The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Member season 2?  Member Shane? Member the farm?

ooh I lurved season 2. member T-Dogg? member when they could get a string of head shots while standing through the sun roof of a car driving over rough terrain?

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

The Walking Dead: Negan's brutal kill scene recreated with Legos

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/27/walking-dead-negan-kill-scene-lego

So wrong. Possibly more disturbing because it's done with children's toys.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Season 2 was a loooong time ago, when the show was really good.

Yes, there have been references to bullets as a non-renewable resource, but there has never actually been a desperate need to ration them. When the plot demanded it bullets were always in decent supply, with the exception of people who had been isolated from the main supply for extended periods.

Even Rick's 6-shooter seems to have about 8 more chambers than it should. Or perhaps that's just me not properly counting the number of times Rick shoots his revolver before stopping for 30 seconds to reload.

Poor Daryll keeps sticking with his bow and arrow though waiting for the bullets to run out.

clearly they edit out the reloads for dramatic purposes... and zombies freeze still when they see people reloading?

8 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

they had bullets.

For a while they had Ricks bag of guns, that seemed to magically contain all the ammunition they ever needed.

Rick's bag had "700 rounds, assorted" in it. That should have run out pretty much at the end of Season 1, or at the very latest after the target shooting training they did at the start of Season 2.

As for Eugene making ammo: You can make the gunpowder. You can make the bullet (the projectile section of the round), and you can reuse spent cases many times, effectively giving you an indefinite supply of those components. But there is no way short of an industrialized chemical manufacturing complex that you can realistically make modern primers, which are essential to the functioning of modern firearms.

Eugene "might" be able to make 19th century level mercury fulminate primers, but those will probably be useless in most modern guns other than maybe revolvers. But even making those primers would require raw materials that he would have to probably source from industrial waste heaps, and would still be difficult to produce.

I wonder if they are just going to skip over the primer issue, and just pretend that ammunition is complete when you have a casing, lead bullet and gunpowder.

EDIT

Also, the type of gunpowder that Eugene is likely able to make is once again, 19th century Black Powder, which is not the smokeless, much cleaner, more powerful modern powder that modern firearms need in order to cycle properly.

So once again, his ammunition would likely only be viable for revolvers and maybe some bolt action rifles that are cycled manually.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

clearly they edit out the reloads for dramatic purposes... and zombies freeze still when they see people reloading?

This is only tangentially linked to this, but I saw an interview somewhere where Kirkman said he was glad the show kept Rick's hand, as he regretted it. One of the main reasons being it made little sense that Rick would be able to reload his gun.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

This is only tangentially linked to this, but I saw an interview somewhere where Kirkman said he was glad the show kept Rick's hand, as he regretted it. One of the main reasons being it made little sense that Rick would be able to reload his gun.

I'm trying to think whether the comic has ever addressed this? Does render him pretty useless in a big shoot out.

I actually thought they were going there in the show, with the focus on the axe. Seemed even darker when it looked like karl was going to lose his hand

On 10/25/2016 at 3:51 AM, red snow said:

I think it shows how in the world the Walking Dead has created it's "survival of the meanest". Team Rick walked over the Alexandrians because they were tougher. Now Negan and his crew are walking over all of them.

It would have been a good plan if they'd done some recon first and realised they were only taking an outpost out. Although maybe the alexandrians and Jesus' are the ones who should have had more intel.

Harsh but effective. That's what Negan does too. He needs farmers and to show who's boss. Like I said the main difference is that none of Rick's gang enjoyed what they did. Negan seems to relish it.

We also can't call Abraham and Glenn innocenct lambs either. We just knew them better.

I also noticed one of the Westworld hosts is in Negan's gang. The dude with the marker pen was the villain who drinks milk, right?

Just catching up on the forum, but I agree with you regarding your instincts on Rick and Co.

I really think the episode was effective and while it's not an episode I would watch again, because it was disturbing, I still think they did what they needed to do to set the tone as Negan was always meant to be a game-changer as a character.

