Would the Dragons Attack Dany?

Maxxine

I somewhat posed this question on another thread but it wasn't answered so hopefully this can start some discussion. So assuming that it's true that all three dragons will get riders and Dany will ride Drogon, will the other dragons still attack her if one of the other riders ordered it to. I ask because Dany presents a unique scenario that hasn't presented in any other cases we know of. From what we know when the Targs had dragons they would have eggs placed in the crib with them and if/when the egg hatched the Targ would presumably be bonded with that dragon.Or if there was no egg or the egg didn't hatch they could still bond with a dragon whose rider had already died. 

In Dany's case she hatched all three dragons so it's possible all three have some sort of bond with her. She has obviously bonded with Drogon the most and will ride him, but all three seem to have bonded with her. She is training all three of them in Clash and when she takes Quentyn to see them in Dance Rhaegal and Viserion seemingly recognize her as their "mother" and are waiting for her direction. 

It is very well possible that as soon as Viserion and Rhaegal would just forget about any allegiance to Dany once they get riders but I would think there would be bit more nuance than that.

Dany seems to think something to that effect even without riders. From her chapter with Daznak's Pit as she faces Drogon:

"I am looking into hell, but I dare not look away. She had never been so certain of anything. If I run from him, he will burn me and devour me."

We have heard before that a dragon is not a pet. I would say that a dragon could definitely turn against Dany and that having a rider would provide a scenario where that would happen more easily

34 minutes ago, Michael Mertyns said:

Dany seems to think something to that effect even without riders. From her chapter with Daznak's Pit as she faces Drogon:

"I am looking into hell, but I dare not look away. She had never been so certain of anything. If I run from him, he will burn me and devour me."

We have heard before that a dragon is not a pet. I would say that a dragon could definitely turn against Dany and that having a rider would provide a scenario where that would happen more easily

Good and valid point. The thing I would say to that though, is that this is what she thinks it's not clear if he would actually attack her. She has a very limited knowledge of dragons so can we take her word for this. From the World book, the Princess and the Queen, and the Rogue Prince we don't have an instance of dragon turning once bonded, so I'm not completely convinced Drogon would have attacked her.  

It's a lame ass answer, but I don't think we are supposed to be certain. Without riders, I think it is unlikely. But if the dragon bonds with someone else, I'd say it's really possible.

I guess, what I wonder about is if the dragons will bond with someone else, or if they are already bound to Dany. Granted, that is unusual, and I don't know of that happening before, but Dany, and the circumstances surrounding the birth of her dragons, are fairly unique. They suckled at her breasts. She is their mother.

Great timing!  I was just about to post a similar question.  In the Princess and the Queen, a number of times the maester writes "no one knows what is in a dragon's heart"  when referring to why one riderless dragon did something, like when the Princess' dragon (Syrax?) attacked the mob in the Dragon Pit, instead of just flying away after being released by her son, or why Aegon's dragon returned to Dragonstone.  I was wondering whether GRRM is foreshadowing a conflict among dany's dragons (with or without riders).  We all know how he loves foreshadowing!!  

Drogon, probably not. The other two?  Not while Drogon is around and they remain unbound.  They seem to take their cues as much from him as they do Dany.

When they find their riders, and should those riders stand against Dany?  Then your guess is as good as mine.  

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Rhaegal will. Viserion might. 

Reveal hidden contents

They were dancing. In my dream. And everywhere the dragons danced the people died.

Arianne, Winds 

Could you expand a little bit. I'm not sure I see the connection between your assertion and the spoiler content.

2 minutes ago, Maxxine said:

Could you expand a little bit. I'm not sure I see the connection between your assertion and the spoiler content.

Well, according to an SSM that I am too lazy to dig up, we will see a Second Dance of the Dragons as foreseen by Teora. Unless there's another dragon out there, Daenerys's children will fight. 

From what we have seen in the past it has always been 1 dragon bounded to 1 dragonrider at a time. So if one of the other dragons bond with someone else I see it as possibly happening. Besides Viserion and Rhaegal can't have been pleased about being shut in the dungeon for so long to boot.

3 hours ago, Maxxine said:

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Well, according to an SSM that I am too lazy to dig up, we will see a Second Dance of the Dragons as foreseen by Teora. Unless there's another dragon out there, Daenerys's children will fight. 

The political infighting before the Dance was known as the Blacks versus the Greens. Rhaenyra was head of the Blacks while Allicent Hightower was head of the Greens.

History will repeat itself with Dany and Drogon fighting with whomever manages to claim Rhaegal.

(Viserion is white, a neutral color. He will fight or he will not.)

I still think it quite possible the Dance will be between Daenerys and Jon. Jon may side with fAegon which is an easy way of bringing them into conflict. I can't see fAegon bonding with a dragon and I don't believe he would really count as a second Dance of Dragons even though that is superficially what it appears at the moment.

I think lot of people are going to be disappointed with the so called dance of dragons when YG dies even before dany starts for westeros..or iam wrong 

Let's just wait and see who gets wrong ...please her the TWOW out soon ..

Regarding dragons I don't think there is going to any other who is going to bond with dragons other than dany ..

2 hours ago, delspark said:

Most possible if fAegon manages to steal one of the dragons. I don't see why any other possible dragon rider would turn against Dany.

(F)aegon is a joke that we all know is fake so there is no way he'll ever bond with a dragon. no the real fight will be between the two true targ heir's Jon and Dany.

the reason why they will fight is simple Dany is going to be seen as a evil invaded force to just about everyone in westeros. there are no slaves to save and no straw men slaves masters to justify her actions. so when she burns down cities, tortures a bakers daughter just doesn't have full control over her 100,000 dothraki rapists in her army the small folk of westeros are going to be upset.

there is no way Jon would just sit back and let that happen.

she is the three headed dragon of prophecy , azor ahai and prince that was promised 

as for dance of dragons

she might see faegon and jon snow as greedy opportunists  who tore realm apart and punish them

3 hours ago, delspark said:

Most possible if fAegon manages to steal one of the dragons. I don't see why any other possible dragon rider would turn against Dany.

It's reasonable to think that Euron or Victarion will be able to bind one of the Dragons. And if they do bind one of the dragons and Dany refuses to marry one of them so that they may sit the iron throne, then I think they would definitely fight. Really anyone aspiring to the iron throne that want to actually rule will not be a friend of Dany imo. Dany wants to rule, not be ruled through. 

However Dragons dancing does not mean that both sides have dragons, it just means that both sides have Targ blood. It could be Dany and her 3 dragons vs Aegon and the Golden company or something.

6 hours ago, RoamingRonin said:

The political infighting before the Dance was known as the Blacks versus the Greens. Rhaenyra was head of the Blacks while Allicent Hightower was head of the Greens.

History will repeat itself with Dany and Drogon fighting with whomever manages to claim Rhaegal.

(Viserion is white, a neutral color. He will fight or he will not.)

Or he will change sides like Ulf the white did... Hey, are there any drunken sots in our story? A drunken sot with one green eye and one black eye, maybe? 

Archived