Most unintelligent character in the series?

FacelessDude

2 hours ago, BlueNightzx said:

Cersei
she is the grand champion of stupid decisions and empty smugness, she puts robb stark and theon to shame.

Cersei is a "one move player." She's fairly cunning when playing for the immediate results. She is absolutely incapable of any sort of long game. 

1 hour ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

Cersei is a "one more player." She's fairly cunning when playing for the immediate results. She is absolutely incapable of any sort of long game. 

Cersei eventually lets her paranoia get the best of her. Her POV chapters in Feast are my favorite. Her paranoia and emotional instability worsen the further in to Feast you go. Cersei is already pretentious enough when she's introduced in the first book. 

When she expels Mace Tyrell from the small council she just makes things even worse for herself. 

On 7/23/2016 at 6:13 AM, khal drogon said:

But she is Better than Ned Stark. Surely Ned is somewhere in the bottom of the list in intelligence. 

Just a little bit.  The most unintelligent will be one of the three listed below

Most Unintelligent Characters in the Series

1. Sansa Stark
  2. Jon Snow
  3. Brandon Stark (Ned's brother)

On 7/23/2016 at 9:30 PM, blckp said:

Jon Snow all his decisions dumb and generally he has low intellect,

Mace Tryell generally he has low intellect

Ned Stark -generally he has low intellect

Cersei - blinded by prophecy and lannister might, thus belittles others

most of ironborns and straks pretty dumb

Good choices.  I especially agree with your choice of Jon.  Please add Brandon Stark to the list.  It is beyond dumb to publicly threaten to murder the son of your king. 

12 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

No one obligated Ned to say Cersei his plans and she didn't obligated Robb to refuse bend the knee. She killed her husband and sent a letter true. However the way the other characters acted was entirely their fault.

I kind of yes. However I don't believe that jealousy was a reason.

You don't believe jealousy was a contributor to her crazy? She hurt Sansa and later almost through her out the Moon Door because she thought her niece was knocking boots with Petyr. Also, whether it is explicitly acknowledged in the story or not, I do believe that some of the tension between Lysa and Catelyn is because, in Lysa's eyes, her sister got the happily-ever-after. Sure, the initial betrothal to Brandon didn't work out, but Catelyn grew to love her husband, and was blessed with five children, whereas Lysa had to marry an old man who had more important things to do than try to make love grow between himself and his wife, and she had a very hard time bringing a child into the world and keeping it alive. Part of Lysa's paranoia in regards to Sansa is that she looks like Catelyn, who Petyr had always preferred between the two sisters.

Lysa was definitely jealous, and that, combined with her paranoia for her son's safety, and her hard marriage/familial relationships, made her crazy.

I never thought of Cersei as an intelligent person at all. I always thought of her as being completely full of herself and delusional. Arming the faith was one of the stupidest decisions she could of ever made. She constantly is making enemies of people she shouldn't and allying with the wrong people.

She likes to fancy herself "Tywin's true heir" but I've always thought of her as a proud idiot. And yes she did outplay Ned, and no offense to Ned he was a great guy but you'd have more of a challenge trying to outwit a toad than Ned Stark.

9 hours ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

I never thought of Cersei as an intelligent person at all. I always thought of her as being completely full of herself and delusional. Arming the faith was one of the stupidest decisions she could of ever made. She constantly is making enemies of people she shouldn't and allying with the wrong people.

She likes to fancy herself "Tywin's true heir" but I've always thought of her as a proud idiot. And yes she did outplay Ned, and no offense to Ned he was a great guy but you'd have more of a challenge trying to outwit a toad than Ned Stark.

I never thought of Cersei as smart or dumb. She appears to have an average intellect. But like I said earlier, she is pretentious and obviously conceited. When she looks at Jaime she is attracted to him (because he looks like her) and envious of him too simply because she wants to be man.

She understands that she lives in a patriarchal society and detests being married off. She hates men yet at the same time she wants to be one.

Maybe I missed the point of the thread, or I misunderstand the word "unintelligent" - but I just don't see how Cersei, Cat, Ned, Jon, Brandon, Tywin, Jaime, etc end up on this list. They all made bad decisions. They all made mistakes. Most of them paid for it. 

But what is a bad decision? We are all so smart in hindsight. I'm sure Tywin never would have guessed that him mistreating Tyrion would result in his death. Cat made decisions based on what she knew at the time - and she did make mistakes, but her being unintelligent? that's ridiculous (and I'm sort of a Cat-hater). Robb made so many clever moves - and one big mistake resulted in his death. Jon is one of the most intelligent guys in-story, I think - he sees the big picture and can think outside the box, yet under the circumstances he made certain moves that turned out to be mistakes - even though it might have worked out for him, if he is lucky. In hindsight, they were mistakes. But any other move would have been a mistake or could have bitten him in the ass later on. So that makes him dumb? 

If so, then everybody who is dead at this point is dumb. Everybody who ever did something that put him/her in a worse situation - is dumb. Everybody who did something that will likely bite him in the ass later on - is dumb. If we go by this definition, there is no intelligent person on Planetos, because everybody makes mistakes.

(I would go with Dumbledore here: the more intelligent you are, the bigger mistakes you make.)

Unintelligent: 

Apart from the known simpletons in the story, I nominate Selyse. I haven't seen her doing or saying anything that would make me think she is anything but stupid and ignorant.

