Jon Snow's potential love interests.

TheDemonicStark

Giving how many shippers there are for Jon Snow, I have been thinking about who Jon Snow could end up with by the end, as we all know he will return, and R+L=J will be confirmed. So, I've complied a list of possible love interests for him.

Sansa Stark: Unlikely. Neither has interacted with the other throughout the whole book series once. They barely even are in the same chapter together at all.

Arya Stark: Might have been the original end game pairing, but even less likely then Sansa x Jon. Jon was raised with Arya, and regards her as his little sister. They share a close brother sister relationship, and I would prefer if it doesn't blossom into romance. Seriously, family love is what they feel for one another. Arya hasn't even had her first period as well, for Christ sake's! I don't want another Ceresi x Jamie relationship, even if they are just cousins.

Daenerys Targaryen: Neither one knows the other exists. Jon has heard the rumours of dragons, and that is about it. Plus, he wouldn't be comfortable marrying his aunt. He was raised in the North, where that is frowned on.

Margaery Tyrell: She's the widow of Joffrey. Seriously, why would he marry Joffrey's widow?

Elia Sand: I had this idea because it actually seems rather symbolic. Jon marrying the niece of the woman his father left for his mother, who is also the namesake of his bride. I liked the idea for a while, but dismissed. Again, neither knows about the other. 

Jeyne Westerling: Hmm....the former Queen of the North. Not sure at all, really. She might not survive long enough, for all we know.

So, given that I have exhausted all the popular ships, and with Ygritte never coming back, we have two potential love interests left.

Val: Defiantly a strong possibility. He is attracted to her, and she does respect him as well. This does stand a chance of happening. Provided Val survives until Jon returns, of course. No one is safe from the GRRM Reaper, people.

Jeyne Poole: I think this one could happen because if Jeyne does arrive at the Wall and Jon returns from the dead, she'll see him as a protector, and probably fall madly in love with him. We have a heavily traumatised girl who has been trained as a whore by Littlefinger, married to Ramsay Bolton, was forced to pretend to be someone she is not, and then the person she thought would protect turns out to be dead, only to come back to life? Yeah, she'll see him as the hero from one of the stories she grew up hearing about, of brave heroes saving a damsal in distress from her evil husband. Of course she'll be head over heels in love with him! The only question is, what will Jon do? He thought about sending Arya to Bravoos, but once he learns it was Jeyne Poole the whole time, well, that option goes out the window. No one would take care of a steward's daughter, let alone one who has been trained as a whore. There isn't really anywhere he can send her that is safe. The Wall is going to be a battlefield once the Others attack, and there are plenty of people who would take advantage of her, or even rape her. So, he may end up taking her with him to protect her. He would feel he has a duty to her. Whether or not he does marry her is up to debate, I admit. He might do it before Ramsay dies, because Jeyne's marriage to the Bastard of Bolton is technically false, as Ramsay is supposed to be married to Arya Stark, not Jeyne Poole. If he does marry her, it would probably be out of pity and because he feels compelled to do so. This would also put him in such an awkward position once R+L=J is confirmed, as he would be unable to marry the highborn daughters of certain great houses, and these great houses would not exactly except Jeyne Poole as their queen for obvious reasons. Trust GRRM to subvert the "common girl becomes queen" trope. One potential clue for this relationship is that Jeyne is the fArya, and we all know what the final shipping was going to be.

Tell me what you think.

Jeyne Poole would be a sweet story...too sweet for Westeros or GRRM. 

I mean I guess out of these options Val would be best, if for no other reason than Jon actually knows her and she's like Ygritte, the only real love interest he's had. 

Sansa and Arya are both big nos for me. I've never understood that line of thinking (though to be fair, I've never read any of the threads out of disgust). 

Southern women have no incentive other than beauty I guess. Plus he's never met them. They would only matter if he has some plan to take control in the south or war against the Iron Throne again, which I don't see. Northern ambition stops at independence. 

