Football: For Now We Are All Champions!

MercenaryChef

18 minutes ago, Raja said:

Maybe a Xhaka  - Coquelin/ Elneny combination would work, but to be honest, I'd rather see us start with Cazorla - Xhaka, then again that doesn't really work either. I think against Liverpool, we will probably play Xhaka - Coquelin and Cazorla in front of them in Ozil's position. The front three will probably be Iwobi - Walcott - Ox. 

I'm not sure how our midfield works with when Ramsey and Ozil come back into the side. I'm not convinced that Xhaka can play the offensive part of Cazorla's role. 

I haven't seen enough of Lacazette, I've got no idea if that would be a good transfer. 

I'm entirely convinced Xhaka can play Cazorla's role. His best ability is transitioning from defense to attack quickly, whether it's through a line breaking pass or a long ball. He attempts something like 7-8 of them a game which is a lot. He's pretty good defensively too but he's not Coquelin or a true DM. Against most teams, he'd be fine playing that role alone but against the top squads, he should have another player who understands positioning with him.

I haven't seen enough of Lacazette either but I read this article and it seems promising enough. He's not a world beater but he scores goals on a team that doesn't have our attacking talent so maybe he'd be better with us. Who knows. At this point, I don't care. I just want someone so Walcott can be sold and Giroud isn't relied on solely for 40 games.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

How long is the offseason for the major soccer leagues? it seems like it starts up again as soon as it finishes. 

Season ends in mid May then new season starts in mid August. Though during the summer, there are generally international tournaments.

So in addition to Chelsea's dirty fouls, Grujic and Karius both got injured in accidental collisions too.  Grujic went to hospital with a concussion and Karius is out for two months with a broken hand.  Mignolet's voodoo doll worked. 

Why have Everton not done much with transfers yet?  New billionaire owner, new capable manager -- I expected more. 

3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Why have Everton not done much with transfers yet?  New billionaire owner, new capable manager -- I expected more. 

There have been lots of rumours about Witsel - which would be a big statement from them. If they can sign Witsel and hang onto Lukaku and Stones then I reckon Everton would think they've had a solid, if unambitious transfer window.

It seems our cunning plan (which is sort of cunning, I'd say) was:

1) Get manager

2) Get DoF

then 3) make signings. 

Witsel has been rumored for a month. Believe we want him, but - seemingly - not at any price (or, perhaps more likely, he's holding out for someone bigger).

Witsel would be a good signing with Barry in decline and McCarthy surprisingly off form last year, but wouldn't you also need a starting GK, CB, winger/wide forward and cover at FB?  There's plenty to work on there to complement the strengths in that squad.  I was expecting Everton to rebound strongly this year but Koeman's new signings will have missed all of preseason. 

That's why I'm cautiously optimistic ... about where we'll be in a years time.

We do need a GK. No question, atm we've got two backups.

If Stones go, as expected, we'll need a CB. Perhaps we'll need two, but perhaps we can trust Galloway/Holgate/Pennington to be a fourth choice.. I think I'd go for that, in a Wengeresqe move, as Galloway at least showed promise last season. Would be a vote of very little confidence if he suddenly was reduced to fifth choice. 

I would like a RB. Oviedo and Garbutt cover the LB slot well enough, I think, but cover at RB is atm youngsters. Won't do, as Coleman has had some time injured every season the last three years. Someone who could be competition would be nice, but they would likely be pricey, and I don't think that's the position we need to prioritize spending lots of money.

In attack, I'd like a revamp. Perhaps Barkley's stagnation - or regression - can be attributed to the dysfunctional team, but a playmaker would be nice. So would a real back up striker. This is also where we've got the most deadwood, I think, as Kone, Niasse and McGeady all contribute f*ck all, and should be sent packing. Lennon can still do a job, but I don't think he'll be a starter - it wouldn't be a good sign anyway. Mirallas and Deulofeu need to step up, and we need to keep Lukaku. If he goes, we miss everything..

