ALL storylines that need to be resolved at the end of season 8.

Emie

6 hours ago, House_Tony_Stark said:

Is there a justification of why they want to cut the series short? I mean this is not like Tru Blood where HBO was just pulling stuff out their behind for season 1000. There is literally a high demand for this show and lot's of unresolved stories. 

Why cut it short while viewership is still high?

Yeah this i don't get, if a movie is successful and it's possible to make a franchise out of it they milk it dry, the only thing i can think of is how much it takes over cast,staff,writers etc lifes more so than your average show.

Still I could easily watch 10+ seasons of this show, if they had done it right from the start and gone into much more detail and included smaller houses and their stories. I actually find this kind of thing interesting and find myself delving into it on the internet, should probably read the books but I'm holding off till the end of the show so I dont start confusing what happened between the two.

1 hour ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Yeah this i don't get, if a movie is successful and it's possible to make a franchise out of it they milk it dry, the only thing i can think of is how much it takes over cast,staff,writers etc lifes more so than your average show.

Still I could easily watch 10+ seasons of this show, if they had done it right from the start and gone into much more detail and included smaller houses and their stories. I actually find this kind of thing interesting and find myself delving into it on the internet, should probably read the books but I'm holding off till the end of the show so I dont start confusing what happened between the two.

This all began waaaaay back in season 2 where they were dubious of a 3/4 season run.

However by season 4 they had begun dropping storylines left and right because I think the production team want to capo lose on their success and do other projects.  They don't want to make ten seasons.

they don't care about the source material anymore. They've left it behind.

its a joke.

8 hours ago, House_Tony_Stark said:

Is there a justification of why they want to cut the series short? I mean this is not like Tru Blood where HBO was just pulling stuff out their behind for season 1000. There is literally a high demand for this show and lot's of unresolved stories. 

Why cut it short while viewership is still high?

Well they're already going beyond the originally projected seven seasons because the milked Storm for two seasons, making eight total. The tale has a discrete end that they're moving relentlessly towards. 

It also appears that they've lost their own enthusiasm for it and want to move on.

11 hours ago, The Dragon has three heads said:

This all began waaaaay back in season 2 where they were dubious of a 3/4 season run.

However by season 4 they had begun dropping storylines left and right because I think the production team want to capo lose on their success and do other projects.  They don't want to make ten seasons.

they don't care about the source material anymore. They've left it behind.

its a joke.

Come on, they clearly care very deeply about this story.  They have been working themselves to death for 8 years on this thing.  If they didn't care they'd take on more writers and producers - it's their baby and they are committed to see it come to a satisfying end.

On the other hand they like most people realized that GRRMs narrative kind of fell apart during the last two books so there's no way they could keep adapting it so faithfully and have a show people want to watch.  But unlike everyone else they actually know what GRRM meant the ending to be.  They decided since they won't have the books to write from they will try to get to that ending, And they cut or marginalized a lot of the fat on the way which was the only real choice. 

...then why doesn't their own narrative make any sense? 

They pick a point Ie Jon as KITN and bash their way to that point generally running rough shod over the rules try established early on.  Without structure and rules, the furniture of the story falls to pieces.  Season 5 and six were very hard to watch because of bad wriTing and narrative choices that broke or disregarded the rules they faithfully adapted early on.

they can do better and I expect better.

I have a lot of respect for D&D sticking to their guns and insisting on bringing the story to a close, when there are huge financial incentives and what I imagine is a lot of pressure from HBO to keep the money train going and turn GOT into the next The Walking Dead. Fans who whine about the show coming to a close so quickly while simultaneously whining about how much the show sucks are hilarious. If they think it's so terrible, shouldn't they be happy about a swift end?

16 hours ago, The Dragon has three heads said:

...then why doesn't their own narrative make any sense? 

I didn't have any problem following the narrative.  Maybe the issue you're having is that the narrative we got differs from the one that many book readers were anticipating.  I don't see a problem with this.  I certainly didn't anticipate everything that happened in the books.  And I'm thankful for that.  

16 hours ago, The Dragon has three heads said:

They pick a point Ie Jon as KITN and bash their way to that point generally running rough shod over the rules try established early on.  Without structure and rules, the furniture of the story falls to pieces.  Season 5 and six were very hard to watch because of bad wriTing and narrative choices that broke or disregarded the rules they faithfully adapted early on.

they can do better and I expect better.

