Jon Snow's potential love interests.

TheDemonicStark

9 hours ago, Nevets said:

I would agree that the main obstacle to this pairing is that it requires Meera to have an interest in Jon, and we have seen no indication that she would.  Actually, we have seen little or no indication at all of her personal desires.  Which is why I put it in the "possible but unlikely" column.  

Considering there has been serious talk of such ridiculous options as Jeyne Poole, Margaery, and Sansa, I thought I would at least mention it as a possibility.  I give it about as much chance as Arya (which I hate but have to admit the possibility of), but much less than matches such as Dany and Val.  Somewhere above negligible, but nowhere near likely.

Dany is just as unlikely. Jeyne Poole is more likely because (a she is on her to him, (b they have met before (I assume) and (c Jon would feel a need to protect her, because he's awesome like that, and may end up being forced to marry her.

Then he finds out he is the true king of Westoroes, and suddenly is in a very awkward position.

11 hours ago, Bear Claw said:

Meera is a nurturing person. She takes care of the weak and sick.Jon is looking for a nurturing woman. She is strong and likes to tell stories. She would be an ideal candidate for Jon. 

Yes, they share things in common, tehy are both good persons with the others, brave and same age. But they need something more: chemistry to be together in a happy marriage.

4 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

I am surprised by people looking for "happily ever after endings". Not going to happen in these books.

bittersweet ending. Some people will have happiness. SOme, -->not everyone

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

bittersweet ending. Some people will have happiness. SOme, -->not everyone

I am thinking more of an open ending which do not say what will happen in the future. The threat will be defeated but we are not sure that it will lead to eternal happiness. Life will be tough as always in Westeros even after the war is over. 

17 minutes ago, khal drogon said:

I am thinking more of an open ending which do not say what will happen in the future. The threat will be defeated but we are not sure that it will lead to eternal happiness. Life will be tough as always in Westeros even after the war is over. 

I am not referring to eternal happiness, but considering the great amount of characters, at least one or two will be happy

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:47 PM, TheDemonicStark said:

Giving how many shippers there are for Jon Snow, I have been thinking about who Jon Snow could end up with by the end, as we all know he will return, and R+L=J will be confirmed. So, I've complied a list of possible love interests for him.

Sansa Stark: Unlikely. Neither has interacted with the other throughout the whole book series once. They barely even are in the same chapter together at all.

Arya Stark: Might have been the original end game pairing, but even less likely then Sansa x Jon. Jon was raised with Arya, and regards her as his little sister. They share a close brother sister relationship, and I would prefer if it doesn't blossom into romance. Seriously, family love is what they feel for one another. Arya hasn't even had her first period as well, for Christ sake's! I don't want another Ceresi x Jamie relationship, even if they are just cousins.

Daenerys Targaryen: Neither one knows the other exists. Jon has heard the rumours of dragons, and that is about it. Plus, he wouldn't be comfortable marrying his aunt. He was raised in the North, where that is frowned on.

Margaery Tyrell: She's the widow of Joffrey. Seriously, why would he marry Joffrey's widow?

Elia Sand: I had this idea because it actually seems rather symbolic. Jon marrying the niece of the woman his father left for his mother, who is also the namesake of his bride. I liked the idea for a while, but dismissed. Again, neither knows about the other. 

Jeyne Westerling: Hmm....the former Queen of the North. Not sure at all, really. She might not survive long enough, for all we know.

So, given that I have exhausted all the popular ships, and with Ygritte never coming back, we have two potential love interests left.

Val: Defiantly a strong possibility. He is attracted to her, and she does respect him as well. This does stand a chance of happening. Provided Val survives until Jon returns, of course. No one is safe from the GRRM Reaper, people.

Jeyne Poole: I think this one could happen because if Jeyne does arrive at the Wall and Jon returns from the dead, she'll see him as a protector, and probably fall madly in love with him. We have a heavily traumatised girl who has been trained as a whore by Littlefinger, married to Ramsay Bolton, was forced to pretend to be someone she is not, and then the person she thought would protect turns out to be dead, only to come back to life? Yeah, she'll see him as the hero from one of the stories she grew up hearing about, of brave heroes saving a damsal in distress from her evil husband. Of course she'll be head over heels in love with him! The only question is, what will Jon do? He thought about sending Arya to Bravoos, but once he learns it was Jeyne Poole the whole time, well, that option goes out the window. No one would take care of a steward's daughter, let alone one who has been trained as a whore. There isn't really anywhere he can send her that is safe. The Wall is going to be a battlefield once the Others attack, and there are plenty of people who would take advantage of her, or even rape her. So, he may end up taking her with him to protect her. He would feel he has a duty to her. Whether or not he does marry her is up to debate, I admit. He might do it before Ramsay dies, because Jeyne's marriage to the Bastard of Bolton is technically false, as Ramsay is supposed to be married to Arya Stark, not Jeyne Poole. If he does marry her, it would probably be out of pity and because he feels compelled to do so. This would also put him in such an awkward position once R+L=J is confirmed, as he would be unable to marry the highborn daughters of certain great houses, and these great houses would not exactly except Jeyne Poole as their queen for obvious reasons. Trust GRRM to subvert the "common girl becomes queen" trope. One potential clue for this relationship is that Jeyne is the fArya, and we all know what the final shipping was going to be.