Witsel would be nice, but we seem to be buying Gueye from Villa, and we've got DCMs in abundance.. Barry (ageing), McCarthy (not at his best last year), Cleverly (more box-to-box, really - tidy, but nonspectacular), Besic, Gibson (uninjured for a lengthy time, well, for him anyway), plus youngster Tom Davies, who looked promising last year and in pre-season. We don't need this many, but who's going and who's coming I don't know.

I expect us to start slowly this season. The manager change, DoF incoming, major tournament and general slow work has led to late business, and my hopes for the season adjust themselves accordingly. I am, however, pleased that there seems to be some sort of plan long term.

The fact that you've got Koeman makes it all just that much better. He surely wouldn't have left Southampton for an incrementally bigger move unless he had pretty good assurances that Everton is going places.

Origi looked very good against Milan. He added what was sorely missing against Chelsea: end product. He looks strong, fast and fit - knock on wood. On current form, he has to get the nod ahead of Sturridge, as Klopp seems disinclined to play them together.

Ojo is also looking very promising, and could have a Sterling-esque breakout season.

We have a smaller squad under Klopp, but the quality of the second string is so much better that it's not immediately clear who's a starter and who's a sub/backup/cup player. Loads of healthy competition everywhere on the pitch, perhaps bar the side backs. 

Real shame that Karius was injured, but having Mignolet as a backup is hella better than having Bogdan.

I know it's preseason, but we look very cohesive and well-drilled. The goal we conceded against Chelsea was from a set piece, and while that is annoying, we looked in control for most of the match. We're also playing a high caliber of opponent, and the games definitely feel like more than friendlies. I'm cautiously hoping for a season similar to 13/14, where we take advantage of not playing European midweek football every other week.

1 hour ago, Mmerek Hamšzulíe said:

Origi looked very good against Milan. He added what was sorely missing against Chelsea: end product. He looks strong, fast and fit - knock on wood. On current form, he has to get the nod ahead of Sturridge, as Klopp seems disinclined to play them together.

Ojo is also looking very promising, and could have a Sterling-esque breakout season.

Origi really has been a beast in 2016. It will be a good competition between him and Sturridge for the starting spot with Ings also being a really nice option. Firmino plays better with a striker ahead of him so I hope he's not used as a false 9 much. 

Not sure about Sterling-esque breakout for Ojo but he does kinda make Markovic useless. Wouldn't mind if Markovic was sold. Ojo is a good backup to Mane who has been our best player this pre-season imo. 

Great to see Origi starting back strong.  And Ojo shows why we were willing to sell Ibe.  I was also impressed in earlier games by Ejaria as a prospect.  Sturridge was rusty against Chelsea but at least seems to be fit for for several months without interruption. 

Our biggest gap at the moment is CB with Matip, Gomez and Sakho all missing a few weeks with injuries.  Plus cover for FBs. 

I don't mind that we're not signing marquee names.  I'd like to see if Klopp can build a team and style like he did at Dortmund. 

41 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Pretty sure Mahrez is happening. Ranieri's looking ever more desperate, and Arsene's got that twinkle in his eye.

He told a journalist that he watching Leicester to see them play for two reasons: we play them Aug 21st and for a second reason that he would let them guess. This all looks positive but I've seen this shit before not pan out so won't get excited until it's announced.

Also saw that the dude from Arsenal TV spoke at length with Gazidis and he was assured they are working hard on a striker and defender. It surprises me a little we're still going after Mahrez given he's neither but we'll see.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

He told a journalist that he watching Leicester to see them play for two reasons: we play them Aug 21st and for a second reason that he would let them guess. This all looks positive but I've seen this shit before not pan out so won't get excited until it's announced.

Also saw that the dude from Arsenal TV spoke at length with Gazidis and he was assured they are working hard on a striker and defender. It surprises me a little we're still going after Mahrez given he's neither but we'll see.

Yes, I think the mention of a 'second reason' is extremely interesting. Unless he's trolling, what else could it be? Pretty sure he wouldn't have said that unless a deal was close.

Archived