U.S. Elections - Philadelphia edition

TerraPrime

Is Assange still hiding in Russia? I cant stop imagining him being involved with the hacking in some way. Although I'm certain he would never be supportive of Donald the Neanderthal, its no secret how much Julian despises the govt, a govt that is bent on incarcerating him at that. i could see him wanting to take others down with him.

Also cant help thinking of Tulsi Gabbard with a mile wide smile over Wasserman-Schultz being taken down finally lolol.

edit to add Have conflated Assange w/ Snowden in this post:D

6 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Is Assange still hiding in Russia?

I think you're thinking of Edward Snowden, who is hiding in Russia while seeking asylum. Assange is still holed up in the Ecuadoran Embassy in London, where he's been since 2012.

DOH pwnd by Malt!

6 minutes ago, sologdin said:

why is everyone freaking about people wanting to feel the johnson?  won't that split the rightwing vote?

It seems like he's actually taking more support from Clinton than Trump right now. That'll probably fade over time, especially if the convention succeeds at unifying the party. But for now at least, Johnson is not a net plus for Clinton.

And Johnson for his part has tried to moderate his positions to be as appealing as possible. So much so that the Libertarian convention ended up being pretty messy himself and he was no shoe-in for their nomination. He clearly wants to hit that 5% in the results and get access to public financing for 2020, and if possible get 15% in the polls and be included in the debates this election.

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

It seems like he's actually taking more support from Clinton than Trump right now. That'll probably fade over time, especially if the convention succeeds at unifying the party. But for now at least, Johnson is not a net plus for Clinton.

Plus Stein is also pulling support from Clinton. So in effect, if Johnson takes equally support from Clinton and Trump it helps Trump. 

46 minutes ago, TerraPrime said:

Please continue.

21 minutes ago, sologdin said:

why is everyone freaking about people wanting to feel the johnson?  won't that split the rightwing vote?

Idiot BernieBros who never actually paid attention to his political stances or opinions but latched onto the anti-establishment candidate of the hour.  Same reason a lot of the very vocal Sanders supporters are ex-Paulites.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Plus Stein is also pulling support from Clinton. So in effect, if Johnson takes equally support from Clinton and Trump it helps Trump. 

Stein isn't actually a threat though. She's not on the ballot in the most of the swing states, so even the 2%-3% she's getting in the polls now is dramatically overstated (also, she got 44,000 votes in 2012 in the end). Johnson's support is likely also overstated (although this cycle is weird, so maybe not by as much as usual), but at least he's actually on the ballot in all 50 states.

ETA: On another note, Sanders is talking to his delegates right now, trying to get them on board the unity train before the convention starts. He really is trying his hardest, but it doesn't look like its going so great right now.

7 minutes ago, MerenthaClone said:

Idiot BernieBros who never actually paid attention to his political stances or opinions but latched onto the anti-establishment candidate of the hour.  Same reason a lot of the very vocal Sanders supporters are ex-Paulites.

Is that true?  That makes no sense to me.

5 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Is that true?  That makes no sense to me.

Anti-establishment types. It doesn't have to make sense.

On the other hand, those people were never likely to vote Democrat anyway so it's not like they matter much overall.

The ones you wanna worry about are:

1) disaffected Sanders' supporters causing shit at the convention and feeding into a bad media narrative

2) disaffected Sanders' supporters who aren't of the solely-anti-establishment variety who will become turned off participating in the system because their guy lost and they've been convinced it's all because the system is rigged

Hopefully there's none of the first and few of the second. Sanders is certainly doing what he can today to deal with both but, well, he's getting booed by his own supporters today apparently:

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/bernie-sanders-booed-when-he-tells-his-supporters-they-should-vote-for-hillary-clinton/

While Sanders drew cheers when he trashed Donald Trump during his address, the audience erupted into boos when he said that “we have got to elect Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine.”

38 minutes ago, sologdin said:

Well, there's the issue of Johnson also pulling potential left-wing votes from people who are all "a pox on both houses".

But the other issue is you don't want right-wingers voting Johnson. You want them staying home. Cause normally-Republican people voting Johnson will also vote downticket and what you really want to do as the Democrats is trash Trump and tie the downticket candidates to Trump so that republicans don't come out to vote at all. That way you make big gains in congress and at the state level.

