The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

Whu??? Sasha died? Didn't see that coming. I mean, they said they'd worked out how she could be on both Walking Dead and Star Trek Discovery. I thought they were telling the truth, like they have every other time a cast member has announced they are starring in a new show. But it was a jaw dropper that Morgan survived - I guess Lennie James is just a heard worker and not putting all his eggs in the one basket of a sky atlantic mini-series.

Good to see that Morgan and Carol have realised their full potential as cold-hearted killers once more instead of selfishly seeking innerpeace. A heartwarming message.

The other big shocker was that the group of freaky, linguistically-stunted heapsters, Rick knew nothing about (and tried to kill him on their first meeting) turned out to be untrustworthy!!! Did not see that coming.

At this point there's almost a level of respect for Negan in comparison to the incompetence of Rick's group. Their plan was terrible, as was making sure they all stood in front of a heapster. I think if they hadn't made Negan so insane and cruel there would almost be a part of me thinking "maybe the show should follow his group now". Credit it to JDM's acting with his staring at Rick, when Rick was giving his "someday soon" speech. You could see Negan thinking "I respect this guy - maybe he could make things work" which will definitely pay off down the line if they continue to follow the comics.

I probably wasn't supposed to but I laughed at loud when the Kingdom and Hilltop literally came in as the cavalry. Yet another show where the protagonists win a battle on a totally unplanned and impeccably timed "hail mary". Sometimes i think the cavlary in these shows wait around a corner waiting for the last minute save. I know Tigers are stealthy but I did not know they could wander into a village of armed people on high alert. Must be the stripey camouflage.

And where did Darryl get that futuristic looking machine gun? I'm trying to think of where I've seen it before - maybe on an iron man suit? Seriously, if someone could help me place it, it'd be appreciated.

But honestly, I enjoyed it - probably because of how ridiculous it all was. I feel more comfortable when the show embraces itself for what it is and loses all the pretensions of being "The Wire with Zombies". It reminded me of season 1 of the Flash where the sense of fun masked the idiocy of the show in such a way the idiocy was part of the fun. Keep it up Walking Dead.

16 hours ago, Westerosi Coast Gangster said:

best part of the episode was when Negan was flipping off Alexandria as he high tailed it out of there. 

Yeah - that was great and also part of me enjoying the show not taking itself seriously. Although there was all that pointless flashback nonsense letting us see a character that was never really a fan favourite. I like the idea the actor has kept the tash though.

16 hours ago, dooog said:

Why did the Kingdom and Hilltop feel the need to assist killing the 20 saviors, and how did their bloody horses get over those walls. And finally, what exactly is Morgan's "armor" supposed to protect him from.

They jumped over the wall, silly. Morgan's "armor" protects him from the likliehood his sky atlantic show is a success and gets a full second season.

On 03/04/2017 at 3:29 AM, Corvinus said:

Except for Daryl's machine gun, which has infinite ammo.

Can't wait for the new action figure with the weapon. Hopefully the new toy reflects his more buff physique. Prison workout indeed.

7 hours ago, red snow said:

At this point there's almost a level of respect for Negan in comparison to the incompetence of Rick's group.

I'm wondering just how many times Rick has to spearhead failed uprisings against Negan before the Alexandrians finally realize they need better leadership.

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

I'm wondering just how many times Rick has to spearhead failed uprisings against Negan before the Alexandrians finally realize they need better leadership.

It's hardly inspiring is it?

I can see why Negan leaves Rick in charge though. That way he knows uprisings will fail and he can weed the ranks out each time. God forbid someone competent took over.

At least they got to keep their guns this time. There can't be that many secret caches lying around in the area any more.

17 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe Rick wants to die too based on the actor wanting to guest star in Discovery?

Shame it's not Star Wars as he could play a "Corel-lian" :P

To the Moon Door with ye!

11 hours ago, red snow said:

...I can see why Negan leaves Rick in charge though. That way he knows uprisings will fail and he can weed the ranks out each time. God forbid someone competent took over.

At least they got to keep their guns this time. There can't be that many secret caches lying around in the area any more.

Wait! Nevermind. You've redeemed yourself with that Rick line. :lol:

As for secret caches being left, this is Murica. Our guns have guns.

10 hours ago, Nictarion said:

And who exactly does Alexandria have that would be a better leader than Rick?

I'd argue someone who doesn't rebel. If you're going to fail every couple of months you're maybe better not doing it? The Kingdom waited until they thought they had a chance - allowing them time to train (themselves and the tiger).

But it'd be a dull show if that were the case and with "luck" on Rick's side he'll beat Negan eventually. It'd just be nice if he did so through a plan rather than said random luck. I know most plans fail at the point of execution but take Negan as a comparison - he turned up with Sasha in a box as a hostage, Eugene as a "diplomat" and a deal with the heapsters. That's called having contingencies in place. Rick had a bomb going off next to their main gate and a deal with the heapsters. The thing that saved him wasn't part of his plan.

I enjoy how ridiculous it is as long as it's entertaining and this episode was certainly that.

