Football: For Now We Are All Champions!

MercenaryChef

34 minutes ago, MisterOJ said:

Yeah, that's what I figured, but they paid 35 million a year ago and were just offered 30 million for a player that can't even make their squad. Seems like they'd just take the small loss and move on. 

In the intervening year a new TV deal has come into effect, which has made every Premier League club even richer. Even players who have spent a year sitting around will have become more valuable. Especially as now everyone is so wealthy, a status signing like Benteke for clubs in Palace's position makes him worth much more than he would be for a bigger side.

The latest transfer rumour:

Machester City is indeed bringing in a goalkeeper from Barcelona. But it's not ter Stegen. Apparently Guardiola is about to sign Bravo. Leaving ter Stegen as new undisputed number 1 goalkeeper at Barcelona. Hart should then be shipped to Everton (on loan). Barcelona would sign Diego Alves as backup from Valencia. And Everton's Stekelenburg would be the one goalkeeper that gets shafted.

1 hour ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

The longer these things go on with an unwanted player, the lower the transfer fee drops.

If Liverpool end up hanging on to Benteke, they'll be lucky to get 15 million for him next summer.

Before the new tv deal that was probably true but now pretty much every team in the league could afford to buy a player for £30 million if they wanted to. Given Liverpool just managed to offload Ibe for £15 million I'd think they'll be fairly confident of being able to get £20-25 million plus for a proven goal scorer like Benteke.

I read that Palace's $7m of add-ons were laughable, like qualification for Europe.  Liverpool may get disappointed here but it does seem like a pretty good bet that someone really needs a quality striker and $30m isn't that much this summer.  But other potential buyers have melted away, e.g. West Ham bought Ayew, West Brom may need back-up but Rondon is clearly first choice and is Benteke as a #2 seems implausible for both parties, Everton look likely to retain Lukaku, Southampton are shifting away from playing with a target man.  You need more than one bidder to create an auction.  There is also a rumor that Palace want Sissoko from Newcastle, although I'm not sure if he would go and it could just be a ploy to make Liverpool anxious.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter to me.  At this stage, Benteke and Balotelli are financial assets (or liabilities) for FSG rather than a footballing asset for Klopp.  Whether they stay or go won't affect the team this season.

Regarding Fellaini, I wasn't at all surprised to see him play under Mourinho, who has always liked physical/dirty players in his teams and doesn't see much of that in this Utd squad.  I think Ibra and Bailly were targeted for their physicality and potentially nasty side too.  I expect the flailing elbows to be retained as a backup to Pogba and for games when Mourinho wants a clogger creating chaos.

19 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Mkhitaryan would be a better choice at #10

finally, thanks. I wish Rooney and Ibrahimovic play together in attack, Miki at #10 
It will be the better choice for team, as you know armenian was one of the leaders in all Europe in assists last year.
Hope he will show his abilities for United too.

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I think Ibra and Bailly were targeted for their physicality and potentially nasty side too

Eric Bailly played only 2 official games for MU and he was twice man of the match. He will have great season for United if he continues to play like that.

17 hours ago, Notone said:

Machester City is indeed bringing in a goalkeeper from Barcelona. But it's not ter Stegen. Apparently Guardiola is about to sign Bravo. Leaving ter Stegen as new undisputed number 1 goalkeeper at Barcelona. Hart should then be shipped to Everton (on loan). Barcelona would sign Diego Alves as backup from Valencia. And Everton's Stekelenburg would be the one goalkeeper that gets shafted.

I don't understand this Guardiola's decision. For me, Hart should be the #1 for Manchester City!

4 minutes ago, StefCurry said:

I don't understand this Guardiola's decision. For me, Hart should be the #1 for Manchester City!

You're kidding, right? Apart from being an enormous, arrogant wanker, Hart's been a liability for a while now.

5 hours ago, StefCurry said:

Guardiola wants a goalkeeper who is also a good footballer. Somebody like van der Sar or Neuer. ter Stegen is also one of those goalkeeper who are good with their feet, so that deal would have made a whole lot of sense. Hart is usually a good shot stopper (let's leave out those typical English goalie howlers at the Euros), but he is not a particularly great footballer (mildly put). If you want to play with those high defense lines Guardiola likes, you need one of those sweeper keepers, and Hart is too limited in his footballing abilities to play that. 

On 8/16/2016 at 5:25 PM, Notone said:

I actually thought Alves might have a good chance of becoming first keeper if he transfers to Barca.

What I don't want to see is Hart going to Everton and getting ahead of Stekelenburg, because I personally think Stekelenburg is Holland's best goalkeeper and we need him to play and be fit so he gets back to starting again for us in international games. Also, he's better than Hart.

I doubt ter Stegen would agree to that. He has already made quite some noise towards the end of last season, that he wants more games or out. Barcelona have rumoredly turned down very good money from Man City to keep him, and they are selling Bravo instead. Add to that he is really highly rated by his team mates and the coaching staff. So I don't think it makes much sense for Barcelona to put another goalkeeper in front of his nose. 

For ter Stegen it's all about positioning himself for the time Neuer retires, it's basically this battle between him and Leno about who is the first in the line of succession. And a place on the bench is not particularly helpful (even if the bench is in Barcelona), while Leno gets to play Bundesliga and Champions League at Leverkusen. So the next few years can be crucial for his ambition to succeed Neuer, and it's really hard to imagine that ter Stegen would silently play ball, if Barcelona's new goalkeeper is supposed to be their new starting goalkeeper.

Stekelenburg, well, let's just say the last four years were not exactly the best years of his professional life. So he has quite a bit to prove.

9 hours ago, StefCurry said:

finally, thanks. I wish Rooney and Ibrahimovic play together in attack, Miki at #10 
It will be the better choice for team, as you know armenian was one of the leaders in all Europe in assists last year.
Hope he will show his abilities for United too.

There is no chance that Mourinho would play two forwards and a dedicated no.10. If those three play together Mikhitaryan will be on the right. Which is fine, because that's where he played at Dortmund a lot, but with Lingard's early form on the right and Rooney's lack of it, a central role would seem more beneficial for the team.

47 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Mane got injured in training, no prognosis yet.  Ojo also injured.  That's a real pity for Mane after his great debut.  I think we have enough depth without him but we may miss his pace and directness already.

Wonder if Sturridge will start if Mane is out this weekend. Hope so.

7 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Wonder if Sturridge will start if Mane is out this weekend. Hope so.

I wondered that too, but it doesn't sound like he has had a full preseason yet.  Origi might be more likely, or possibly Lallana takes that spot as Can returns to the starting XI.

Archived