Dany I guess does make sense, but personally I don't want to see it. 

Jeyne Westerling is an interesting idea, especially if she does indeed have Robb's heir. I think Jon would lead until he came of age and then serve as Hand of the King of Winter. Northern Lords would go crazy over the son of the Young Wolf, raised by the White Wolf. Of course, Jeyne with an heir could cause massive problems as well. 

Personally, I'd put forth Wylla Manderly. Fiercely loyal to the Starks, roughly the same age as Jon, daughter of the Lord who took up the mantle of responsibility among his peers and helped put the Starks back on top. 

All signs seem to point to Val. I know the Dany thing seems cheesy (and it is). They are the two prophesied/magical "main charters" of the novels and we are conditioned by other works of fiction into believing that they will be together. Seeing how GRRM plays with tropes, I don't see this happening. But then again....

1 hour ago, TheDemonicStark said:

...as we all know he will return, and R+L=J will be confirmed...

Nothing is certain.

I would agree that Val seems like a likely candidate, but she is by no means a sure thing.

I gotta say though, I really like the idea of Jeyne Poole ending up with Jon.

But sill I'm not certain about anything. I feel like it's pretty likely that Jon Snow will return, but I wouldn't wager too much on it. We also can't forget the Prologue of A Dance with Dragons. One thing I do feel certain about is that the purpose of that chapter was to acquaint us with the idea of the "second life."

59 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

Jeyne Poole would be a sweet story...too sweet for Westeros or GRRM. 

I mean I guess out of these options Val would be best, if for no other reason than Jon actually knows her and she's like Ygritte, the only real love interest he's had. 

Sansa and Arya are both big nos for me. I've never understood that line of thinking (though to be fair, I've never read any of the threads out of disgust). 

Southern women have no incentive other than beauty I guess. Plus he's never met them. They would only matter if he has some plan to take control in the south or war against the Iron Throne again, which I don't see. Northern ambition stops at independence. 

Dany I guess does make sense, but personally I don't want to see it. 

Jeyne Westerling is an interesting idea, especially if she does indeed have Robb's heir. I think Jon would lead until he came of age and then serve as Hand of the King of Winter. Northern Lords would go crazy over the son of the Young Wolf, raised by the White Wolf. Of course, Jeyne with an heir could cause massive problems as well. 

Personally, I'd put forth Wylla Manderly. Fiercely loyal to the Starks, roughly the same age as Jon, daughter of the Lord who took up the mantle of responsibility among his peers and helped put the Starks back on top. 

Wylla? Hmm......possible. Though, Wyman might consider it an insult if she did marry a bastard, as everyone thinks Jon to be.

2 minutes ago, TheDemonicStark said:

Wylla? Hmm......possible. Though, Wyman might consider it an insult if she did marry a bastard, as everyone thinks Jon to be.

By the time thing calm down enough to have a marriage, I think people will know who Jon really is. Or even if not, I think Wyman would get over the bastard part if Jon just saved the damn world from the Others. 

I'm admittedly a huge Manderly fan, but I think Wylla has a solid case. 

Definitely not likely: Jeyne Poole, Jeyne Westerling, Elia Sand (and other SandSnakes, or Arianne Martell), Sansa

Might happen, but not endgame: Val

Will happen (in a way or another), might be endgame or not: Dany

If it happens, then it is endgame: Arya

Other possible candidates (though not very likely): Wylla Manderly, Meera Reed, Margaery?, Alys (if the Magnar dies)

I personally like the idea of Jon ending up with either Arya, Meera, Alys or Wylla

I'm kind of neutral towards: Val

Definitely don't want: Dany, Sansa, Jeynes, SandSnakes/Martells, Margaery

In 5-10 years, other candidates: Lyanna Mormont, Shireen Baratheon, Missandei (I wonder if that would work...)