On 4/5/2017 at 5:02 AM, red snow said:

I'd argue someone who doesn't rebel. If you're going to fail every couple of months you're maybe better not doing it? The Kingdom waited until they thought they had a chance - allowing them time to train (themselves and the tiger).

But it'd be a dull show if that were the case and with "luck" on Rick's side he'll beat Negan eventually. It'd just be nice if he did so through a plan rather than said random luck. I know most plans fail at the point of execution but take Negan as a comparison - he turned up with Sasha in a box as a hostage, Eugene as a "diplomat" and a deal with the heapsters. That's called having contingencies in place. Rick had a bomb going off next to their main gate and a deal with the heapsters. The thing that saved him wasn't part of his plan.

Totally agreed. Rick's plan was to put his faith both in some random junkyard people and in a burned-face dude with a history of cruel obedience to Negan. Rick is decent at the rough stuff--sticking guns in peoples' faces and killing off small groups--but when it comes to strategy, Mr Grimes isn't exactly Sun Tzu.

It's not a bad idea to form an alliance with the heapsters, but good alliances are formed slowly, taking time to learn about each other and to build trust. The heapsters did nothing but make Rick fight some spiked zombie and then demand guns, neither of which reflected a deep commitment to the cause of resisting Negan. The Kingdom and Hillside make better allies because they have something at stake in this struggle; the heapsters were mere mercenaries, willing to fight for whomever paid them more. A good leader would have recognized this and kept the heapsters at arm's length, making them prove their dedication to the cause before letting them into Alexandria en masse. Rick, of course, is not a good leader; instead he's the type to make threats from his knees. No wonder Negan leaves him in charge; as Red Snow pointed out, killing him might clear the path for someone slightly more competent.

Edited to add: Jadis is sure in a pickle, isn't she? She signed up with Negan with the likely expectation of quickly squashing Rick's rebellion and then claiming her share of the loot. Instead, she's got a nasty little war on her hands, and there's no way Negan's going to let her back out of it. She can't easily switch sides either; who'd trust her after her betrayal at Alexandria? Nope, she's in it now, and the best she can hope for is for a swift victory by the Saviors and a lifetime under Negan's thumb. 

27 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

Edited to add: Jadis is sure in a pickle, isn't she? She signed up with Negan with the likely expectation of quickly squashing Rick's rebellion and then claiming her share of the loot. Instead, she's got a nasty little war on her hands, and there's no way Negan's going to let her back out of it. She easily can't switch sides either; who'd trust her after her betrayal at Alexandria? Nope, she's in it now, and the best she can hope for is for a swift victory by the Saviors and a lifetime under Negan's thumb. 

Or join the whisperers when they turn up. They'd fit in easily.

15 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm only on season 5, but I feel like this show is about to pull a Dexter. For those who haven't seen Dexter, that's about the most damning thing I can say about a long running T.V. show.  

The best thing about Dexter is that there was always a good chance that it would end because Dexter was either going to get caught, get killed, or I guess run and become a lumberjack.  There are only so many things that can happen with a serial kill who works for the cops and frequently has other serial killers chasing him.

With TWD, there is really no end unless or until the showrunners decide. 

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm only on season 5, but I feel like this show is about to pull a Dexter. For those who haven't seen Dexter, that's about the most damning thing I can say about a long running T.V. show.  

Nah. TWD still has an occasional great episode once in awhile. 

Dexter pretty much sucked after S4. And is still the worst series finale I've ever seen. 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The best thing about Dexter is that there was always a good chance that it would end because Dexter was either going to get caught, get killed, or I guess run and become a lumberjack.  There are only so many things that can happen with a serial kill who works for the cops and frequently has other serial killers chasing him.

With TWD, there is really no end unless or until the showrunners decide. 

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Nah. TWD still has an occasional great episode once in awhile. 

Dexter pretty much sucked after S4. 

That's my point. This show feels like it's already run it's course and is going down hill fast.

8 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

And is still the worst series finale I've ever seen. 

Yup.

Also, it's the one show that actually could have pulled off ending with it all being a dream 

Walking Dead's problems are more with pacing and how they choose to tell the story. As a concept it's fairly easy to reinvent itself. Characters can turn over very quickly in a way that's harder for other genres (mainly contemporary ones where people don't die as often in a law-firm or in a neigbourhood).

Ideally it needs to have time jumps which at season 7 it probably needs to do as I'm pretty sure only a few years have passed in show time (does anyone know the official "time"?). Where the show could develop is showing how civilization is re-establishing, even with a few set backs. This is sort of true with the show now. They appear to have a permanent residence and are no longer nomadic, growing their own food rather than scavenging. Zombies aren't really a threat unless there's a horde of them (or the relatively common ninja zombie appears). The Kingdom would probably be doing quite well without the Saviours around.

Things like the whisperers add an interesting spin as well and once 5 years have passed, I'd be surprised if there weren't major forces out there trying to re-establish the United States. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a military force out there somewhere.

So plenty of mileage to get from the show - it's just a case of whether they want to go there or stick with the same format.

• 3 months later...

Archived