The View from Across the Narrow Sea

Lord Vance II

This is another one of those threads with a question that has no real answer, but what do you guys think the Free Cities think of everything that's happening in Westeros?

We saw the mummers show in the show, and we know they happen in the books too, but surely the events of the past few years in Westeros are more than an amusement to those in power. 

I don't remember what the leaders of the free cities are called.....I remember Lys, Tyrosh and Myr had a Triarchy for a while, but I don't think they do now. But whoever the leaders are, what outcome are they hoping for? Who do they support? Do they prefer a strong central Westeros, (which would make a stronger trade partner but stronger and potentially dangerous) or do they want to see a weak ruler they could possibly exploit?

Is what's good for Pentos not good for Lys? (not really them specifically, but do they have a common hope)

Would the Others invasion be enough to rouse the Free Cities to help  (mainly Bravos)?

The Free Cities probably know more about he reality of Danerys Targaryan better than Westeros (especially Volantis), what do they think of the possibility of Westeros being ruled by Dragon Lords again? I'd assume they aren't fans. 

We know the Iron Bank just wants someone to pay them back, but I don't think we know any other opinion from across the Narrow Sea

I've always thought of it like Europeans watching the clusterf*ck wrapped in a dumpster fire that us Americans call a presidential election...amusing, but with the terrible realization this could impact them. 

I'm not expecting point-by-point answers, though I know some of you will. 

Thoughts?

On 26/07/2016 at 4:02 PM, Lord Vance II said:

I've always thought of it like Europeans watching the clusterf*ck wrapped in a dumpster fire that us Americans call a presidential election...amusing, but with the terrible realization this could impact them. 

With Cersei in the role of Trump. Everyone thinking "Are you guys fucking mental?; not her, please anyone but her." At least the Westrosi can make the legitimate argument they never voted for Cersei. You guys won't have that excuse ;-)

19 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I opened this thread thinking that it was a thread about how Westeros would look like from Essos or vice versa.

Is it so narrow that you can see the other side? Not sure, but maybe in some places on a good day.

Lol Me too  .and connected it to dany always looking at west for house with red door..

I imagine most of the Essosi 'smallfolk' couldn't care less.

The merchants and sailors who have dealings in Westeros probably keep abrest of the news, but as long as they continue to get paid I doubt they care who's on the Iron Throne.

I don't remember what the leaders of the free cities are called.....I remember Lys, Tyrosh and Myr had a Triarchy for a while, but I don't think they do now. But whoever the leaders are, what outcome are they hoping for? Who do they support? Do they prefer a strong central Westeros, (which would make a stronger trade partner but stronger and potentially dangerous) or do they want to see a weak ruler they could possibly exploit?

The cities that trade with Westeros probably want a united continent that can afford mutually beneficial trade. The cities further away (Lorath, Norvos, Qohor etc) probably don't care either way. I doubt any of the cities (except debatably Braavos) actually wants a weak and divided Westeros that could cause instability to spill across the Narrow Sea.

Would the Others invasion be enough to rouse the Free Cities to help  (mainly Bravos)?

Braavos? Maybe, it would depend on how they got the news, if they believed it, and if they thought their interests were sufficiently threatened.

I would laugh, but my own country's recent disastrous vote has taught me that crazy-ass populism can actually triumph if you're not careful, so make sure you get out there and vote!

I'm not expecting point-by-point answers, though I know some of you will. 

Heh, yeah, sorry about that.

20 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

I opened this thread thinking that it was a thread about how Westeros would look like from Essos or vice versa.

Is it so narrow that you can see the other side? Not sure, but maybe in some places on a good day.

Me too. I even had a half-baked "Stannis can see Russia from his house" joke ready and everything. 

Mercy, Winds provides some insight. 

ETA

The Three Daughters, of course aided the greens in the Dance of the Dragons. As our saga developed we learned of a trade war between Lys and Tyrosh. Myr was about to join Tyrosh, but curiously, the Archon of Tyrosh, the brother of the man who had been noted at the betrothal of Daenerys to Drogo, which had been brokered by Illyrio, offered terms to Lys to end the war. This appeared to be because the Golden Company, shockingly, had just broken its contract to fight for Myr. Could Illyrio be brokering a new alliance of the Three Daughters?

I think the people of Essos would hear very little about the events in Westeros and what they do hear is mostly just second hand brushstrokes of major events. Also what we read in the books and what we know is happening is not what these characters necessarily know and they believe a rumors and painted lies. 

I think people will care more about Westeros once Dany stirs up shit on the entire continent and then leaves to go to Westeros, you better believe Their will be World War Planetos. 

13 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

The cities that trade with Westeros probably want a united continent that can afford mutually beneficial trade. The cities further away (Lorath, Norvos, Qohor etc) probably don't care either way. I doubt any of the cities (except debatably Braavos) actually wants a weak and divided Westeros that could cause instability to spill across the Narrow Sea.

This. There seems to be a concerted effort from the east to deal with Westeros as one singular entity. At first I called it the "Grand Lyseni Conspiracy," but it might as well be the "Grand Essosi conspiracy," because Tyrosh also plays a significant role. There are several periods where forces from the east meddle in Westerosi politics to unify the continent.

The first is Aegon's conquest itself.  The Targaryens supported Pentos and Tyrosh against Volantis prior to Aegon conquering Westeros. It was in Tyroshi interest to bolster their defense with an alliance with Westerosis. The Westerosi probably didn't really care, so they sent Dragonstone to conquer it by force.

The second is during the reign of Aegon III and Viserys II, when Prince Viserys married Larra Rogare, the daughter of Lysandro Rogare. The Rogare family bank was richer than that of Braavos was basically a dictator in Lys, styling himself Magister for Life. Furthermore, his brother Drazenko was Prince Consort to the ruler of Dorne, Princes Aliandra Martell.  It seems to me that the Rogares really wanted Dorne to unite with the rest of Westeros. This meddling was likely one of the causes of the Blackfyre rebellion, as it seems that many people didn't accept the Dornish union.

Finally, there's the current era where nobility such as Magister Illyrio and others from Lys, Tyrosh, Myr and Pentos seem to be quite distressed by the events going on in Westeros.  

Several ominous characters come from Lys: Varys, Saladhor Saan, Tregar Ormollen, and Aerion Targaryen went there in exile. Tyrosh provided brides for both Valarr and Daeron Targaryen as well as Daemon Blackfyre, whose rebellion the most likely sponsored.

Essos is most likely watching Westeros very closely.

I would expect beyond a certain organization being owed money and a group of cities being sacked by a certain Westerosi noble, the majority of Essos doesn't care one lick about Westeros and have their own political squabbles and concerns.

As an American currently living in Europe, I have had to clarify the mechanics of the American system to a number of people I have talked to. They generally had an idea of who was involved and that it was a mess, but were not invested enough to know the details, including sometimes who was associated with what party.

The communication between Westeros and Essos is far worse than our standards today, so it can be expected that the knowledge of most people in Essos about the situation in Westeros should be even more vague.

It should be noted though that Illyrio seems to have a pretty good grasp on things going on in Westeros. The Iron Bank is pretty aware as well. Those who want to can find out.

Archived