US Elections - From Russia with Love

The Anti-Targ

Been solid and good stuff, but yeah, no Barrack/Michelle/Joe/Bill level speeches.

They did the same thing for Kaine last night actually and moved him from after Obama to before Obama. Cause no one wants to have to follow that act.

I liked Chelsea's speech, but I also had a weakness for dinosaurs growing up. So I may be biased. 

Clinton's speech was okay. Nothing great, but most nomination acceptance speeches aren't that special; even Obama's two are definitely at the lower end of what he's done. Despite the rough edges in delivery and content though, I think it served its purpose as a capstone to the convention: reinforcing that, even if you don't like her policies, its easy to picture Clinton keeping the ship of state afloat as President; whereas Trump cannot be.

I'm impressed by the convention as a whole, but we'll see what the polls say in a few days. If this doesn't give a solid lead, nothing will.

I thought she gave a pretty good speech. I do like when she attacked Trump and to be more specific I loved when she listed the products he makes and what countries he makes it and named states that he doesn't make them in. I also loved "Donald Trump says he wants to make America great again, he could start by making his products in America again." I also liked how she pointed out that Trump is a hyper sensitive hot head.

Also, Pence said if Trump wins Roe v Wade will be overturned. All the progress that has been made will be overturned and set this country back. Add to that the fact they will have the power to decide who gets the supreme court justice nominations, and we will be fighting to get back to where we were and that will be considered progress at that point. 
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/roe-v-wade-will-be-overturned-if-trump-wins-pence-says/ar-BBv08xz

I thought "I believe in science" was the line of the night, before "A person you can bait with a tweet should not be trusted with nuclear weapons."

Pretty good speech. I thought it was a good move to attack Trump so directly and authoritatively. Bait him into a response, since he's already said he wanted to hit some of the DNC speakers attacking him, including one "very little guy" whose name he couldn't actually remember.

I kept wondering how it will play with the working class voters she was trying to woo.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

But I kept wondering how it will play with the working class voters she was trying to woo.

If she can get some working class whites, awesome, but I think she was more explicitly trying to woo middle class suburban Republicans. Especially the ones that are Republican entirely due to conservative economic views and don't care about the social stuff. 

The Clinton campaign is clearly betting that those people may like tax cuts and deregulation, but not enough to vote for Trump. 

30 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I thought "I believe in science" was the line of the night, before "A person you can bait with a tweet should not be trusted with nuclear weapons."

Pretty good speech. I thought it was a good move to attack Trump so directly and authoritatively. Bait him into a response, since he's already said he wanted to hit some of the DNC speakers attacking him, including one "very little guy" whose name he couldn't actually remember.

I kept wondering how it will play with the working class voters she was trying to woo.

Yeah, loved that, until I remembered that this is 2016 and that is not a given, and I became depressed again 

but seriously, great messaging, I'm happy with that

Yahoo mail sent me 5 or so separate notifications tonight to my phone that looked like I had mail but that actually were some variation 'Clinton makes history'  or 'Clinton excoriates Trump'.  I've been a yahoo customer for about 15 years or so, never remember them being so overtly biased politically, and especially not pushing so directly. 

Trump is far from a perfect candidate, but I think everyone can agree that if he is President, at least the media will try to hold him accountable.  Way more checks and balances than we'd every see with Clinton in office.

56 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Yahoo mail sent me 5 or so separate notifications tonight to my phone that looked like I had mail but that actually were some variation 'Clinton makes history'  or 'Clinton excoriates Trump'.  I've been a yahoo customer for about 15 years or so, never remember them being so overtly biased politically, and especially not pushing so directly. 

Trump is far from a perfect candidate, but I think everyone can agree that if he is President, at least the media will try to hold him accountable.  Way more checks and balances than we'd every see with Clinton in office.

Huh?  I, for some reason, still have Yahoo mail and not Gmail, and Yahoo sent me nothing about either Clinton or Trump any time during the last 2 weeks.  I checked my spam folder as well, though I doubt anything directly from my mail provider would go there.  Are you sure you did not accidentally give your email to another party who is spamming you?

The media as a whole absolutely does NOT hold Trump accountable, in my opinion.  They have a need for a horse race and so they have created a false equivalence.  They're not suggesting the candidates are the same, which would be impossible to do, but implicitly through coverage, they're implying both are making points equally worth listening to.  Which in my opinion is far from true.  One is a politician with good and bad points and the other is a Putin-style bully stuck in a democracy.

The media loves a good story.  They are selling entertainment.  Trump provides them with that, love or hate him, and they go along.  You probably think they would eat it up if Clinton suggested it would be great if Russian Hackers released private emails about Trump that made him look bad.  I think they would eviscerate her for saying something like that.  And rightly so, because to say something like that, even in jest (ha ha so funny), in the midst of an election would be considered crapping the bed for anyone other than Trump.

52 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

lolwhat? What parallel universe did you cross over from?

The media has consistently given Trump a pass because he brings the ratings.

Meanwhile their coverage of Clinton has been, at the very least, majority negative.

1 hour ago, mcbigski said:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait, are you serious?

3 hours ago, Harakiri said:

Also, Pence said if Trump wins Roe v Wade will be overturned. All the progress that has been made will be overturned and set this country back. Add to that the fact they will have the power to decide who gets the supreme court justice nominations, and we will be fighting to get back to where we were and that will be considered progress at that point. 
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/roe-v-wade-will-be-overturned-if-trump-wins-pence-says/ar-BBv08xz

Nope, that can't be. I was assured last thread that Trump and Pence would never try something so far-reaching with the Supreme Court. 

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait, are you serious?

Yeah, the reality is they'll tell us what a folksy blue collar billionaire he is and a regular New York guy. The type you'd want to have a beer with. And this will be even more pronounced than it was with Bush, because they'll have the added incentive of fear, since Trump is openly boasting how he'll use the state against the media.

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I've even seen Trump supporters admit that the media has pretty much given up trying to hold him accountable. Most of them credit that to Trump's strategy of exhausting outrage, but still...you're the first person I've seen in a while who thinks the media's relationship with the Trump is anything but (admittedly often grudgeingly) riding the train of constant 'moments', most of which individually would have killed other campaigns. I think many of them don't 'like' him, but he's good for the business they're in.

Archived