Season 6 was overall excellent, IMO, and by far it is the by every objective measure the most successful and most watched season of the show.   It was exhilarating.  If it was so "hard to watch" why are millions of people watching it every week and clamboring for more?  And please don't try to use the "show only watchers are stupid" argument. 

By the way, when you look at unsullied forums, mostly people disliked Season 5 but loved Season 6.  

On 7/26/2016 at 2:47 AM, Jellofish said:
  • Samwell Tarly - His status at the library and his sword.
  • Daenerys Targaryen - Conquering the Iron Throne
  • Euron Greyjoy - Salt Throne
  • Littlefinger and Sansa
  • Arya
  • GENDRY
  • THE WHITE WALKERS
  • Cersei and the Valonqar prophecy
  • Bran Stark
  • Jorah Mormont and his greyscale
  • Sandor Clegane
  • Nymeria the direwolf
  • Melisandre and Kinvara
  • The brotherhood without banners
  • Brienne and Pod

This is a good list looking quick......... except for, I believe Nymeria the She-Wolf will not return.

Oh, but you did forget Messandei, Dhario, and the fate of the Unsullied and also the fate of the current Khalasaar.

3 hours ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I didn't have any problem following the narrative.  Maybe the issue you're having is that the narrative we got differs from the one that many book readers were anticipating.  I don't see a problem with this.  I certainly didn't anticipate everything that happened in the books.  And I'm thankful for that.  

Season 6 was overall excellent, IMO, and by far it is the by every objective measure the most successful and most watched season of the show.   It was exhilarating.  If it was so "hard to watch" why are millions of people watching it every week and clamboring for more?  And please don't try to use the "show only watchers are stupid" argument. 

By the way, when you look at unsullied forums, mostly people disliked Season 5 but loved Season 6.  

It's funny. There's no longer 'but it didn't happen in the books' or 'it happened differently'. Now it's 'it clashes with my tinfoil', 'that's not what I wanted'.

This season needs to deal with Dany's invasion. I'm thinking in the end after successfully conquering Westeros, she'll turn her attention towards the WW so the eighth season can be about all about the great war. Maybe the Others will start to make their moves so Jon has something to do instead of "learning how to rule" again, but it won't be until the final episodes that we'll have that BOOM cliffhanger.

On July 29, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Ruhail said:

Just Gendry them.

Yeah honestly I wouldn't be surprised if they do this to a bunch of people. 

They obviously can't give very unique endings to each person. They'd essentially have to start s07e01 by doing the LoTR ending sequence haha. 

Maybe some stuff will be obscure and the books will flesh everything out? I mean that's sort of the assumed moving forward.

The converging stories for season 7 and how I see it based on what we saw in season 6.

This is how I see the remaining seasons going down.

I'm expecting Jorah to arrive at the Citadel and meet Sam. He would be the bridge between them. Sam finds out about the dragons and tells Dany to head north at the end of season 7. Not sure if he cures Jorah's greyscale though.

Dany invading Westeros.

Euron and Cersei brokering an alliance. It may include marriage because as Yara said, that is part of the deal. Not sure whether Cersei will go for it though.

Queenbowl. I think one of the dragons will die during Queenbowl.

I think Jamie will initially leave Cersei, only to come back to kill her. She might not die in season 7. She may escape to Casterly Rock.

The Riverlands. I'm just expecting everyone to initially converge into one group. However, I'm sure some will go north and some will head south. Maybe Jamie will head to the Riverlands to meet up with Brienne and meet with Arya. He would become Arya's guardian whilst Brienne is Sansa's. Mel has also got to meet up with the Riverlands team. Hopefully Gendry will get in on the action. The rest of the Freys will die.

North.

Bran will cross the wall and head to Winterfell. The wall will start to slowly crack. The Whitewalkers won't pass until season 8. Howver Castle Black might be destroyed at the end of season 7.

Littlefinger and Sansa. I think it will appear that Sansa is backstabbing Jon and will possibly marry Littlefinger. But it will be part of her plan to destroy him. If Littlefinger dies, she holds the power over Robyn as she is his cousin and much older. Edmure is currently being held hostage and doesn't care. So Sansa will be the one to take the power of the Vale after killing Littlefinger. Maybe he'll be poisoned at his own wedding.

