Ser Ronan Storm

A Timeframe of Ice and Fire: Two Books, Too Many Upcoming Conflicts Left To Go

210 posts in this topic

Not starting a fight with you personally, but it seems that no one cares to address his snotty answers to anything AWOIAF and the fact that he is not young and not exactly the picture of health.

So again...." standards"?

3 hours ago, Ninerings said:

Not starting a fight with you personally, but it seems that no one cares to address his snotty answers to anything AWOIAF and the fact that he is not young and not exactly the picture of health.

So again...." standards"?

What can I say? I like how he writes his books, including Feast and Dance. All the little details and the overall consistency makes them a joy to reread. I care about the result more than his professional conduct.

11 hours ago, The Coconut God said:

What can I say? I like how he writes his books, including Feast and Dance. All the little details and the overall consistency makes them a joy to reread. I care about the result more than his professional conduct.

Totally agree. Love the books too. Even AFfC and ADwD. But he straight up isn't going to finish the story and it is frustrating how he acts like his fans are peasants for DARING to want to read the rest of it.

I care about results, but the results to me spell 'too many plots' to finish in two more books, and the longer it takes him to finish Winds the worse this outcome seems to be.  But then I don't think Feast and Dance, outside of a few individual chapters, were near the quality of the first 3 books, and I am not invested in most of the new POVs or the stories.  The Greyjoy POVs are okay, fairly interesting, but on the whole unnecessary, and the one eyed evil pirate warlock seems to me to be the author trying to top himself....so just not really a fan so far.  I hate the Dorne stuff, I hate the sand snakes, I don't much like Arianne, Doran is a fool, Quentyn's POV was a waste of time...so, the only hope to 'fix' that story is that the Aegon stuff is really good, but no matter how good, it will still be a huge diversion since it doesn't look like he makes it.  Dance made me despise Dany so I am no longer interested in her or what she does as I don't think she deserves to rule Westeros or anywhere else.  Same with Tyrion, I despise him marginally less than Dany, but his chapters were so boring and he became such a jerk, I don't much care about him either.  So, for main characters that only leaves me caring about Jon and Arya.....which I don't think is what the author's purpose was with the last two books.

But, I don't know, these conversations go around in circles.  Sure, if Feast and Dance had been combined as a single book, edited down by about 20% with less filler and more resolution it would have probably stood up to the earlier books in terms of quality and story.  But, that ship sailed  more than ten years ago, long before I had ever heard of GRRM.  I pity the people who started reading this series in the 90s.

@Ninerings I guess I empathize with him. From your perspective, you're invested and you really want to read the next book. From his perspective, it's thousands of people constantly asking the same thing. And it's not helping.

If he doesn't work well under pressure and he has poor commitment ethics, nobody's going to change that at his age. I'd rather hope he will focus on the story being good, because that's something we know he's capable of.

@Cas Stark I agree about going in circles. There's not much I can say without repeating myself. I get your points, I just don't agree with that approach. Let's hope Winds will be released soon so that one of us is proven right!

On 18/06/2017 at 3:06 PM, Cas Stark said:

I care about results, but the results to me spell 'too many plots' to finish in two more books, and the longer it takes him to finish Winds the worse this outcome seems to be.  But then I don't think Feast and Dance, outside of a few individual chapters, were near the quality of the first 3 books, and I am not invested in most of the new POVs or the stories.  The Greyjoy POVs are okay, fairly interesting, but on the whole unnecessary, and the one eyed evil pirate warlock seems to me to be the author trying to top himself....so just not really a fan so far.  I hate the Dorne stuff, I hate the sand snakes, I don't much like Arianne, Doran is a fool, Quentyn's POV was a waste of time...so, the only hope to 'fix' that story is that the Aegon stuff is really good, but no matter how good, it will still be a huge diversion since it doesn't look like he makes it.  Dance made me despise Dany so I am no longer interested in her or what she does as I don't think she deserves to rule Westeros or anywhere else.  Same with Tyrion, I despise him marginally less than Dany, but his chapters were so boring and he became such a jerk, I don't much care about him either.  So, for main characters that only leaves me caring about Jon and Arya.....which I don't think is what the author's purpose was with the last two books.

