The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

Re. Nice Guy Negan's Zero Tolerance Policy: I would really like for them to be making a point along the lines of it not being 'rape rape' ie not a stranger jumping out of a bush, which makes the point to any viewer who thinks that way that they are wrong. I mean, they still could do. They could have a character point this out, whether it is one of Rick's group or one of Negan's. It is still a point very much worth making. 

But I won't hold my breath.

negan and rape...

so my thought is he is in fact  aware that what he is doing traditionally would be considered rape. but he sees it as the rest of what he has going on as a lot less worse than what the world has become. 

he considers himself the lesser and necessary evil. 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Re. Nice Guy Negan's Zero Tolerance Policy: I would really like for them to be making a point along the lines of it not being 'rape rape' ie not a stranger jumping out of a bush, which makes the point to any viewer who thinks that way that they are wrong. I mean, they still could do. They could have a character point this out, whether it is one of Rick's group or one of Negan's. It is still a point very much worth making. 

The best candidate at the moment is Eugene who we at least saw was uncomfortable and therefore turned down the advances of Negan's "wives". There was an opportunity for him to say something there although he wouldn't have said anything to Negan.

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

negan and rape...

so my thought is he is in fact  aware that what he is doing traditionally would be considered rape. but he sees it as the rest of what he has going on as a lot less worse than what the world has become. 

I'm on board with him thinking he's the lesser and necessary evil as that plays out with future developments in the comics. The other bit, I'm not so sure. He can justify all the killing and stealing in terms of "he's helping his community survive/stamping some kind of "order" in the world" but how does he justify his "wives" in terms of being a necessary evil other than as a form of torture that provides him with satisfaction? I think Negan is just a warped character who still manages to justify all of his actions in some way.

Irrespective of whether Negan is aware of what he's doing or deluding himself doesn't matter as much as the way it's still presented on screen in a way that viewers could misinterpet it as "Negan, he's not that bad". Like Isis says it would be nice if the show pointed out the differences and similarities and have someone call Negan on his bullshit. The show isn't exactly known for being subtle so this was an unfortunate time for them to be vague.

Negan could have had wives who genuinely wanted to be with him I'm sure he could have found individuals who'd have willingly thrown themselves at him in this world but the whole thing with Dwight's girlfriend and the ones who interacted with Eugene are disturbing additions the writers chose to include.

It's something that never worked for me in the comics and I'm slightly surprised they repeated it in the show with no real modification. Hopefully I'm just not giving the viewership enough credit and everyone picked up on Negan's hypocrisy in which case all's well as the episode managed to further establish the character as sick and deluded.

3 hours ago, Isis said:

Ya, they only kind of had Eugene address this when Negan sent his wives to keep him company.  I don't remember if Eugene actually used the word rape or not, but he specifically acknowledged that the inherent coercion made meaningful consent impossible.  

Of course he didn't go the extra step of applying that same rational to Negan's relationship to his wives.  And Eugene's refusal probably really only caught the ear of those people who are already versed in issues of consent.  Still, it's more of a nod than most other shows would give.

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

I think it's just that he gets off on putting people in the position of having to feign thankfulness for him only partially wrecking their world.  Negan takes that same tack with Rick by insisting he be thankful that only two of his crew got their heads bashed in.  Or with Dwight for only having half his face burned off.  There is no necessary or lesser evil about it.  It's just expedience and control, mixed with a bit of perverse cruelty. 

12 hours ago, Spockydog said:

My money's on another ridiculous cliffhanger.

I think it'll end with pretty much how the March to War arc ended in the comics--Negan narrowly escaping sniper fire and a stand-off at Alexandria with the Hilltop & Kingdom warriors also there. (Instead of Andrea almost dying like in the comics, I do think Sasha will die though.) Negan and the Saviors retreat back to Savior HQ, and Negan shouts, "We're going to war!"

I think they're definitely setting up little nuggets for Negan to be less "horrible villain" and more "misguided leader" like he is currently turning out to be in the comics. I'm seeing JD Morgan's Negan easily being a part of the series for the next two seasons. I think Gimple and Kirkman's goal is to eventually make viewers pissed at themselves for not 100% hating the guy who bashed in Glenn's head, which is kinda where Negan is at in the comic book now.

Predictions for next season, S8:

*We'll get more episodes focusing on characters from each of the non-comic book communities.

*Negan will put Eugene to work producing bullets and will be conflicted with his cowardice/survival instinct vs loyalty to Alexandria. Mullet-man will revert his loyalties back to Rick and deliver the cargo of bullets like in the comics--possibly mid-season finale.

*Maggie will assume official control of Hilltop from Gregory. He'll try to assassinate Maggie. He'll either get his hanging or shot by Enid--likely mid-season finale.

*Carol & Ezekiel romance will bloom over the season.

*GTA Savior guy will die in AOW. 

*My guess is Sasha will die in the S7 finale,however, if she survives, she or another key cast member will die in the back end of S8. Gotta make "the loss/sacrifice of war" felt somehow.

*Heapsters/Scavengers will betray Rick somehow and Oceanside crew will swoop in to help finish off Saviors.

*Negan Will break Rick's leg like the comics, but Rick keeps both hands.

All of Season 8 will be spent preparing for war and then the S8 finale we will finally see the first shot fired and then have to wait until the S9 premier to see who the bullet hit.  Then S9 will be spent talking about how that death made us feel.  I'm sure war will be on completely by around, oh, S12.