Of course Rick and the group are my favorites, and I hate how Glenn and Abraham went out, it wasn't unexpected. Even Cudlitz himself said he knew the character was on borrowed time as he should have died the way Denise did.

As far as Glenn goes, I get why Kirkman did it. In order for Maggie's story to advance in a particular direction, Glenn had to be factored out.

But I agree that the path that he and the group were following was dubious. And it was hubris that led Rick to be so reckless in his picking this fight with unknown variables.

He was a Sheriff, and:

A). He would have been trained to verify the information first before going head-long into a trap.

B). He would have been trained to have gotten more information on the TOTAL lay of the land before striking Negans men.(Somebody had to know how vast Negans network was).

I think we also have to look at the outsiders POV, and the reality is is whenever Rick and the group show up, he seems to bring the "bad" with him.

I haven't read the graphic novels as extensively, but Negan does become if not a "beloved" character, at least a popular character, because he is a very nuanced character, and I suspect the show will follow that.

(They are doing his back story now).

He is brutal, but has a genuine disgust for the act of rape. He can kill unaccountably, but yet he respects Rick and becomes fond of Carl.

He is like the ancient kings who gathers all the other smaller kings to swear fealty to him, and lets face it, the zombie apocalypse is a metaphor for the modern dark age.

I'm not a Negan-apologist because I would get as far from him as I could, but as a character, he will be interesting to watch.

In the show, with that bit of a Biblical twist where he is portrayed as a post-apocalyptic god, it's easy to see Rick as a metaphor for "Abraham," (especially in regards to his almost "sacrificing" Carl with Negan stepping in at the last minute), and where they will be going with their dynamics.

Good analysis on Negan. I'm glad they have a good actor on board for the role as he'll enjoy showing the more complex aspects of Negan. He sometimes seems like that guy you can chat with over a beer. He has a weird sense of loyalty to those he feels are deserving of it and there's a twisted logic to the way he maintains order. It's wrong but it works. We'll hopefully see more of his "kingdom" than we have in the comics as I think it would be interesting to see if the only inhabitants are warriors or if there are regular serving people/slaves?

It's something "Jericho" handled quite well. I'd like walking dead or fear to have a story where two large governments are at war - both claiming to be the new united states and the cast gets caught in the middle. It'd highlight how small scale our characters battles have been.

It'd basically be Fallout: The TV Series, if you had a clash between the Enclave and the New California Republic, which certainly could be very awesome. I know Bethesda have been speaking to film companies about doing something along those lines and if they tap into the same post-apocalyptic landscape as The Walking Dead it'd be quite good.

I'm halfway through Season 5 of TWD right now, so way behind the conversation. I've never been able to quite work out if I like the show or not. I find it very watchable in the moment and it has some tremendously good actors in it, but there's also an overwhelming feeling of pointless nihilism to it. I also tend to forget it even exists for long stretches of time.

When they were going to DC to cure the virus it gave the show a sense of direction, but then they abandoned that idea (maybe realistically, but it still felt like removing any sense of forward momentum to the show). Now they're doing a, "Hey, what if Team Rick were the bad guys?" thing which is a reasonable development, but again it's not progressing the show towards any kind of endgame.

35 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Now they're doing a, "Hey, what if Team Rick were the bad guys?" thing which is a reasonable development, but again it's not progressing the show towards any kind of endgame.

I wouldn't expect any kinda endgame anytime soon.

While talking to THR, AMC Networks CEO Josh Sapan expressed his interest in seeing The Walking Dead last forever. Sapan said, “We hope that zombies live forever and we’ve just begun to find out what the post-apocalyptic world is like. So that we’ll be sitting here at the Barclays conference in 2022 discussing the fact that Walking Dead is not over.”