4 hours ago, TheDemonicStark said:

Giving how many shippers there are for Jon Snow, I have been thinking about who Jon Snow could end up with by the end, as we all know he will return, and R+L=J will be confirmed. So, I've complied a list of possible love interests for him.

Sansa Stark: Unlikely. Neither has interacted with the other throughout the whole book series once. They barely even are in the same chapter together at all.

Arya Stark: Might have been the original end game pairing, but even less likely then Sansa x Jon. Jon was raised with Arya, and regards her as his little sister. They share a close brother sister relationship, and I would prefer if it doesn't blossom into romance. Seriously, family love is what they feel for one another. Arya hasn't even had her first period as well, for Christ sake's! I don't want another Ceresi x Jamie relationship, even if they are just cousins.

Daenerys Targaryen: Neither one knows the other exists. Jon has heard the rumours of dragons, and that is about it. Plus, he wouldn't be comfortable marrying his aunt. He was raised in the North, where that is frowned on.

Margaery Tyrell: She's the widow of Joffrey. Seriously, why would he marry Joffrey's widow?

Elia Sand: I had this idea because it actually seems rather symbolic. Jon marrying the niece of the woman his father left for his mother, who is also the namesake of his bride. I liked the idea for a while, but dismissed. Again, neither knows about the other. 

Jeyne Westerling: Hmm....the former Queen of the North. Not sure at all, really. She might not survive long enough, for all we know.

So, given that I have exhausted all the popular ships, and with Ygritte never coming back, we have two potential love interests left.

Val: Defiantly a strong possibility. He is attracted to her, and she does respect him as well. This does stand a chance of happening. Provided Val survives until Jon returns, of course. No one is safe from the GRRM Reaper, people.

Jeyne Poole: I think this one could happen because if Jeyne does arrive at the Wall and Jon returns from the dead, she'll see him as a protector, and probably fall madly in love with him. We have a heavily traumatised girl who has been trained as a whore by Littlefinger, married to Ramsay Bolton, was forced to pretend to be someone she is not, and then the person she thought would protect turns out to be dead, only to come back to life? Yeah, she'll see him as the hero from one of the stories she grew up hearing about, of brave heroes saving a damsal in distress from her evil husband. Of course she'll be head over heels in love with him! The only question is, what will Jon do? He thought about sending Arya to Bravoos, but once he learns it was Jeyne Poole the whole time, well, that option goes out the window. No one would take care of a steward's daughter, let alone one who has been trained as a whore. There isn't really anywhere he can send her that is safe. The Wall is going to be a battlefield once the Others attack, and there are plenty of people who would take advantage of her, or even rape her. So, he may end up taking her with him to protect her. He would feel he has a duty to her. Whether or not he does marry her is up to debate, I admit. He might do it before Ramsay dies, because Jeyne's marriage to the Bastard of Bolton is technically false, as Ramsay is supposed to be married to Arya Stark, not Jeyne Poole. If he does marry her, it would probably be out of pity and because he feels compelled to do so. This would also put him in such an awkward position once R+L=J is confirmed, as he would be unable to marry the highborn daughters of certain great houses, and these great houses would not exactly except Jeyne Poole as their queen for obvious reasons. Trust GRRM to subvert the "common girl becomes queen" trope. One potential clue for this relationship is that Jeyne is the fArya, and we all know what the final shipping was going to be.

Tell me what you think.

Sansa or Arya. I cannot discount any of them, considering original end game plan. 

Dany. Its actually a common reader mistake that North frowns on inter-family matches. Based on the World book, Stark genealogy tree starting from Torrhen Stark is full of cousins marrying cousin, and at least ONE confirmed instance of Stark Nephew marrying Stark Aunt, and thats only for last 300 years. Westerosi and North do frown on brother/sister pairings, but are cucumber cool with first cousins and aunts-nephews/uncles-nieces marrying each other.

I fear Jeyne is not long for this world.