Jon will find out about his parentage. He might decide to go and find Howland Reed. I'd be surprised if he left Sansa, but you never know. That would leave her in charge of Winterfell and maybe Queen in the North, unless they still accept him as he is Lyanna's son.

The other political issues will be the arrival of Dany. They are likely to see her as a threat and discussions as to whether he will bend the knee.

BwB will head north and Thoros will replace Mel as Jon's red priestess.

By season 8 everyone will be converging north.

Dany will struggle because her soldiers are not equipped to face the cold, especially the Dothraki.

Sam will be the bridge between Jon and Dany and will encourage them to marry.

Either the penultimate episode will be the war for the Dawn or the final episode will be significantly longer. Maybe 2 hours.

I don't see season 8 being battle after battle. It would get too boring. So I'd expect a couple of skirmishes and then the big battle. It would also be too costly and time consuming.

The rest will be down to who survives the war of the dawn.

I got a lot of season 6 right in the overall plot. Even down to Brienne and Tormund. But that was the only side plot that I correctly anticipated. I'm using the same approach to season 7 to try and work out what will happen as I did in season 6.

Out of the animals, I only expect Nymeria to survive. The direwolf fate is tied with the fate of their owners. That suggests to me that Ghost doesn't make it. However, the complication in that is that he isn't a Stark, so Ghost could buck the trend.

One thing I expect to see in season 8 is the health of the dragons deteriorating as they head north.

I don't think the wall will fall in one go. If it did it could cause earthquakes and tsunami's. It does have magic built in so it could amplify the effect.

I also think we'll get a some more flashbacks from Bran. The relationship between Rhaegar and Lyanna has to be resolved/revealed.

On 5 August 2016 at 5:42 AM, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I had no trouble following it, thanks, it just wasn't very well put together and railroaded a lot of nuances that are important to the story, (nights watch deserterting walking dead man anyone? No KITN) to get to a desired end point that given their pre established rules was not fulfilling, in my opinion.

Also, Dorne.

Any argument for season 6 is invalid.

On 8/4/2016 at 7:47 AM, Newstar said:

I have a lot of respect for D&D sticking to their guns and insisting on bringing the story to a close, when there are huge financial incentives and what I imagine is a lot of pressure from HBO to keep the money train going and turn GOT into the next The Walking Dead. Fans who whine about the show coming to a close so quickly while simultaneously whining about how much the show sucks are hilarious. If they think it's so terrible, shouldn't they be happy about a swift end?

I agreed. I like that D&D stay true to their decision on when the show have to end and tried to at least follow major plot points from the book instead of padding and go 180% angle unlike what happened to The Walking Dead show.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:07 AM, Mandzipop said:

Out of the animals, I only expect Nymeria to survive. The direwolf fate is tied with the fate of their owners. That suggests to me that Ghost doesn't make it. However, the complication in that is that he isn't a Stark, so Ghost could buck the trend.

Usually there's a symbolism with the direwolves' death in show regardless with Ghost. Shaddydog died, Rickon's purpose is merely a plot device for Jon to become KitN, hence the Shaggy Dog trope. Summer died, winter has come. For this reason, Ghost represent Jon's bastard status. Jon receive little attention from the people around him due to being a bastard. But now that became KitN, earning attentions and respect from the northern houses and the wildlings, Ghost may die immediately in season 7. The fact that they initially plan Ghost to partake the Battle of the Bastards further indicate the case.

On 8/6/2016 at 7:07 AM, Mandzipop said:

Maybe Jamie will head to the Riverlands to meet up with Brienne and meet with Arya. He would become Arya's guardian whilst Brienne is Sansa's. Mel has also got to meet up with the Riverlands team. Hopefully Gendry will get in on the action.

I don't think Jaime is returning to Riverlands. At this point, Cersei blew up KL and Jaime has to confront the Mad Queen and possibly to fulfill the Valonqar prophecy.

On the flip note, i'm expecting Arya to ask Mel what did she do to Gendry and we will have an upgrade on the "Gendry sill rowing the boat" memes. :lol:

Archived