Football: For Now We Are All Champions!

MercenaryChef

the other thread was over the limit. so here we go with more!

some personal football stuff:

newcastle 'legend?' steven taylor is heading to my hometown and original club portland timbers. i am sad. it would be cool to still live there and have a player i have long had a heated relationship with come to my club would be sweet. instead i now follow (and in fact love) dc. we don't attract players. we sell them. just last week we sent our top scorer the last three seasons to vancouver for only money. money is right and good, but even a large pile of it cannot score goals or pick out a pass.

europe: please come and get your teams. we don't want them here. as much as i enjoyed five years ago yesterday watching newcastle on tour in the states this 'international champions cup' thing is awful to watch. you have top squads from all over europe simply sucking against one another. the play is horrid. i get it is preseason, but this is just sad. 

did a bit of gambling with a proxy in england recently. i have 30 pounds on a sunderland relegation, 50 on the toon winning the championship and 20 on zlatan being top scorer. man i am glad i don't actually live in england. i would gamble on EVERYTHING. 

come on, football!

oh, and someone come and buy sissoko!

I wouldn't bother watching ICC games either.  As a kid, I was thrilled to see whatever preseason games were available in Ireland, but now I'm more skeptical of the makeshift line-ups, sluggish pace and uncompetitive tone, plus the crowd experience in the US is pretty poor: it feels like novelty tourists rather than real fans who know the chants and songs. 

This season I've actually watched some preseason games. Was interested in how the team would look with Koeman in charge. 

We seem to be pressing more, and higher up the pitch. Not something we're really good at yet, so there's a bit of room to be found between our midfield and defence. Hope that gets sorted, though some of it may be down to us not really playing experienced CBs much so far (Holgate and Galloway have gotten most game time, Jags is injured and Stones is seemingly moving away). 

In attack, we try to move the ball quicker up the field, we move it less back to our keeper, and we look for the space behind the defence more often. Promising so far, will have to see how it works when we have actual strikers to aim for. Deulofeu have been playing that role so far.

All in all, with Martinez out and Koeman in, and Steve Walsh coming in as DoF, I'm cautiously optimistic. Mostly about next season, though. 

15 hours ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Jürgen Klopp sent Mamadou Sakho home for a 'lack of respect'

WTF ?? Great just what we need before the new season FFS <_<

I wouldn't blow this out of proportion. Sakho showed up late on a few occasions. That's one of the things that German coaches do not really appreciate in general. I have no idea whether Rodgers was more lenient. Klopp has a point though, it's not particularly respectful on Sakho's part to let his teammates wait for him. If Sakho shows up late for trainings sessions Klopp will drop him from the starting XI. Firmino learnt that lesson in Germany, when he was dropped on one occasion from the starting XI despite being in great form. 

AFAIK Sakho is recovering from an injury and not training with the team anyway, so it will not really affect Sakho's training schedule and sending him home was just a disciplinary action and not a sign that Klopp will force him out of the club.

1 hour ago, MercurialCannibal said:

Fucking hell good or fucking hell bad?

How about a sissoko to go with him? 

Definitely good. But only if it's not at the expense of a striker.

Can't see Wenger going for Sissoko at £35m.

West Ham lose 2-1 away to Domzale to jeopardize advancement to the next qualifying round of the EL.  Not a surprise to me, really.  We looked too casual right from the start, and we were out worked and out played by a smaller but more motivated side.  

It seems like Bilic's plan is to make Antonio play right back even though he's quite clearly not very good at defending.  It's going to be a very long season if we don't buy some actual fullbacks. 

Liverpool lost 1-0 to Chelsea in what sounded like a very low quality disjointed training game in punishing heat.  But Fabregas did get a straight red for a horror tackle and Cahill could have got one too.  Typical dirty Chelsea, even in a preseason warmup. 

5 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

But Fabregas did get a straight red for a horror tackle and Cahill could have got one too.  Typical dirty Chelsea, even in a preseason warmup. 

Yeah,saw that in the highlights.Scumbag asshole deserves to be a Chelsea player.I'm just happy that Ragnar Lothbrok Klavan wasn't injured seriously.

9 hours ago, StefCurry said:

Mourinho will sell number 31. Bastian Schweinsteiger was training with the reserve , he had been sent there by Jose.

Good. As much of a legend as he's been in his career, he's proved to be a very poor signing for us, and we certainly don't need both him and Carrick.

Arsenal supposedly getting a bit more serious about Lacazette. If they get him and Mahrez Arsenal have had a great window.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Good. As much of a legend as he's been in his career, he's proved to be a very poor signing for us, and we certainly don't need both him and Carrick.

Arsenal supposedly getting a bit more serious about Lacazette. If they get him and Mahrez Arsenal have had a great window.

Aaah, sorry to rain on the internet parade, but that will be unlikely as Ivan Gazidis has helpfully announced that we will only compete with Leicester City, who are the current Premier League Champions,  in signing new talent, and accordingly, we are scouring League Tres for unearthed talent.

9 minutes ago, SerTarod said:

Aaah, sorry to rain on the internet parade, but that will be unlikely as Ivan Gazidis has helpfully announced that we will only compete with Leicester City, who are the current Premier League Champions,  in signing new talent, and accordingly, we are scouring League Tres for unearthed talent.

Having looked up what he said, it's been blown well out of proportion by disgruntled fans. He says that with all the money coming in to the whole Premier League now it's not going to be as easy for the big clubs to just financially outmuscle the small ones, and that therefore teams who can do what Leicester did and scout out talent from unexpected places will have an advantage. Which is pretty sensible. At no stage did he say they don't intend to spend big money, and he wasn't even really talking about this summer as much as how he sees long term trends going.

Shock horror that it's being blown up out of proportion. AFC fans are clowns. 

*Slightly* worried that Xhaka is not mobile enough to do the DM job by his lonesome, but we'll see how he gets on. 

54 minutes ago, Raja said:

Shock horror that it's being blown up out of proportion. AFC fans are clowns. 

*Slightly* worried that Xhaka is not mobile enough to do the DM job by his lonesome, but we'll see how he gets on. 

Thing is, Xhaka isn't really a DM. He's a DLP and a very good one. He'd play the Cazorla role. He still needs a DM like Coquelin next to him or someone more mobile like Elneny to keep the ball moving. I don't love the idea of him and Ramsey as a pairing. 

Wenger said today he's looking for experienced attacking options so we'll see. I agree with polish that if we can get Lacazette and Mahrez, it'd be a good window and if we get Mustafi on top of that, it'd be a great window when adding in Xhaka. Thing is, I bet none of those come to fruition. I have so little faith in our ability to get deals done in this environment. Yesterday was a prime example, even if it's just a friendly, of how poor Walcott is and having him as your #1 or 2 striking option is asking to be shit.

44 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Thing is, Xhaka isn't really a DM. He's a DLP and a very good one. He'd play the Cazorla role. it.

Maybe a Xhaka  - Coquelin/ Elneny combination would work, but to be honest, I'd rather see us start with Cazorla - Xhaka, then again that doesn't really work either. I think against Liverpool, we will probably play Xhaka - Coquelin and Cazorla in front of them in Ozil's position. The front three will probably be Iwobi - Walcott - Ox. 

I'm not sure how our midfield works with when Ramsey and Ozil come back into the side. I'm not convinced that Xhaka can play the offensive part of Cazorla's role. 

I haven't seen enough of Lacazette, I've got no idea if that would be a good transfer. 

Edit: We should bid for Ayoze Perez.

Archived