Justice League (2017)

PetyrPunkinhead

2 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Why stop at that? Just cast Batman as the (delusional) villain, an elitist member of the establishment whose aggressive vigilantism goes hand in hand with a remorseless protection of his own wealth. You could get some mileage out of the idea that by protecting his own wealth from fairer taxation, Batman does a lot more to keep the crime rate high than the could ever make up for by his relentless asskicking. Plus, the asskicking has a lot of negatives in it as well. Has anyone ever done a comic about children being frightened of him for instance (imagine a scenario where Bats beats up some bloke while his children are hiding under the bed. That would be pretty traumatizing)? 

Can't say that I have heard of them :) 

Oh, that is just so American :rofl:

It had a plot?

EDIT: I was thinking of the movie, forgot there was also a comic with the same name.

I meant the movie.  And somewhere in there amongst the mish mash of ideas was some classist conflict or some sort.

I get that this is very very early days but the effects they look like they're going for for Flash look rubbish. I understand that they want to differentiate from both the TV version and the two versions of Quicksilver, but they really should accept some similarities if the alternative is something that looks so shit and un-Flash-like.

2 hours ago, red snow said:

Now if someone ever made a film of Wildcats 3.0 we'd get a really interesting look at how money is a super power can fight crime and scare the establishment.

If we're going to plan hypothetical Wildstorm films, I wanna see Stormwatch, based on Ellis' run.

6 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I get that this is very very early days but the effects they look like they're going for for Flash look rubbish. I understand that they want to differentiate from both the TV version and the two versions of Quicksilver, but they really should accept some similarities if the alternative is something that looks so shit and un-Flash-like.

If we're going to plan hypothetical Wildstorm films, I wanna see Stormwatch, based on Ellis' run.

If ever a comic was meant to be a blockbuster movie it's Ellis' Stormwatch/authority

6 hours ago, Veltigar said:

He doesn't need powers... because he's Batman! :P 

Amen to that. Also, he doesn't need to use swords, and if he did he wouldn't use a back scabbard.

9 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That is sadly accurate pre-Khal Aquaman. Also hilarious.

12 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Maybe they're trying to keep the movie and show as separate as possible. 

But that flash costume is ugly. 

Yeah, the CW costume is probably my favorite Flash costume. This one is inspired by the hugely popular Injustice video game, which inspired the comic book series. And this armor does look better than the Injustice costume, thank goodness. And the armor technically makes more sense when you think about it. Even a tiny object colliding with Barry at Flash speeds could do a lot of damage. 

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

...If we're going to plan hypothetical Wildstorm films, I wanna see Stormwatch, based on Ellis' run.

Isn't Wildstorm now owned by DC? So we could technically see these characters in a DCCU film. It's probably doubtful we will though, but if Deadpool can be the best superhero film of 2016 then anything is possible. (I'm expecting Dr. Strange to be good, but I don't think it'll achieve Deadpool level perfection.)

58 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

but I don't think it'll achieve Deadpool level perfection.

I hope it achieves better, but then I only liked Deadpool.

And yeah. A few of the characters have been folded in in various ways, there is a Stormwatch though it's not particularly related to the old 'verse one. Midnighter had his own comic for a bit, it was brilliant but had low sales and got cancelled. Which was a shame, coz he could have been DC's Deadpool-style breakout star and I hope they don't give up on him altogether.

But the Ellis Stormwatch would be best placed in a seperate universe. It'd be too intrusive otherwise.

18 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I hope it achieves better, but then I only liked Deadpool...

Hmm. This does not bode well for your recommendation of Stormwatch. I just looked on wikipedia and it seems Ellis did a decent run on the series and a spinoff called the Authority. As for Ellis, I dug most of Transmet, his Extremis run on Iron Man, and unlike my fanboy friends I dug his stuff on Ult. F4 back in the day. Not too impressed with his Karnak spinoff thus far though.

Stormwatch and Deadpool are very different beasts, so you can rest easy on that score, you won't be comparing them over-much.

I just think Deadpool could have done more with the meta-humour and anti-hero stuff. I liked Kick-Ass more in the same vein.

13 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Hmm. This does not bode well for your recommendation of Stormwatch. I just looked on wikipedia and it seems Ellis did a decent run on the series and a spinoff called the Authority. As for Ellis, I dug most of Transmet, his Extremis run on Iron Man, and unlike my fanboy friends I dug his stuff on Ult. F4 back in the day. Not too impressed with his Karnak spinoff thus far though.