10 hours ago, Arya Targaryen said:

Maybe I missed the point of the thread, or I misunderstand the word "unintelligent" - but I just don't see how Cersei, Cat, Ned, Jon, Brandon, Tywin, Jaime, etc end up on this list. They all made bad decisions. They all made mistakes. Most of them paid for it. 

But what is a bad decision? We are all so smart in hindsight. I'm sure Tywin never would have guessed that him mistreating Tyrion would result in his death. Cat made decisions based on what she knew at the time - and she did make mistakes, but her being unintelligent? that's ridiculous (and I'm sort of a Cat-hater). Robb made so many clever moves - and one big mistake resulted in his death. Jon is one of the most intelligent guys in-story, I think - he sees the big picture and can think outside the box, yet under the circumstances he made certain moves that turned out to be mistakes - even though it might have worked out for him, if he is lucky. In hindsight, they were mistakes. But any other move would have been a mistake or could have bitten him in the ass later on. So that makes him dumb? 

If so, then everybody who is dead at this point is dumb. Everybody who ever did something that put him/her in a worse situation - is dumb. Everybody who did something that will likely bite him in the ass later on - is dumb. If we go by this definition, there is no intelligent person on Planetos, because everybody makes mistakes.

(I would go with Dumbledore here: the more intelligent you are, the bigger mistakes you make.)

Unintelligent: 

Apart from the known simpletons in the story, I nominate Selyse. I haven't seen her doing or saying anything that would make me think she is anything but stupid and ignorant.

I agree. I think it's people wanting to shout some hate towards a popular charater they personally dislike. These people made mistakes but to say they are less intelligent than the likes of Bitter or Owen is ridiculous and unnecessary. 

Most unintelligent character in the series?

Jon Snow.  He lets Mance Rayder off the hook for his crimes against the kingdom and the night watch.  Sends him to Winterfell to rescue fake Arya.  Which is an act of war against the Boltons.  He gets the Pink Letter.  Then he calls a meeting and reveals the contents of the letter, which is basically making an admission in public that he has been committing treason. 

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 9:01 AM, Franklin VI said:

Just a little bit.  The most unintelligent will be one of the three listed below

Most Unintelligent Characters in the Series

1. Sansa Stark
  2. Jon Snow
  3. Brandon Stark (Ned's brother)

Agree with Brandon. Disagree with Sansa. Jon Snow I am not sure. We have not seen him taking enough decisions to judge him. He had a lot of things done for him and he took some stupid decisions but he has done nothing Ned level yet. 

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Arya Targaryen said:

Unintelligent: 

Ned definitely fit in dumb category. He is dumb enough to act on his plan against Cersei without securing his daughter's safety first and thus giving hostages to the Lannisters in case his plan failed. And there is the fact that he believed his plan would just work not considering the possibility of it backfiring on him at all. Him believing he had trapped Cersei and she would just leave even after him seeing how cleverly they had murdered Jon Arryn is the moment where he shows he is too dumb to survive. 

I agree with you about the others though. Others have shown error in judgement only in poor emotional states except Cersei who is not so bright.

On July 25, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Arya Targaryen said:

Unintelligent: 

I agree with you, the only POV character I would truly call dim-witted is Vic. I disagree with most of the other ones people are listing, mistakes and poor choices don't equal being unintelligent. 

On 25.7.2016 at 7:48 AM, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

Yep, Cersei is all conceitedness, she thinks she's much more skilled at politics than she is. She is just a power hungry bitch who has been outmanuevred by Littlefinger easily. And Varys.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2016 at 9:44 PM, khal drogon said:

Ned definitely fit in dumb category. He is dumb enough to act on his plan against Cersei without securing his daughter's safety first and thus giving hostages to the Lannisters in case his plan failed. And there is the fact that he believed his plan would just work not considering the possibility of it backfiring on him at all. Him believing he had trapped Cersei and she would just leave even after him seeing how cleverly they had murdered Jon Arryn is the moment where he shows he is too dumb to survive. 

I agree with you about the others though. Others have shown error in judgement only in poor emotional states except Cersei who is not so bright.

Ned was naive, not stupid. He was a fish out of water in Kings Landing and was too naive to assume people would just do the right thing. Not to mention completely underestimating Cersei. 

That, or the definition of stupidity is different to some people.

Edit: Also, it's not hard to see how Ned could have trusted Littlefinger in a moment of desperation. Only we as readers are aware of how much of a threat Petyr is.

25 minutes ago, Oakhearts head said:

Ned was naive, not stupid. He was a fish out of water in Kings Landing and was too naive to assume people would just do the right thing. Not to mention completely underestimating Cersei. 

That, or the definition of stupidity is different to some people.

Edit: Also, it's not hard to see how Ned could have trusted Littlefinger in a moment of desperation. Only we as readers are aware of how much of a threat Petyr is.

No, he didnt underestimate Cersei. Her way of "killing" Robert had such low chances of success, she was extremly lucky. His biggest mistake is trustig Baelish, but he did save his life. Another mistake, resigning as Hand. Another mistake, not backing Renly (imagine that, Stormlands, Reach, RR, North and II would be on the same page and Vale and Dorne neutral, a short war it would be). Another mistake, not backing Joffrey (he might lose Handship, but could likely stay in SC).

Archived