How was Wyman Manderly able to fight at the Trident when he's too fat to mount a horse?

mystickristoff

If we go by what Wyman himself said, he wasn't as fat and was actually a good rider.   He even claims to have "won some small acclaim in the lists".

While I'd guess that Wyman was always heavy, like his sons, he probably wasn't morbidly obese until later in life, possibly after injuries suffered at the trident.

His sons while overweight still manage to ride and fight alongside Robb well enough. As others have said 14 years is a long time to let yourself go. We see how unfit Robert became and he was arguably one of the greatest fighters in Westeros. Wyman at his peak was probably quite the hefty man.

We see this in real life, with figures like Henry VIII. He was actually quite fit and active in his youth, when he spent days hunting or jousting. Being a knight and Lord is a high intensity career. But as mentioned also above the injuries stack up. Both from wounds and probably from Osteoarthritis and other chronic impairments.

just look at King Robert... mid age spread... lots of drink and eating.. not much exercise, I think wars/fighting were the only means of exercise they would have had back then, so in times of peace probably a lot less training and more drinking/whoring/lazing about... i doubt they went for jogs :D

According to the asoiaf wiki:

"Wyman loved to ride horses as a boy and he won some small acclaim in the lists when he was a young man. However, he has grown too big to ride"

I think this implies that he was able to do these when he was a boy. When he grew up.. he became too fat.

26 minutes ago, mystickristoff said:

Oh so he was fit during Robert's Rebellion then.

Well, the Manderlys seem to be stocky by nature, and then bad eating habits makes it even worse as they age. It depends on your definition of 'fit', but yes, Wyman Manderly would have been perfectly able to fight during Robert's Rebellion.

What I'm curious about is whether his sons fought during Robert's Rebellion as well. They seem to be just about old enough, if the wiki's estimates are correct.

34 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Well, the Manderlys seem to be stocky by nature, and then bad eating habits makes it even worse as they age. It depends on your definition of 'fit', but yes, Wyman Manderly would have been perfectly able to fight during Robert's Rebellion.

What I'm curious about is whether his sons fought during Robert's Rebellion as well. They seem to be just about old enough, if the wiki's estimates are correct.

I'd have said Wylis was in his late 30's and Wendel his early 30's during the Wo5K, but I could be wrong and I haven't looked at the wiki. So with those ages, Wylis probably did fight in Roberts Rebellion, or at the very least served as a squire. Wendel may have been a bit young.

6 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

I'd have said Wylis was in his late 30's and Wendel his early 30's during the Wo5K, but I could be wrong and I haven't looked at the wiki. So with those ages, Wylis probably did fight in Roberts Rebellion, or at the very least served as a squire. Wendel may have been a bit young.

According to the wiki, they're in their 40s, so they definitely would have been fighting alongside their father. Maybe even got knighted during the rebellion. And they would have also been able to fight during the Greyjoy Rebellion as well. So they'd be among the more experienced men amongst Robb's nobles. 

10 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

So they'd be among the more experienced men amongst Robb's nobles. 

Well, to be fair, a lot of the men who served with Robb were probably fighting during Robert's Rebellion. Lords Karstark and Umber, for example. We can also assume that Maege Mormont would have been there, maybe Robin Flint and the Glovers too. Though it's basically guesswork.

19 hours ago, GallowsKnight said:

We see this in real life, with figures like Henry VIII. He was actually quite fit and active in his youth, when he spent days hunting or jousting. Being a knight and Lord is a high intensity career. But as mentioned also above the injuries stack up. Both from wounds and probably from Osteoarthritis and other chronic impairments.

It's particularly easy if you're prone towards fat, and back in the day feasting and generally eating was a great perk of being rich. Also showed status. And many athletes can tell you that it's very easy to get very fat if you keep the appetite, but lose the training regimen. 

12 hours ago, James Steller said:

Well, the Manderlys seem to be stocky by nature, and then bad eating habits makes it even worse as they age.

The Manderly's animal motiff is the Walrus. Really, it is, mermen legends were always inspired by various seals and walruses - it's not coincidence his house symbol is a Merman. In the Adriatic the folk name of the autochtone mediterranean seal (almost extinct today) is "The-man-of-the-sea" or literally "mer-man".

So I guess they grow into their Walrusdom with age? 

22 hours ago, mystickristoff said:

Ser Bartimus saved his life, which means he was at the battlefield, and not just at a safe distance. But how can this be when the guy is so fat that he can't even ride a horse anymore? I'm assuming he's much fatter than Boros Blount.

He's too fat to sit a horse now.  He wasn't too fat to sit a horse sixteen years ago.  I see no mystery.

He was a good rider as a boy and a young man. In 283 he would have been a bit over 40 years old. Starting to get heavy, and hell, it might even be the reason why he needed saving in the first place. His sons are about as old as he was back then, and they seem to be almost as fat as him. They can still ride, but not exactly warrior material. One son died with the leg of a chicken in his hand, the other was captured twice.

5 hours ago, Nyrhex said:

One son died with the leg of a chicken in his hand, the other was captured twice.

To be fair, Roose Bolton did deliberately sabotage both the battles in which Wylis was captured.

4 minutes ago, James Steller said:

To be fair, Roose Bolton did deliberately sabotage both the battles in which Wylis was captured.

The Green Fork was a stupid move from the get go, but it's not clear if it was also an intentional defeat. This would be an out of character risk for Roose to take, as had Tywin chose to pursue the broken Northmen, Roose might have found himself captive as well, or worse.

But point taken.

Archived