RIP VCRs

Corvinus85

You might say why is this news in 2016, but it appears that the production of VCRs has lasted until this year. https://www.yahoo.com/news/rip-vhs-last-remaining-vcr-172201951.html

Funai, the last remaining manufacturer of the VCR, will cease production of the players by the end of the month, according to Japanese newspaper The Nikkei (via Anime News Network). The company is citing a declining market and increasing difficulty in sourcing parts as the reasons behind the decision.

While Funai might not be a household name in the West, it did sell VCRs in North America, under the Sanyo brand name. With the rise in popularity of streaming services like Netflix, the declining market for VCRs might not come as a surprise, but something else might: how well they were still selling. Funai reportedly sold 750,000 VCRs in 2015.

In a sad way, it seems fitting that, as 2016 has marked the passing of several beloved celebrities that made their mark in the 70s and 80s, it is also marking the total end of a household entertainment product of those decades as well.

If anyone has any stories to share about their VCRs or how they destroyed their favorite VHS tapes, please do.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

You might say why is this news in 2016, but it appears that the production of VCRs has lasted until this year.

That's bizarre. I could understand tapes still being made, but players?!? I've still got some VHS tapes, but it's been a long time since I watched one.

3 hours ago, felice said:

That's bizarre. I could understand tapes still being made, but players?!? I've still got some VHS tapes, but it's been a long time since I watched one.

Well, considering Sony produced the last Betamax player in 2002 and I think the last Betamax tape earlier this year, I´m not at all surprised by new VHS players being produced until now. I´d guess a lot of the sales were for security systems used by small businesses.

My video collection included Oliver!, Pokemon the Movie (well we had two. The one with Mewtoo and to one with Lugia/Moltres/Zapdos/Articuno) Rosie and Jim, and a collection of Disney videos (Snow White was well used). They are still up in the attic

Archived