U.S. Elections - Philadelphia edition

TerraPrime

12 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I believe you owe me some IQ points that I lost after listening to that. It also convinces me that in fact it's not necessary to hear what the other side has to say (either side) unless you are actually part of the campaign and you need to know what the attacks are being aimed at.

The big smoking gun was Hillary saying she wasn't involved in the whole e-mail scandals and hasn't read through the leaked emails? So far the leaked e-mails seem to back up Hillary's claim of not being involved. So why was that clip such a big deal?

That's fair, it was really really stupid. I guess I was just thinking that some liberal videos that do nothing but call Trump a racist without explaining why might sound the same to a conservative.

that said, all the conservative writers I actually respect, even racists like Charles Murray, are anti Trump.

27 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

That's fair, it was really really stupid. I guess I was just thinking that some liberal videos that do nothing but call Trump a racist without explaining why might sound the same to a conservative.

that said, all the conservative writers I actually respect, even racists like Charles Murray, are anti Trump.

It seems like the partisan commentariat are either full of shit and / or just repeating stuff you already know and have decided isn't important enough to change your voting intentions. These people never have new information on a topic, even a potentially damaging very recent one like the DNC e-mails. 

John Oliver is better at giving people a new or different perspective on socially and politically important issues than most of the serious pundits on either side. And really that's a bad thing for social and political discourse.

Okay, mad props to the concept. Bill Clinton giving the traditional first lady speech - the one about humanizing the candidate and making them more relatable - is brilliant in its simplicity and who is giving it. By doing this, it puts the weight of a president behind her while not pushing his accomplishments. 

Nicely done.

Plus police academy.

Thought it meandered at times and lost me early on but I got and appreciate the point he was making. Someone needed to humanize her and I guess him and Chelsea are pretty much the only ones that can. Contrast this speech with Melania's and the effectiveness should be night and day.

Meandering, but a purposeful meandering. Like Kal, I was a little worried about what Bill Clinton would say.  I thought he might go self-indulgent and would make it about himself, but that was well done. He seems to be nearing the end of his powers, but he can still bring it.

5 minutes ago, Triskan said:

Meryl Streep trying to recreate the Dean Scream but weirder?

I am still thinking about Silverman's put down from yesterday.  It was one of the most cathartic things ever.  In an instant many Bros felt on a visceral level, that yes, they were being ridiculous. 

While those Sanders supporters were being ridiculous, it's hard to take Silverman seriously given some of the really ignorant shit she has done in the past, like that ridiculous blackface bullshit. 

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Meandering, but a purposeful meandering. Like Kal, I was a little worried about what Bill Clinton would say.  I thought he might go self-indulgent and would make it about himself, but that was well done. He seems to be nearing the end of his powers, but he can still bring it.

You just gotta keep him off the topic of his presidency. He's really defensive about that shit and it can get ugly.

Keep him doing stuff like talking about his wife or policy or sitting on Trump and he almost always nails it.

Apparently Kaine has been a past supporter of "Right-to-Work" , I think this bothers labor even more than the past TPP support. I know it didnt play well amongst my fellow rank and file today at our local lodge.

The Nation reported on it a few days ago- https://www.thenation.com/article/tim-kaine-has-a-troubling-record-on-labor-issues/

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

. He seems to be nearing the end of his powers, but he can still bring it.

"Those of us who have more yesterdays than tomorrows." In other words.

i loved the way he understatedly tied his close into obamas theme from last night, making it about children and the future and who do you want for them.

also overall liking the Trudeau esque tenor of patriotism and positivism of both nights.

A silly female journalist during a White House press briefing asked the press Secretary why Obama will not name The Duck by name (and neither will I). Here is the video:

It's 13 minutes and 45 seconds into the video.

Why? If I were the press secretary I'd have said the following: Because by naming him, we will be doing him a favor by giving him free advertising as you are right now!

4 minutes ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Why do you characterize her as "silly?" It's a legit question. She asked it in a professional manner. 

Because it's frustrating that nobody in all American journalism has figured out The Duck's trick at manipulating the media. That is get as many people as possible talking about you for good or bad and maximizing name exposure. Obama's mouth would be a huge speaker. Pity the press Secretary dodged an easy answer.

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

Is the fact that she's a female journalist relevant, though? When you say 'silly female journalist', that comes off badly.

You're right. It's not relevant. Out of habit I guess. My sincere apologies.

My only defense to the word 'silly' is that some insults are often reserved for certain genders. I only call men douchebags for example. Silly in my personal opinion is a gentle way of saying 'Come on now, you're better than that!'

Maybe she wanted to have Obama say that so they can run an article talking about the free media Trump gets, since they can't exactly just run an article centered on "we think Trump gets too much free publicity" but they easily can on "Obama thinks Trump gets too much free publicity (and we agree)".  If you want to start a narrative as a journalist, you can't just go create one, you need to lead someone to act as your starting point.

Or we could go with your theory where a bunch of people making all of their money from selling publicity don't  understand the value of free publicity.

E: that's not to say that my explanation is the only one, just that I think it's very silly to assume a White House reporter is somehow ignorant of the value of political speech.  She could just want a pageview-generating quote, too.

Archived