But, I don't know, these conversations go around in circles.  Sure, if Feast and Dance had been combined as a single book, edited down by about 20% with less filler and more resolution it would have probably stood up to the earlier books in terms of quality and story.  But, that ship sailed  more than ten years ago, long before I had ever heard of GRRM.  I pity the people who started reading this series in the 90s.

I actually believe it is possible to end the series in 2 books. It is a matter of how many characters GRRM kills in this book and if can get all/or almost all povs converging in a few places. If aegon takes KL, jon winterfell, danny leaves for westeros and characters like stannis or cercei die we can have easily almost every character going to KL, winterfell, danny or the iron islands...

If this happens GRRM has the first half of the last book to make these 3 resolve their problems and then the last half to deal with the ww. It should be possible because as there are so many povs together the story actually moves pretty fast...

4 hours ago, divica said:

I actually believe it is possible to end the series in 2 books. It is a matter of how many characters GRRM kills in this book and if can get all/or almost all povs converging in a few places. If aegon takes KL, jon winterfell, danny leaves for westeros and characters like stannis or cercei die we can have easily almost every character going to KL, winterfell, danny or the iron islands...

If this happens GRRM has the first half of the last book to make these 3 resolve their problems and then the last half to deal with the ww. It should be possible because as there are so many povs together the story actually moves pretty fast...

I just feel like the last book will feel so rushed, in my opinion, if your scenario holds true. GRRM has said himself that Dany and Tyrion don't meet up until later into TWOW. That means she won't likely set foot in Westeros until ADOS. So that leaves half a book for her battle with Aegon and half a book for the battle for dawn. GRRM's original intent was three parts - war of the five kings, second dance of dragons, and battle for dawn against the white walkers. If he finishes the series in 7 books, that would mean part one took 3 books and parts 2 and 3 each took a half a book with 3 books in the middle just setting things up. It doesn't take a genius to see where the wheels fell off the train.

I can't see how he can make the last book flow and feel natural while also bringing a proper resolution to so many characters he introduced as well as proper ending to the story. But again, arguing in circles because I also don't feel we'll ever see an end to the story, so it doesn't really matter.

8 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

I just feel like the last book will feel so rushed, in my opinion, if your scenario holds true. GRRM has said himself that Dany and Tyrion don't meet up until later into TWOW. That means she won't likely set foot in Westeros until ADOS. So that leaves half a book for her battle with Aegon and half a book for the battle for dawn. GRRM's original intent was three parts - war of the five kings, second dance of dragons, and battle for dawn against the white walkers. If he finishes the series in 7 books, that would mean part one took 3 books and parts 2 and 3 each took a half a book with 3 books in the middle just setting things up. It doesn't take a genius to see where the wheels fell off the train.

I can't see how he can make the last book flow and feel natural while also bringing a proper resolution to so many characters he introduced as well as proper ending to the story. But again, arguing in circles because I also don't feel we'll ever see an end to the story, so it doesn't really matter.

Exactly.  Seven books is no longer realistic based on the new stories and the pace of Feast and Dance, and what we know of Winds.

4 hours ago, SuperMario said:

I agree that it will seem rushed when we take into account the complexity and detail of the first 3 books. However I think GRRM will die before he writes 3 books. Besides with a fast pace and less plots the quality of the novels would increase and if he can make the characters drift towards jon, aegon, danny and the iron islands (because they are the most misterious and and resolved kingdom now) we could have a good story with several povs in the same location/plot. However when we see that the first 2 arianne chapters are a travel log about the effects of aegon conquest and she still hasn t met him... I kind of lose hope of any real development happening and start to think he would need more 4 or 5 books to end the story...

I mean is aegon going to leave storm's end by the end vol the next book? with so many chapters related to him already out the there and nothing really happening it is getting harder and harder. Not to even mention the north where things seems a light years from reaching a simillar place to the novels...

If we go back to the original trilogy idea, it was (1) war of five kings, (2) Dany's invasion of Westeros/Dance of Dragons II, (3) fight against the Others. And we are soon to be six books into this and it will be that almost all of those books were for only part I of the original trilogy, we may get the very very beginning of Dany's invasion somewhere in Winds, but unless the pace triples in speed, we won't get her and Aegon squaring off and the resolution of that.  So, truthfully, even 8 books is a stretch at this point.