I just finished all five books for the first time... What comes next!?

Hadoken92

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I solely made an account because I finished the books and I don't know what else to do with myself! It was soooo good, but I feel that I've forgotten so much already, especially with all the names from Dany's story.... I can't necessarily do a reread just yet because I continue school next week (very demanding schooling) and it could be weeks before I pick up from where I left off (which leads to more forgetting...). I'm currently reading other books on my list (shorter length), but I don't want to leave this world aside entirely. What'd you guys and gals do once you finished?

Thanks!

Welcome. If you haven't already done so check out the Dunk and Egg Novella collection of the three stories we have so far. They dont take too long to get through and aren't as taxing on the brain as the main series. Although there are great clues etc to look out for. 

I'd also buy the World of ice and fire book with all the artwork to skim through, it's brilliant. And download the WOIAF app to. 

That will keep you going.

15 minutes ago, Hadoken92 said:

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I solely made an account because I finished the books and I don't know what else to do with myself!

Waiting...

Weeping and gnashing of teeth..

Nah, really, there are 5 good Novella's (The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, The Mystery Knight, The Princess and the Queen, and The Rogue Prince.)

Plus there is The World of Ice and Fire, which is perfect, if you " don't want to leave this world aside entirely."

Once that is finished...then the pain REALLY begins :D

22 minutes ago, Hadoken92 said:

Hey everyone!

I'm new to this forum and I solely made an account because I finished the books and I don't know what else to do with myself! It was soooo good, but I feel that I've forgotten so much already, especially with all the names from Dany's story.... I can't necessarily do a reread just yet because I continue school next week (very demanding schooling) and it could be weeks before I pick up from where I left off (which leads to more forgetting...). I'm currently reading other books on my list (shorter length), but I don't want to leave this world aside entirely. What'd you guys and gals do once you finished?

Thanks!

You could get the audiobooks for a "reread". They're great to play in the car or when you're washing dishes or making breakfast.

In addition to the novellas listed in the previous comments, there is also a children's story called the Ice Dragon that is set in the same world.

As everyone else has said Dunk and Egg is a great "in-between re-reads" books. Much easier to get through and not as complicated and a much easier read.I'd also read the World of Ice and Fire too before rereading. I found that reading that book helped me understand a lot of what was going on in the main books.

4 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

As everyone else has said Dunk and Egg is a great "in-between re-reads" books. Much easier to get through and not as complicated and a much easier read.I'd also read the World of Ice and Fire too before rereading. I found that reading that book helped me understand a lot of what was going on in the main books.

I second this, uber helpful!

And after  you read all those you can start digging good theories here on the forum and if WOW take too long, while waiting, you can start rereading the five main books, the other stories and WOIAF.

I did that... my account is:

The World of Ice and Fire i already read once in english and now i'm reading it on my natural born language.

Tales of Dunk and Egg; Princess and the Queen; Rougue Prince; i read twice each one

ASOIAF five books and WOW sample chapters avialable on internet i read at least 3 times and i am actually reading it again, it's the 4th time and i'm on ACoK now. Sadly i think i will finish the whole series a lot of time before Winds of Winter is released.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

As others above have suggested, read the novellas and AWOIAF, rinse and repeat. 

This. Also the Winds of Winter spoilers chapters if you are inclined to be spoiled.

Wait patiently.  That's all you can do.  And, as already suggested, bide your time by re-reading the books and reading the novellas and AWOIAF.  Reading threads on this forum (and participating, even!) can also be quite insightful at times. 

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I think I'll purchase the Dunk and Egg stories and read those. I'm gonna clear out my backlog and also give A World of Ice and Fire a shot. That should last me a while, at least until WoW comes out, hopefully.

Again, thanks everyone!

A re-read doesn't have to be particularly taxing.  Just do a single POV at a time.  OP, you say you've forgotten some of the Dany stuff,  you can read only the Dany chapters.  When I did this style of re-read, I picked up a lot of stuff I missed the first time.

All of the other suggestions are also good.  So have fun.

Good luck with your studies.

8 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

A re-read doesn't have to be particularly taxing.  Just do a single POV at a time.  OP, you say you've forgotten some of the Dany stuff,  you can read only the Dany chapters.  When I did this style of re-read, I picked up a lot of stuff I missed the first time.

All of the other suggestions are also good.  So have fun.

Good luck with your studies.

that's great advice , there are so many things to pick up in a reread. I'll pick up ADWD and reread the Barristan chapters or the Jaimie chapters in AFFC and so on .  You spend the next year doing that and you will have a much more detailed understanding of what happened in the story and a much more appreciation of what GRRM has accomplished . 

23 hours ago, Hadoken92 said:

Hey everyone!

Thanks!

Watch Preston Jacob's videos. He explains what is really going on. 

Archived