Exactly how did Euron kill Balon?

Valens

It is never explicitly stated, is it? It's only said Balon was swept by a tide or a wind (sorry, haven't read that book in a while, my memory is blurred) and he plummeted to his demise. But just HOW did Euron achieve that? Can he control the storms now? Weird...or was he there, like in the show, and simply threw Balon off the bridge?

Unconfirmed, but from the Ghost of High Heart: "I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings"

So maybe he hired a Faceless Man to push Balon off the bridge

Read ASOS Arya IV where the "Ghost of High Heart" tells what she has seen in her dreams

The old gods stir and will not let me sleep. I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag, aye. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks, but when her eyes did open, oh, I woke from terror. All this I dreamt, and more.

Many, including myself, take this to mean that Euron hired the FM to assassinate Balon (man without a face with a drowned crow on his shoulder).

Euron in AFFC says that he threw a dragon egg into the sea. Many theorize that he really used the egg to pay for the assassination, as the price is set based on the means of the client and the prominence of the target.

@Tucu beat me to it, darn you.:tantrum:

3 minutes ago, Light a wight tonight said:

The "drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings" is thought provoking. What could that actually mean? The drowned and seaweed  parts might point to Aeron rather than Euron. But crow? 

Comes from Euron's nickname (Crow's eye), his coat of arms(two crows holding a crown over a red and black eye)  and his possible past as a greenseer candidate.

If we want to get tin foily, we can blame it on Melissandre's blood sacrifice, where she commands the death of Balon, Robb, and Joffrey. Halfway through SoS, a continent-size storm comes from the west, during which time all three of the named are murdered. Not coincidentally, Euron is often referred to as The Storm (as well as the crow's eye).

"I once held a dragons egg in this hand, brother. This Myrish wizard swore he could hatch it if I gave him a year and all the gold that he required. When I grew bored with his excuses, I slew him. As he watched his entrails sliding through his fingers he said, 'But it has not been a year.'"He laughed.

"Show me this dragons egg."

"I threw it in the sea during one of my dark moods." Euron gave a shrug.

Victarion II, Feast

It seems many of us believe that Euron did not throw the dragon's egg into the sea but sacrificed it to Him of Many Faces and prayed for a Faceless Man to give the gift to Balon. I have no doubt that Euron prayed for a Faceless Man to give the gift to his brother and that his prayer was answered. But I don't believe that he needed to sacrifice a dragon's egg. Presumably, the riches he accumulated while reaving around the known and unknown world would have left him with sufficient wealth to have his prayer answered without the dragon's egg. But maybe, he did not rely on a Faceless Man...

On 9/27/2013 at 5:45 PM, bemused said:

If the captain of the Myraham's story is true..it was a violent storm from the west ( the drection Euron was coming from ) That blew the whole bridge apart ... and if the FM was waiting on the bridge , he likely wouldn't have survived either.

Notice that the story came from the captain of the Myraham...

The Crow's Eye sipped from his silver cup. "I once held a dragon's egg in this hand, brother. This Myrish wizard swore he could hatch it if I gave him a year and all the gold that he required. When I grew bored with his excuses, I slew him. As he watched his entrails sliding through his fingers he said, But it has not been a year.'" He laughed.

Victarion II, Feast

Perhaps one or more of Euron's creatures had worked elemental sorcery to kill Balon. The woods witch's prophecy is still fulfilled and Euron either really did toss the egg into the sea or he still has it. Or maybe, just maybe, there is a fourth dragon out there growing and waiting for Euron to fetch him...

43 minutes ago, cgrav said:

If we want to get tin foily, we can blame it on Melissandre's blood sacrifice, where she commands the death of Balon, Robb, and Joffrey. Halfway through SoS, a continent-size storm comes from the west, during which time all three of the named are murdered. Not coincidentally, Euron is often referred to as The Storm (as well as the crow's eye).

Yes that does seem rather easy to poke holes in it.

Can you find me a few places where he is referred to as "The Storm"? I don't remember that.

19 minutes ago, Raisin(g) Bran 2 Greenseer said:

Yes that does seem rather easy to poke holes in it.

Can you find me a few places where he is referred to as "The Storm"? I don't remember that.

"Often" may have been an overstatement, but Aeron refers to Euron as a "storm" in the Prophet chapter.

interestingly, though, while I was checking on that, I found a paragraph where Samwell is sailing to Oldtown and endures three storms (or one storm with lulls). This happen only weeks after Joff's death, but a few months after Balon's, so it's hard to say if it's the same storm that hit Pyke. But I think that's what we're meant to believe.

1 hour ago, cgrav said:

"Often" may have been an overstatement, but Aeron refers to Euron as a "storm" in the Prophet chapter.

interestingly, though, while I was checking on that, I found a paragraph where Samwell is sailing to Oldtown and endures three storms (or one storm with lulls). This happen only weeks after Joff's death, but a few months after Balon's, so it's hard to say if it's the same storm that hit Pyke. But I think that's what we're meant to believe.

I doubt that, from ACOK through ADWD we are told that fall/autumn is a stormy season.

I'm skeptical of coincidences in literature, especially in a story with a much detail as this. Three storms, three dead kings... Or one storm for the one "storm" who arrived in Pyke. It's just one of those details that provides a connection between geographically distant events, even if the causality is intentionally ambiguous.

The info from the foresaken Aeron chapter from winds of winter is actually part of Euron greyjoys wiki now so its not exactly a secret to the world, but all the same i wont quote anything spoilery from the chapter but you can basically take the ghost of high heart dream, then go read that chapter, and then you can form a pretty safe conclusion from the two pieces of information.

Archived