

Yeah, the irony being that the right wing reaction is exactly what they're banking on. Poli-sci line: The Democrats behave in accordance with how Americans want to see themselves, the Republicans behave more like how other people view Americans.

Archived