So Brienne is a bastard?

Drekinn

I should add that chapter 60 of GOT mentions a man at the Wall named Ser Endrew Tarth.  Whatever reason Brienne goes by "Brienne OF Tarth" likely doesn't go back as far as Dunk.  It would have to be something in a more recent generation like Brienne herself or her parents.  We don't know exactly who this Endrew guy is (an uncle?) so it's hard to say.  But I doubt there's anything to it.

1 hour ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

Brienne being called Brienne of Tarth instead of Brienne Tarth is imo simply because Brienne Tarth does not sound good whereas Brienne of Tarth does.  Just say them both, it's that simple.

Silly rabbit. Click one on the post count..

1 hour ago, WightWalker said:

I should add that chapter 60 of GOT mentions a man at the Wall named Ser Endrew Tarth.  Whatever reason Brienne goes by "Brienne OF Tarth" likely doesn't go back as far as Dunk.  It would have to be something in a more recent generation like Brienne herself or her parents.  We don't know exactly who this Endrew guy is (an uncle?) so it's hard to say.  But I doubt there's anything to it.

Her father is also referred to in the appendix as Selwyn of Tarth. However, there is also mention of House Tarth.

Huh never thought about the Brienne of Tarth thing, was rasied in Germany and there every noble person has "of Something" as their last name (example "of Hohenzollern") usually relating to their family's ancestral keep or lands. For example if Westeros was following the German convention Ned Stark would be "Ned of Winterfell", while Cersei could be anything from "Cersei of Caterly Rock" to "Cersei of Lannisport" or "Cersei of the Westerlands" so for this reason Brienne of Tarth never seemed out of place to me.

If her father also follows the "of Tarth" pattern we could also theorize that it is simply tradition for the Tarth line to style themselves as "of Tarth" rather than simply "Tarth" Endrew might not do so because he has lost his status as a noble by joining the NW.

7 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Silly rabbit. Click one on the post count..

I couldn't care less about my post count, if you actually think that I don't even know how to respond, I'm already at the highest level anyway.  I wouldn't have had to post that if people did not make up ridiculous reasons as to why that is what she is called.

On 7/24/2016 at 5:03 AM, Drekinn said:

Since we know Brienne is a descendant of Dunk does that make her a bastard? Dunk never married so he must have had an affair with a woman from Tarth who gave birth to his child but passed it off as her actual husband's child. Does it make the Tarth line obsolete?

No

11 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I couldn't care less about my post count, if you actually think that I don't even know how to respond, I'm already at the highest level anyway.  I wouldn't have had to post that if people did not make up ridiculous reasons as to why that is what she is called.

okay if I offended you my apologies. You and I have been bumping into each other on these boards long enough I thought that you may have understood my humor. BTW, some posts need to be taken with a grain of salt and pinch of laughter. ;)

Archived