I dug Ellis's The Authority. Kind of a JL pastiche of sorts. The first 12 issues are quite good. It kind of fell apart a bit after Ellis dropped it.

31 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I dug Ellis's The Authority. Kind of a JL pastiche of sorts. The first 12 issues are quite good. It kind of fell apart a bit after Ellis dropped it.

A lot, really, but Ed Brubaker's run later on, just before the universe got apocalypsed, and Abnett and Lanning's just after, are both worth a read.

Apparently,  my main concern with the Flash's costume was that he retain the wings on his head and not just have them painted on; with that nerdy and utterly trivial worry assuaged ,   I've decided to like the rest of his costume.

That aside, it always feels funny to me whenever Flash and Green Lantern are not in the League; even though it's  just GL this time, it still bugs me.

That aside, looking forward to the movie with a probably unwise small amount of reservation.

16 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It really is. He dials everything up to 11. The weird thing is that it was such a success that Marvel/DC started to emulate the Authority for several years. I think they called it "widescreen" comic storytelling but Ellis was one of the best at it.

Stormwatch is more focused on the characters but it's interesting to see the idea of the Authority develop within the stormwatch run. A version of the Authority are essentially villains in Stormwatch.

10 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Apparently,  my main concern with the Flash's costume was that he retain the wings on his head and not just have them painted on; with that nerdy and utterly trivial worry assuaged ,   I've decided to like the rest of his costume.

That aside, it always feels funny to me whenever Flash and Green Lantern are not in the League; even though it's  just GL this time, it still bugs me.

That aside, looking forward to the movie with a probably unwise small amount of reservation.

I also miss the presence of a green lantern. They could have used the female lantern to mix things up. I guess they are still wary because of the GL film failing.

12 hours ago, red snow said:

I also miss the presence of a green lantern. They could have used the female lantern to mix things up. I guess they are still wary because of the GL film failing.

Tbh, the Green Lantern film doesn't strike me as being any worse than the second Thor film.

1 hour ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Tbh, the Green Lantern film doesn't strike me as being any worse than the second Thor film.

I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  It was probably overly ambitious for a solo outing essentially introducing a brand new character to the masses.  I thought some of the character designs were really good.

9 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I think it was the box office that made the real difference.

7 hours ago, Rhom said:

I didn't think it was nearly as bad as people make it out to be.  It was probably overly ambitious for a solo outing essentially introducing a brand new character to the masses.  I thought some of the character designs were really good.

I liked the space stuff and was bored to death with the earthbound segmments. They should have focused on the space element but I guess it was pre GOTG and they were scared people wouldn't respond to it if it wasn't set on earth. Because Star Wars needed that? Hollywood execs put a lot of faith in demographics but not so much in good screenplay. Which is odd as I'm sure most focus groups must mention "good story".

Good news is the next film is called GL corps so I think we will get the focus on intergalactic cops and fun aliens. Not hitting street criminals with giant green fists in america.

20 hours ago, Knight of Ashes said:

I've only seen both films once, but I recall being 50x more disappointed in GL as I walked out of the theater. This is likely due to the fact I'm a hardcore ride or die Hal Jordan fanboy from the Super Friends days, so I had much, much higher hopes for the GL film. (I blocked all of that Parallax bidness outta my mind.) 

As for Green Lanterns showing up in the new DCCU, I really hope we see Hal or some other GL (but mostly Hal) show up near the end of the JL film to help save the day and intro the characters into the DCCU prior to the GL Corps film.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 6:06 PM, Veltigar said:

Okay, so:

Batman = Iron Man

Superman = Brooding Captain America

Aquaman = The Hulk

Barry Allen = Spiderman

Wonder Woman = Scarlett Johansson 

Cyborg is a mystery though, which avenger is he? :P

Justice League came first right? Then Fantastic Four, then The Avengers?  I am sure you are just messing with it, have to check!

ETA: And after reading the entire thread I see you have forgotten more about this subject than I will ever know and I bow to your wisdom.

10 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Justice League came first right? Then Fantastic Four, then The Avengers?  I am sure you are just messing with it, have to check!

ETA: And after reading the entire thread I see you have forgotten more about this subject than I will ever know and I bow to your wisdom.

I think he's making a comparison to the movies moreso than to Comic's history.

Archived