America: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Daendrew

At the 2016 Democratic National Convention Vice President Joe Biden gave a subtle nod to George R. R. Martin and Dorne in his speech, which starts at the 16:30 mark.

He said:

We’ve had candidates before attempted to get elected to appealing to our fears, but they never succeeded, because we do not scare easily. We never bow, we never bend, we never break when confronted with crisis. No, we endure, we overcome and we always, always, always move forward.

I think it was a very nice touch and a testament to GRRM's tremendous talent and contribution.

IMO it'll get a little ridiculous when politicians begin doing speeches with Houses's words, specially when most probably they don't know the series. Kudos to the speech writers.

- "I thank all the citizens that voted me and remember, a John Doe always pays his debts".

I think that's a phrase that predates the ASOIAF series. The speechwriter may be a fan, and may have put the phrase in the speech because the show (or books) put it in his or her head, but that combination of words is not unique to GRRM.

1 hour ago, Seams said:

I think that's a phrase that predates the AOIAF series. The speechwriter may be a fan, and may have put the phrase in the speech because the show (or books) put it in his or her head, but that combination of words is not unique to GRRM.

Yeah. I'm not inclined to believe it was a ASOIAF nod. If it were more specific like the Stark words or the Lannister "debts" thing then I would agree.

Well they're about to crown elect Viserys Targaryen Donald Trump, an arrogant and pretentious 'leader' with delusions of grandeur and terrible negotiating skills, who's only where he is right now because of his very rich backer Illyrio father, so I'd say that ASOIAF comparisons are apt.

22 hours ago, Anton Martell said:

It probably comes from a speechwriter who's fan of the books/show. I'm not sure Joe Biden knew the reference

Obama was in a PSA with the premise "Naming all the characters who died in Game of Thrones is hard: registering to vote is not" and when he got to Hodor he frowned and went "that was really sad". It made me believe that at least Barry watches the show. I like to imagine him and Michelle and Joe and Jill all get together every Sunday to watch.

Archived