The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

1 hour ago, akh said:

I'm surprised how nobody pointed out just how freaking ridiculous the ending scene of two minutes of "knowing nods" was. I don't think I've seen anything more ridiculous in a serious TV show/movie. Reminded my instantly of this: 

Pretty much everyone has pointed it out already.  Gotta read the posts, brah.  

My bad, no excuses :D

But I think that had to be the low point of the series to me. The drawn out vapid character study the show has transformed into after starting out as survival horror was understandable. Maybe the writers hit the phase where they wanted to appear more intellectual. I'm sure they had good intentions - I mean Shane was a pretty well drawn character for the genre, maybe they wanted to continue from that, and found out there was no real material to work with; and then tried to create drama by upping the ante with shocking deaths and needless torture.

But this scene. It was oblivious to the point of parody. I cannot fathom how whoever was responsible for the episode, looked back at it before marking it finished and thought: damn, that's a great idea.

Also, great parallel with Sons of Anarchy. I used to follow that show, but it's slipped my mind so completely that I was reminded of a fairly poor movie I saw drunk 10 years ago. I think this show has hit a bunch of the same mistakes Sons of Anarchy did, or perhaps SoA was never good to begin with and I'm remembering it wrong.

16 hours ago, red snow said:

...point 4 - I wasn't even sure she did kill that saviour. I'm guessing you're correct and she must have.

Yeah, I didn't catch that either, so I went back and re-watched that scene. There is a very long shot of the truck then the faint sound of a gun being fired with a slightly visible flash in the cab. It was still kind of an unnecessarily ambiguous way to end that scene. 

20 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

God the writing on this show is so fucking lazy. Some thoughts on that episode...

• As usual, JDM is killing it as Negan. Loved the "and I fed him spaghetti" line.

You're right--that was a great line.

20 hours ago, red snow said:

I hope they wrap the Saviour stuff up this season. They are still going to have to make some mighty narrative jumps to justify keeping Negan alive it ends. Even moreso than in the comics (which also failed to convince).

I think you're in for a disappointment there. I say that All Out War isn't wrapped up until the end of S8.

13 hours ago, akh said:

I think this show has hit a bunch of the same mistakes Sons of Anarchy did, or perhaps SoA was never good to begin with and I'm remembering it wrong.

I'm often haunted by the same question. At the time I thought season 1 and 2 were great but for all the others to be ok at best, questions have to be asked.

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Yeah, I didn't catch that either, so I went back and re-watched that scene. There is a very long shot of the truck then the faint sound of a gun being fired with a slightly visible flash in the cab. It was still kind of an unnecessarily ambiguous way to end that scene. 

I think you're in for a disappointment there. I say that All Out War isn't wrapped up until the end of S8.

My dad pointed this out to me yesterday over the phone. He's clearly taking advantage of his massive 4K TV back home :)

Yeah- I can hope it's wrapped up this season but based on the show's usual speed season 8 is far morel likely. As others have pointed out the rebellion doesn't have any real plan yet. Also, JDM seems to be telling everyone he's in season 8 which not only robs us of any tension when people try and kill him but sort of suggests his role will be dragged out. Although I guess JDM could just be lying or he gets to spend a season in a cell getting bathed by people.

2 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Is anybody else disappointed, btw, that Daryl didn't get 'Reeked' a little bit by captivity?

I think he seemed a little bit broken. I wouldn't say he escaped unscathed. It'll be interesting to see how Negan takes it - surely he has to recapture him and it's not going to be too hard to guess where he might be. It's not like he'll fall for the "grave trick" again. I hope.

so Alexandria has to be wiped out yes? I assume that's why the writers moved all the main characters to the other camp. 

The entire reason for the despair is that there are severe consequences for even the slightest attempt to fight back.

1 hour ago, Commodore said:

so Alexandria has to be wiped out yes? I assume that's why the writers moved all the main characters to the other camp. 

The entire reason for the despair is that there are severe consequences for even the slightest attempt to fight back.

They weren't moved, they just went there to talk to Maggie. The preview for what's coming showed Rick meeting with Ezekiel, too, so the three communities will join forces. 

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

C'mon man, Daryl hasn't had anything significant to do since like season 3. He pretty much just exists for fanservice at this point, being hauled out once per season to be the token "badass" by using a rocket launcher or taking out a tank or something.

Give us some lasting stakes.

That's all he is and likely all he ever will be.  He has no character arc (and hasn't since the actual character in the family died) he's there only because idiots would riot if they killed him off.  They really should have had Negan kill him off.

Casting for other show spoilers because we know no-one gets out of Walking Dead alive!

Sonequa Martin Green is going to play the lead in Star Trek discovery. So long, Sasha

So I guess we know who's probably getting to meet Lucille next.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

Casting for other show spoilers because we know no-one gets out of Walking Dead alive!

Hide contents

Sonequa Martin Green is going to play the lead in Star Trek discovery. So long, Sasha

So I guess we know who's probably getting to meet Lucille next.

Maybe not though. Looking at the wikipedia article for the show, it sounds like it may be a limited series that only runs for one season. It's not completely clear though. 

6 minutes ago, Pecan said:

Maybe not though. Looking at the wikipedia article for the show, it sounds like it may be a limited series that only runs for one season. It's not completely clear though. 

I'm assuming the character dies this season until we see them in season 8. Besides Rick and Carl, I think the entire cast of Walking Dead are disposable. I guess folk also like Darryl.

6 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I was getting kind of a gay vibe from him for a while. I actually thought that would have been a pretty cool way to take his character, but nothing ever came from it.

The vibe i get is that Darryl is asexual. He never seems attracted to anyone. Yet he clearly cares/loves people so i suspect it's just that he isn't attracted to anyone.

I'm not sure that's intentional but I think it would be interesting to have an asexual character on TV that's not a robot.

10 hours ago, Slurktan said:

That's all he is and likely all he ever will be.  He has no character arc (and hasn't since the actual character in the family died) he's there only because idiots would riot if they killed him off.  They really should have had Negan kill him off.

Darryl's popularity is essentially just inertia from the time in S2 when every capable male character was either a moron, weak or insane. Now the show is stuck with him

If nothing else, it would be nice if Daryl got elevated to a position of being such a badass that he can be the boogeyman for the villains. Here comes Daryl! Run assholes, run! Kinda like how in Rome, the senators were scared to gang up on Caesar if Lucius Vorenus was there. 

But nope, Daryl had to start sucking at the one skill he was always good at in order for Dwight to capture him.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

If nothing else, it would be nice if Daryl got elevated to a position of being such a badass that he can be the boogeyman for the villains. Here comes Daryl! Run assholes, run! Kinda like how in Rome, the senators were scared to gang up on Caesar if Lucius Vorenus was there. 

But nope, Daryl had to start sucking at the one skill he was always good at in order for Dwight to capture him.

he could try and become the Omar of WD. Daryl's comin' yo

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I hope they go this way with Carol instead.

5 hours ago, Corvinus said:

They could have done that, but that intersects with another thread of making the Saviors so incompetent against actual characters on TWD (as opposed to the ghosts and extras that lived in Alexandria before they showed up) that they needed stupidity and a sudden illness to grab anyone.

Negan has killed a few people in retaliation and the k/d ratio is still like 40 to 5

I'm sure JDM is great and all, but I kinda think we were hyped into expecting he would make an awesome TV Negan, and it takes a while for reality to settle in. All I can say is that all of Negan's scenes are twice as long as they should be, he is not nearly as menacing as he oughta be, and I always get impatient when he's around. And that's not a good sign for a main villain.

Archived