Is ASOIAF a story about dynasty reconstruction?

Juliet Burke

I believe that the story will end up with a Targ back on the IT, but that is my opinion. GRRM hasn't said that this is a story about Targ restoration, because he doesn't go around telling people the end of the story. You are perfectly free to believe that it is not a story with a Targ restoration. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want.

I remember he said something like that. Not the exact words, and it may have some other meaning. Personally, I would wait for the restoration of the Empire of Dawn or some Golden Age. The Long Night is the repetition of what happened at the end of this empire.

6 hours ago, Juliet Burke said:

I have a question: I've read on this forums that GRRM said that ASOIAF was a story about dynasty reconstruction (presumably Targaryen's dynasty). Is it really true? Did somebody see this quote? 

Given that I recall GRRM having said that the Targaryens were the ones he liked best to write about, no I don't have a link to a quote, and that I've also heard that the basic idea was about the restoration of dynasty I think that the Targaryens are going to be end back onthe IT. Unfortunately since I find a change of dynasties and interesting situation rather than adherence to a sacred status que.

I don't think so. More than likely it seems like Westeros is moving away from Divine Rule and Absolute Monarchy and towards a Constitutional Monarchy form of government. 

13 hours ago, Pain killer Jane said:

I don't think so. More than likely it seems like Westeros is moving away from Divine Rule and Absolute Monarchy and towards a Constitutional Monarchy form of government. 

I think I agree with this.  Martin has said before that some of the story is based on the War of the Roses, and if I'm not mistaken (from grade 11 history - twenty years ago!), the War of the Roses ended with a shift like this one.  Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but the number of people that keep getting killed with these internecine battles - I'm surprised there's anyone left!

15 hours ago, Pain killer Jane said:

What hints or foreshadowing makes you think its heading this way?

2 hours ago, Lady Barbrey said:

Martin has said before that some of the story is based on the War of the Roses, and if I'm not mistaken (from grade 11 history - twenty years ago!), the War of the Roses ended with a shift like this one.

Not exactly. The Wars of the Roses ended with the Tudors in power, arguably the most absolutist of the English dynasties. Constitutional monarchy came about after the English Civil War (and even then, not immediately). 

Yes, I think it is true that Martin once said this, though I now cannot find the source.

However, it is quite possible that he means the Starks and not the Targaryens when he talks about restoring a house.  The Starks are the ones whose fall we actually see - and whose restoration is all but certain, IMO.  And the last book was once meant to be called "A time for Wolves".

Still I do think that Targaryen restoration is also likely and he could have been referring to that.

3 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

What hints or foreshadowing makes you think its heading this way?

The way he is setting up Arya and Sansa in terms of the non-fantasy layer of the series. I don't think he is setting up the story to end up like the War of Roses. I think it is heading towards the Glorious Revolution instead. With William and Mary and then Anne ruling after them. A cousin, an older sister and a younger sister. And out of the Glorious Revolution came the English Bill of Rights of 1689. 

Sansa is learning from Baelish about playing politics with the nobles. And Arya through her experiences learned in allusion to Egg about the small folk. Plus you have Septon Meribald and his winding experiences not so veiled angry he has towards the monarchy. And remember Aegon V said about his policies "If only he had dragons then the lords would accept his policies." 

And No I don't think Dany is the one to put in place some of these policies. I think Dany is the one that exemplifies that the road to perdition is paved with good intentions. In terms of circle allusion in the book, she is Rheanyra. 

Archived