Tell me what you think.

Melisandre will be Jon's true love.

• 8 months later...

Definitely not happening: Jeyne Poole, Jeyne Westerling, Sand Snakes, Sansa Stark, Alys Karstark, Wylla Manderly

Might or will happen: Arya, Val, Dany

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What I personally Like: Arya

What I'm O.K/neutral towards: Val

What i Realllyyyyyyyyy don't want to see happening: Dany, Sansa 

Only possibilities I see are Val and/or Dany.

Dany: She's the hero in the east, he's the hero in the North. They're 2/3 of top three, both young, attractive. The "sweet-scented" rose for the "bride of fire" hints at it, too, from HotU. This is SOOOOOOO predictable, however, that I don't see the novel ending with that. I think Dany will die at the end, anyway (gloriously and in battle, of course).

Val: I don't see Jon (or Dany) on the IT at the end. If he survives, Jon could, however, turn into a wildling leader. He likes and respects them, and they seem to like him. His arc as lc is tied to making them a part of the North. A wildling wife/partner would make a lot of sense given that.

Text seems to be pointing Jon towards Val.

Arya/Sansa won't happen because of how they were raised as siblings. Plus, Sansa isn't Jon's type (he seems to be attracted to warrior-type women)

Daenerys...maybe? though i think it's too obvious and doesn't seem to be much his type either. 

I can't seem GRRM introducing a new love interest either. So either Val or nobody. 

• 1 month later...

It never stops to amuse me, how people cling to judging things happening in a fictional society rooted in fictional morality based on our current social standards. What's the point of reading fiction then?

Kissing cousins, aunt/nephew - currently gross, historically speaking quite common in certain social classes, in the worldbuilding of ASoIaf perfectly normal if not the most common option, because it eliminates the possibility of a strategical union with other House. So yep, from how I see it, it's a valid possibility.

Marriage preceded by romantic or sexual interest in the spouse - currently obvious order of things. In the Westeros? - not so much. So I wouldn't exclude any candidate based on the fact that Jon never interacted with her.

In essence, those arguments are invalid as far as the rules of this fictional world are concerned. Your sensibilities may be offended, and your romantic notions trashed, but that's it. And GRRM rarely concerns himself with offending sensibilities of his readers, so there you go ;) 

From the 'originality of the plot' viewpoint, Jon/Dany is the 'too obvious to be used' option. There may be betrothal, but I think at least one of them will bite it before the story is done. For the sake of further argument, I assume Jon will survive, inherit the throne (because he isn't seeking power, so GRRM will saddle him with it and make him miserable forever - because being a king would make Jon miserable, that's obvious) and he would need a politically correct wife to appease his people, not a love-interest to make him happy. From that viewpoint:

1. nobody from the North is suitable because Jon already has too many ties with it - you may breathe easy all you incest-squickers, alternatively, you may weep, all you, who prefer Jane Poole, Alys Karstark, Meera Reed and the like,

2. Val may be the exception to the above no-northern-girl rule because she's more of a foreign princess; if the truce with Wildings was to be permanent, it would make some sense,

3. girl from the south would be the obvious choice; Dornish lady would make nice in-universe parallels (which GRRM likes) and certain political sense since marriage with a Martell could lend Jon some of the very needed social status upgrade (he may be the trueborn son of Targaryen heir, but for all his life he was known as Ned's bastard and that would cling to him even after all his heroic deeds and reveal of his parentage; North may judge him based on his merit, but southern nobles will certainly feel better if at least their Queen comes from a proper noble family by southern standards) - so I would bet on Arianne Martell, because she had plans to marry one son of RT, she would switch to the other one in a blink of an eye,

4. possibly another heiress from below the Neck, but I cannot think of one that comes from the appropriate family, which means pretty much one of major Houses - a king would not marry a girl from a lesser family. Arryns are dead, Baratheons are dead, Lannisters will be dead (and sadly, Tyrion wouldn't make the acceptable bride - pity, that's my favorite pairing ever and I don't even like crack pairings), Tully's are mostly dead and Tyrells would be as well. And Asha Greyjoy would sail into the sunset in a submarine she would invent for this occasion, if somebody tried to marry her off to a whiny princeling. So there you go - Arianne Martell is the only suitable marriage prospect in the entire kingdom.

And if Jon is alive and yet not a king, I think he wouldn't take a wife. He would take the black once again and freeze his ass off in the North and had endless moral dilemmas about Ygritte and his honor. The end.

Archived