What else to read?!

1 hour ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Hey guys I'm rereading this whole series as I try to patiently wait for TWoW but it's just making the wait worse. Can someone recommend any other great fantasy/ historical novels or series to read? 

Also has anyone read Conn Iggulden's Emperor, Conqueror and War of the Roses series? If so, are they great?

I've read the conqueror and War of the Roses series by Iggulden and found them fantastic. I can also recommend Bernard Cornwell's books, The Warlord Chronicles and Saxon Stories in particular, full of intrigue, great characters and his battle scenes are riveting.

I would recommend Christian Cameron's Tyrant and Long War series if you like Greek history. He also wrote some fantasy under the name Miles Cameron, which is decent but below his other work.

3 hours ago, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Hey guys I'm rereading this whole series as I try to patiently wait for TWoW but it's just making the wait worse. Can someone recommend any other great fantasy/ historical novels or series to read? 

Also has anyone read Conn Iggulden's Emperor, Conqueror and War of the Roses series? If so, are they great?

The accursed kings, it's a 7 books series. GRRM read it before ASoIaF and called it the true game of thrones.

These are all great reccomendations. 

If I can just add one suggestion of you like graphic novels or have younger ones who do, try The Mouse Guard series by David Peterson http://www.mouseguard.net 

Im supposed to be an adult and I still love these. 

The iron king by maurice duron...an excellent historical novel in a series set in medieval france right after the templar purge..grrm wrote the forward for the english translation and the influence on him it is obvious upon reading...particilarily in terms of story structure...duron recreates the political intrigues of france much like martin creates the westerosi dramas..also, may i suggest the always amazing dan carlin podcasts? More like audiobooks, his amazing works delve deep..i recomend the wrath of the khans series as well as his new king of kings..anyone fascinated by grrms work will be engrossed by the real history that inspired it...

For fantasy, I'd suggest Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series, which Martin says had a huge influence on A Song of Ice and Fire. It reads a bit Dickensian in parts, but also with a fairly traditional swords and sorcery plot line - despite this, it has some thematic depths you don't usually find in this kind of fantasy.  Also, the Daughter of the Empire series was quite political.  My current favorite fantasy series is Sanderson's Stormlight Archive, only two books written for it so far but they're massive books with great characters, and I'll also recommend Carol Berg's latest duology, which I just read and really enjoyed.

One series that is seriously underrated in my opinion is the Death Gate Cycle by Weiss and Hickman, maybe because the authors are known for writing Dragonlance books.  But Death Gate Cycle explores a number of different worlds with their own political systems and completely entertained me throughout.  One character, Alfred, will annoy you at first but you'll end up liking him so don't let him put you off.  This is a seven book series I read at least fifteen years ago but I still remember it as one huge adventure I didn't want to end.

Archived