Most unintelligent character in the series?

FacelessDude

I was thinking about who the most unintelligent character is in the series is (in all of Planetos) and I'm still trying to narrow it down. I'm not including Hodor on the list because he is the most obvious first choice. Patchface I don't consider the dumbest either because even though his mind and body are broken, he wasn't born that way. In aCoK it's mentioned that Patchface is nimble and witty, but after Windproud (Steffon Baratheon's two-masted galley) is shipwrecked on the way to Storm's End he is found days later, his mind and body broken.

Since he is only able to spout prophecy I do find him somewhat dim. 

Many of the jesters and fools in a Song of Ice and Fire can be considered actual simpletons with IQs bordering on mental retardation. Some of them are just misfits or weirdos though. Take Shagwell of the Brave Companions for instance. I don't think he is unintelligent, just a psychotic psychopath. 

Moon Boy, a fool, is seen by others in King's Landing as another simpleton. Dontos Hollard says that he doesn't think Moon Boy is actually simple though and that he is probably faking it.

Then there's Lollys Stokeworth. Lollys is obviously simple-minded but she can still function at a low level and she can hold a conversation. So after really putting thought into who the stupidest character in the series is I've come to the conclusion that Jinglebell (Aegon Frey) is by far the slowest character. Catelyn witnesses him drooling out of the mouth and jumping up and down to music at the Red Wedding, he is not able to speak either.

22 minutes ago, AdesteFideles said:

Victarion Greyjoy. Especially as he thinks he's so clever.

He is not the sharpest sword at the forge, that's for sure.

If everyone is fair game including those with obvious disabilities, I will probably go with Jinglebell too.

If we were to disqualify those with obvious mental disabilities (which I think would make for a more lively debate), my vote goes to Pate.

36 minutes ago, AdesteFideles said:

Victarion Greyjoy. Especially as he thinks he's so clever.

Victarion is a big dumb brute who is better at taking commands from his brothers, especially Balon. I couldn't help but feel ashamed for the maester Kerwin when he was raped by four of Victarion's sailors. I don't know why but I laughed when I came to the part where Victarion throws his corpse overboard. 

4 hours ago, Aldric said:

Mord seemed pretty dumb. Maybe not the level of fools and the mentally disabled (like Jinglebell or Hodor), but pretty unintelligent. 

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about Mord as a character. I would say he's second in line for the dumbest person in Westeros.

7 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

Cersei may be intelligent but she has made the most unintelligent decisions in the series IMO.

But she is Better than Ned Stark. Surely Ned is somewhere in the bottom of the list in intelligence. 

Sometimes "simple" characters like Lollys Stokeworth,Patchface and Jinglebell can be more clever than "intelligent" characters. Catelyn,Cersei,Ned,Robert,Twyin,Tyrion,Robb have made some very stupid decisions despite being intelligent. Robert Baratheon is the worst to me.

1 hour ago, King Endymion Targaryen said:

Sometimes "simple" characters like Lollys Stokeworth,Patchface and Jinglebell can be more clever than "intelligent" characters. Catelyn,Cersei,Ned,Robert,Twyin,Tyrion,Robb have made some very stupid decisions despite being intelligent. Robert Baratheon is the worst to me.

Just curious, what do you think Robert and Tywin did that was stupid?

Tywin being blind of Jaime and Cersei?

14 hours ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

If we were to disqualify those with obvious mental disabilities (which I think would make for a more lively debate), my vote goes to Pate.

Which Pate?  The Citadel guy?  The one who married Gatehouse Ami after she was caught having sex with 3 men at the same time?  Tommen's whipping boy?  One all characters named Pate (they never have a good fate)?

54 minutes ago, nara said:

Which Pate?  The Citadel guy?  The one who married Gatehouse Ami after she was caught having sex with 3 men at the same time?  Tommen's whipping boy?  One all characters named Pate (they never have a good fate)?

The dunce from the Citadel.

1 hour ago, dariopatke said:

Just curious, what do you think Robert and Tywin did that was stupid?

Tywin being blind of Jaime and Cersei?

Robert was stupid in that he never mastered himself and couldn't handle conflict. All of his excesses, from drinking to whoring and everything in between served to weaken the realm and led to his own early demise at the hands of a wife who hated him. He was was stupid to give Storm's End to Renly rather than Stannis. He was stupid to allow his wife to fill King's Landing with Lannister men, to let her fill the Kingsguard with spunk lollies and he was stupid to think a man like Eddard Stark would ever have been a decent Hand.

Tywin being blind to Jaime and Cersei is pretty stupid. It's about as oblivious as Jon Arryn not knowing what his wife was. Also, Tywin's stupidity can be extended to the cruelty with which he treated Tyrion all of his life. Starting especially with what he did to Tyrion's first wife. A man can only take so much abuse before he snaps and strikes back.

Hodor and Jinglebell seem to have an intellectual disability so I will not count them because they weren't able to be better.

Characters who seem to not have a disability but their actions are what make them stupid are; 

Cat and he decision to first handle her daughters to the enemy, she could claim that after what happenned to Bran she wanted them close to her but obviously her ambitions got in the way, arresting Tyrion and abandoned her children to play war.

Dany; her whole Slaver's bay storyline is a pile of stupid and vile actions. She take hostages without knowing what she will do with them, she orders the death one 163 people and numberless children over 12 years old. something that she wasn't sure that could happen, *breaks the chains* yet she has no plan for the future and my personal favorite is that she basically said that since she abandoned her home she lost any claim.

Ned and his decision to speak to Cersei. Stupid.

Jaime for following Cersei.

Cersei in general.

Jon Con and following FAegon.

Robb and his decision to *save* Robb and his wedding. He didn't followed Spock's advice *The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one.*

Rhaegar's whole life.

Lyanna's whole life.

16 hours ago, Aldric said:

Mord seemed pretty dumb. Maybe not the level of fools and the mentally disabled (like Jinglebell or Hodor), but pretty unintelligent. 

Agreed. Mord all the way. I like the idea of ruling out the mentally retarded, but I guess it is hard to say where stupidity ends and disability begins.

Archived