Gimple acknowledges that the comic book could go on forever, but speaking specifically about the TV series, he says "As a TV show, all TV shows end, but I will say, I think it's possible that it could go on and on and on." Gimple gets a bit more cautious with his phrasing, however, when he goes on to explain how The Walking Dead could have such a lengthy shelf-life. "I think if it went ten years, if it went longer than that, it's possible that the cast -- considering the amount of deaths on this cast and everything else -- after ten, twelve years, it could shift into a whole new cast." 

3 hours ago, kairparavel said:

So this is the follow-up to two dudes getting their skulls smashed in. Community theater with a tiger.

How on earth did this guy get with Michonne in the comic?

I think they needed a couple things after the last episode - 1) something a little lighter in tone and 2) something to show that there is (or at least seems to be) groups of people that are generally good and kind.  I thought Ezekial was great, though I am dubious he would let Morgan and Carol into his inner circle quite so quickly.  I'm not quite sure of their rationale for feeding walkers to the pigs...do they think it will be poisoning Negan's group?

I figure it's the equivalent of spitting in their food. And there is always the long-shot that it does do harm, so why not. I also caught myself raising an eyebrow at confiding in Morgan and Carol so readily, but then reminded myself that it's not a deep show and was fine with it. Gotta keep things happening, you know?

I liked that Carol refused their food, but especially the pomegranate. Immediately conveyed what she was really thinking behind her 'golly gee' face.

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It was a bit of a giveaway of Negan's military and coercive strength that he could bring to heel a community that was run by a dictatorial arse like Gregory.

Not really. Gregory and Hilltop come across as weaklings.. 

Look how easily Rick and co. walk in, wreck their shit and do as they please. Jesus comes across as the only competent person there (to the point of almost being miraculous)

In fact, that probably did nothing to dampen their complacency. Between that and Alexandria you can't blame them for feeling like hot shit.

The REAL giveaway was everything that happened after Carol was captured; the radio protocols, multiple bases and so on. B that point though...too late. 

On 31/10/2016 at 8:46 PM, Alia of the knife said:

I thought the pomegranate was an interesting choice for the fruit since it was such a big part of mythology in regards to Persephone being confined to Hades underworld when she ate it, so maybe an excellent decision for Carol to refuse it.

Yes - and I thought this was a cool moment actually. Like she was saying, I'm not staying here, thanks!

I enjoyed the second episode. It went the pace I thought it would after the first episode.

The Kingdom looks like the other communities we've seen in the past.  They're happy, vibrant, learning, and.... signing. That mood tends to alter with the actions of the leader (Govenor, Rick, etc). I was siding with Carol and her views of Ezekiel throughout the majority of the episode. Ezekiel came off as a puppet, and an act. By no means a leader of a community in an apocalyptic world. How could this man fight against people like the Govenor and Negan?

Well, as we saw, he isn't fighting at all. He's playing his part, and proving to Negan's crew that he can be a provider, and compliant. However, the conversation Ezekiel had with Carol by the fire showed me that there is more to Ezekiel than I gave him credit for. He told Carol to not bullshit the bullshitter.  I think Ezekiel sees a bit of himself in Carol. Zeke is playing a part just like Carol does from time to time. Zeke told his guy to stand down when that greaser from Negan's crew wanted to fight. I think Zeke wants to show Negan's crew that he's compliant and a pacifist, only to surprise them with fight when they don't expect it. Zeke's firside chat with Carol humanized him for me, and I liked him more after that.

My guess is that The Kingdom, Hilltop and Alexandria will eventually unite against the common foe.  

I didn't care for that episode one bit.

Question... for the past 7 seasons practically every major group Rick's group encounter are bad people, either psychos or led by a psycho - the Claimers, the Terminus Cannibals, Woodbury, the guys in the bar near Hershel's farm, those Wolves idiots, the Governors 2nd group, the Cops group in that terrible hospital storyline.  So now that we've finally encountered the big bad Negan does this now mean every new group they discover will conveniently be good, albeit weak / naive people? Like the Kingdom, Alexandria and the Hilltop.

Archived