17 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I think it'll end with pretty much how the March to War arc ended in the comics--Negan narrowly escaping sniper fire and a stand-off at Alexandria with the Hilltop & Kingdom warriors also there. (Instead of Andrea almost dying like in the comics, I do think Sasha will die though.) Negan and the Saviors retreat back to Savior HQ, and Negan shouts, "We're going to war!"

I think they're definitely setting up little nuggets for Negan to be less "horrible villain" and more "misguided leader" like he is currently turning out to be in the comics. I'm seeing JD Morgan's Negan easily being a part of the series for the next two seasons. I think Gimple and Kirkman's goal is to eventually make viewers pissed at themselves for not 100% hating the guy who bashed in Glenn's head, which is kinda where Negan is at in the comic book now.

Predictions for next season, S8:

Hide contents

*We'll get more episodes focusing on characters from each of the non-comic book communities.

*Negan will put Eugene to work producing bullets and will be conflicted with his cowardice/survival instinct vs loyalty to Alexandria. Mullet-man will revert his loyalties back to Rick and deliver the cargo of bullets like in the comics--possibly mid-season finale.

*Maggie will assume official control of Hilltop from Gregory. He'll try to assassinate Maggie. He'll either get his hanging or shot by Enid--likely mid-season finale.

*Carol & Ezekiel romance will bloom over the season.

*GTA Savior guy will die in AOW. 

*My guess is Sasha will die in the S7 finale,however, if she survives, she or another key cast member will die in the back end of S8. Gotta make "the loss/sacrifice of war" felt somehow.

*Heapsters/Scavengers will betray Rick somehow and Oceanside crew will swoop in to help finish off Saviors.

*Negan Will break Rick's leg like the comics, but Rick keeps both hands.

I think that's 8-10 given the pacing of the TV show!

I suspect Aaron's boyfriend will die at some point especially now that he goes on raids. Shame, there's something oddly likeable about how sheltered his life seems to be. I was actually surprised that one of the alexandrians was still alive - the guy who used to be disrguntled but is now a grunt. Can't remember his name or anything but I'd assumed he was dead as I hadn't seen him in a while.

57 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think that's 8-10 given the pacing of the TV show!

I suspect Aaron's boyfriend will die at some point especially now that he goes on raids. Shame, there's something oddly likeable about how sheltered his life seems to be. I was actually surprised that one of the alexandrians was still alive - the guy who used to be disrguntled but is now a grunt. Can't remember his name or anything but I'd assumed he was dead as I hadn't seen him in a while.

We still don't know what happened to dreadlocks guy who was with Tara. Can't remember his name. I know the actor has been busy lately, so maybe he was just killed off camera, but that depends on whether or not he wants to come back.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

We still don't know what happened to dreadlocks guy who was with Tara. Can't remember his name. I know the actor has been busy lately, so maybe he was just killed off camera, but that depends on whether or not he wants to come back.

I thought he was dead too - did he fall in the river? For a moment I thought Michonne was going to sniper zombie him when a dreadlock zombie walked by.

Tobin is the guy I thought already dead

On 3/29/2017 at 7:34 PM, kairparavel said:

What is the deal with the bandage or whatever it is that JDM/Negan has wrapped on his left arm? 

Morgan and Sasha and Aaron's partner are all going to die in the finale, I'd say.

He's talked about it before. It's siimply because that's how Negan looks in the comic. Only Kirkman knows for sure. Maybe it'll be revealed in the Image+ origin story. :/

Aaron's hubby is a good call on a finale death. I'd give it even odds.

6 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

He's talked about it before. It's siimply because that's how Negan looks in the comic. Only Kirkman knows for sure. Maybe it'll be revealed in the Image+ origin story. :/

Aaron's hubby is a good call on a finale death. I'd give it even odds.

The actor isn't starring in anything else so that probably cancels out the "known just well enough to make it seem like a named death". Turns out he's a member of the blue man group.

15 hours ago, red snow said:

The actor isn't starring in anything else so that probably cancels out the "known just well enough to make it seem like a named death". Turns out he's a member of the blue man group.

He should go with them to deliver the weapons to the Heapsters and start playing music on all the junk--after he trips on a bucket of blue paint of course. Turns out the Heapsters are NOT fans of Stomp/BMG so they sick Winslow II on him. RIP Aaron's man.

10 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

He should go with them to deliver the weapons to the Heapsters and start playing music on all the junk--after he trips on a bucket of blue paint of course. Turns out the Heapsters are NOT fans of Stomp/BMG so they sick Winslow II on him. RIP Aaron's man.

I'd take that as a season finale

1 hour ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

You and me both. Especially if I get a "Story by" credit. Message board posts stand up in a court of law, right?

We should look into it further tomorrow.

Ok, so no stupid cliffhanger. That ended better than expected. The best part of the episode was the tiger and Negan's reaction to it. But now the Allies (I'm calling them that) are out of bullets right? Except for Daryl's machine gun, which has infinite ammo.

I enjoyed the finale. About 5 minutes before the treachery with Junkyard, I remembered when Ned went into the throne room in GoT and thought he had the Gold Cloaks on his side, about to take the royal children into his custody, and it made me wonder if it was possible Negan had spoken with them, and they would turn. I quickly dismissed the thought. Well...

The whole battle was awesome, and loved the tiger gore. Sasha wanted a gun or knife, and only got a pill. Well, she maximized that situation. The only better outcome would've been her biting Negan. It was entertaining to see Negan losing control, as we've yet to see him in that capacity. 

Who wrote "Didn't know" on that soldier figure? Dwight?

Archived