To return to the subjects of Wikileaks:

A few new things on the Russian connection.

Firstly, this article that should raise some serious red flags:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-hacked-emails-of-dnc-oppo-researcher-point-to-russians-and-wider-penetration-154121061.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Just weeks after she started preparing opposition research files on Donald Trump’s campaign chairman Paul Manafort last spring, Democratic National Committee consultant Alexandra Chalupa got an alarming message when she logged into her personal Yahoo email account.

“Important action required,” read a pop-up box from a Yahoo security team that is informally known as “the Paranoids.” “We strongly suspect that your account has been the target of state-sponsored actors.”

Chalupa — who had been drafting memos and writing emails about Manafort’s connection to pro-Russian political leaders in Ukraine — quickly alerted top DNC officials. “Since I started digging into Manafort, these messages have been a daily oc­­­­currence on my Yahoo account despite changing my p­­a­ssword often,” she wrote in a May 3 email to Luis Miranda, the DNC’s communications director, which included an attached screengrab of the image of the Yahoo security warning.

“I was freaked out,” Chalupa, who serves as director of “ethnic engagement” for the DNC, told Yahoo News in an interview, noting that she had been in close touch with sources in Kiev, Ukraine, including a number of investigative journalists, who had been providing her with information about Manafort’s political and business dealings in that country and Russia.

Yup, that's Manafort as in the top Trump advisor with connections to alot of russian interests. He gets investigated and suddenly the person doing the investigation gets hacked.

Also another decent write-up from John Marshall:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/it-can-t-be-dismissed

And finally, just another example of how Wikileaks are real pieces of shit:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zeynep-tufekci/wikileaks-erdogan-emails_b_11158792.html

Just days after a bloody coup attempt shook Turkey, Wikileaks dumped some 300,000 emails they chose to call “Erdogan emails.” In response, Turkey’s internet governance body swiftly blocked access to Wikileaks.

However, this dump does include massive databases containing sensitive and private information of millions of ordinary people, including a special database of almost all adult women in Turkey.

Yes — this “leak” actually contains spreadsheets of private, sensitive information of what appears to be every female voter in 79 out of 81 provinces in Turkey, including their home addresses and other private information, sometimes including their cellphone numbers. If these women are members of Erdogan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (known as the AKP), the dumped files also contain their Turkish citizenship ID, which increases the risk to them as the ID is used in practicing a range of basic rights and accessing services. I’ve gone through the files myself. The Istanbul file alone contains more than a million women’s private information, and there are 79 files, with most including information of many hundreds of thousands of women.

26 minutes ago, Fez said:

Stein isn't actually a threat though. She's not on the ballot in the most of the swing states, so even the 2%-3% she's getting in the polls now is dramatically overstated (also, she got 44,000 votes in 2012 in the end). Johnson's support is likely also overstated (although this cycle is weird, so maybe not by as much as usual), but at least he's actually on the ballot in all 50 states.

Stein certainly won't have the same impact as Johnson, but she shouldn't be dismissed either. I expect her numbers will be up from 2012 (and where are you getting 44k from? I'm seeing 469,501 from 2012). And my point was that if Stein gets 2% and Johnson gets 6%, and if his support comes equally from the right and the left, then the net effect will be favorable to Trump. 

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, it's starting to look like Sanders caused a lot more damage than originally thought. And that his endorsement and aiding is going to make things worse.

No surprise there. Many of his supporters, as you well know, despise Hillary Clinton.

@BloodRider

Get educated on this. You are very deluded if you think Johnson is in the right about social issues. 

He's still a far better choice than recklessness and buffoonery.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Stein certainly won't have the same impact as Johnson, but she shouldn't be dismissed either. I expect her numbers will be up from 2012 (and where are you getting 44k from? I'm seeing 469,501 from 2012). And my point was that if Stein gets 2% and Johnson gets 6%, and if his support comes equally from the right and the left, then the net effect will be favorable to Trump. 

44,000 was the number I heard; seems I heard wrong. I didn't actually look it up myself.

I really don't see Stein as a threat, ballot access is too big a barrier. The threats are people staying home or voting for Johnson. Maybe they would vote for Stein if they could, but they can't; even if some of them won't realize that until they see the ballot.

Archived