I suspect that Elia Sand and Arianna, at least one if not both will fall for fAegon and may end up dead along with his fall.

Margaery . . . if she survives Cersei and becomes yet another widow.... I doubt that Jon would be allowed to marry a "black widow". Basically 3 times marrying and 3 young husbands dead and not by natural causes 

Jayne Poole . . . why.. . Let her be....

Val, perhaps. But I think there will be some sort of problem with her and Shireen. I don't know what, just her comments foreshadow some sort of situation. I don't know if Val tries to kill Shireen preemptively or Shireen's greyscale becomes active again and infects Val or someone and Val tries to kill her.

What about Meera Reed? 

11 minutes ago, Masha said:

Sansa or Arya. I cannot discount any of them, considering original end game plan. 

Dany. Its actually a common reader mistake that North frowns on inter-family matches. Based on the World book, Stark genealogy tree starting from Torrhen Stark is full of cousins marrying cousin, and at least ONE confirmed instance of Stark Nephew marrying Stark Aunt, and thats only for last 300 years. Westerosi and North do frown on brother/sister pairings, but are cucumber cool with first cousins and aunts-nephews/uncles-nieces marrying each other.

I fear Jeyne is not long for this world.

I suspect that Elia Sand and Arianna, at least one if not both will fall for fAegon and may end up dead along with his fall.

Margaery . . . if she survives Cersei and becomes yet another widow.... I doubt that Jon would be allowed to marry a "black widow". Basically 3 times marrying and 3 young husbands dead and not by natural causes 

Jayne Poole . . . why.. . Let her be....

Val, perhaps. But I think there will be some sort of problem with her and Shireen. I don't know what, just her comments foreshadow some sort of situation. I don't know if Val tries to kill Shireen preemptively or Shireen's greyscale becomes active again and infects Val or someone and Val tries to kill her.

What about Meera Reed? 

I discount Meera Reed because, well, she is way, way, way over beyond the wall. No way she will ever meet Jon.

If Alys Karstark widows for some reason I see her as a good candidate. I got weird vibes between those two.

As for southron women... Well, Jon is relatively dead in a region soon to be overwhelmed by winter. How will he ever get to meet Jeyne Westerling, for example? That's going too far in my opinion. The show characters can teleport, book characters don't.

Jon is a timid guy when dealing with women. The kind of guy who often get paired up with women with strong personalities. Ygritte was. Coming back to my initial idea, Alys apparently is aswell.

2 minutes ago, IceFire125 said:

His grandparents, Targaryen and Stark side are sibling/cousin effer.  So... yeah.

I'm talking about the fanbase rooting for incest, most of those marriages were arranged. the only case in recent history which it was based solely on desire was Jaehaerys II & Shaera.

1 minute ago, OuttaOldtown said:

I'm talking about the fanbase rooting for incest, most of those marriages were arranged. the only case in recent history which it was based solely on desire was Jaehaerys II & Shaera.

To be fair, we're fans of the writings of the author which pretty much numbed us into very questionable acceptance of things that we might find in our society as repulsive.

Now, as an individual, of course, I don't like these things, but we are conditioned by the author to be more than just an open mind about such things, wouldn't you agree?

So when you say fanbase, that's quite general.  I think individual fans should have their say.  It's up to you to accept or reject such opinions.

7 minutes ago, IceFire125 said:

To be fair, we're fans of the writings of the author which pretty much numbed us into very questionable acceptance of things that we might find in our society as repulsive.

Now, as an individual, of course, I don't like these things, but we are conditioned by the author to be more than just an open mind about such things, wouldn't you agree?

So when you say fanbase, that's quite general.  I think individual fans should have their say.  It's up to you to accept or reject such opinions.

Consider Jon never once shows a romantic interest in either Arya or Sansa, nor do they for him, it's pretty odd fans have surmised he will. While simultaneously frown on the practice of incest more often than not. All signs point to Val at this time..

Archived