Songs That Make Your Heart Hurt

Theda Baratheon

The only one for me probably doesn't even qualify since I change the channel whenever it comes on. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Under the bridge.

Now, it's not that the song itself is moving or whatever, the first time I remember bearing it I was driving to work and the radio had just announced details about the rioting in LA after the Rodney King verdict. Not sure why this touched me or had an effect on me but I have never to this day listened to that song. Whenever I hear it I get images in my head of people getting beaten and killed. No thanks.

For me it's a lot of Sigur Ros, especially Saeglopur and Njosnavelin.

Into the West by Annie Lennox as well. 

EDIT: can't believe I forgot Kettering by the Antlers.

Haha oh man, I totally used to have a playlist that was built around pretty much the same idea... doubt I can remember all that much now

heres a few at least:

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine (pretty classic one)

Tom Waits - Another Man's Vine

this one doesn't quite live upto my memory of it, but back in my emo larval form this one always hit me, I think for the melancholy shot through with undertones of bitterness and anger 65 Film Show - Corporal Clinger

Of course this thread wouldn't be complete with out some Palace/Bonnie Prince Billy/Will Oldham 

Will Oldham - O Let It Be (honestly I think this may be one of his more uplifting songs outside of his RKelly cover)

Billie Holiday - Good Morning Heartache (Just as Patsy Cline sings about seeing her love, every time I hear Billie's voice I'm in pieces)

Aimee Mann - Just like Anyone there are a lot of Aimee's songs giving me sweet heartaches Par for the Course and It's Not are two more.

Neil Young - The Needle and the Damage Done

Steve Winwood (Blind Faith) - I Can't Find My Way Home

Townes Van Zandt - Mother of the Mountain (He has a lot of songs that hurt more and sweeter, but this one paves the way for the next.)

Custer LaRue - Binnorie (The Twa Sisters)

Steeleye Span - Lovely on the Water

Zupfgeigenhansel - Zogen einst fünf wilde Schwäne

Ton Steine Scherben - Komm schlaf bei mir  (This is rather personal. A love song connected to a love gone wrong.)

Angel Olsen - Lonely Universe

Martha Wainwright - Proserpina

Songs with lyrics

The High Kings – The Parting Glass

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Nightwish - Sleeping Sun

Tarja Turunen - I Walk Alone

Adele - Hello

Rob Thomas - Now Comes the Night

Mumford & Sons - After the Storm

Mumford & Sons - Thistle & Weeds

Annie Lennox - Into the West

Billy Boyd - The Last Goodbye

Bear McCreary & Griogair Labhruidh - Moch sa Mhadainn 's Mi a' Dùsgadh (from the score of Outlander season 2) - don't understand the words, but it stirs the heart nonetheless

Einar Selvik (Wardruna) – Völuspá (part of the song included in the score of Vikings season 3) - same as above

Songs without lyrics

Randy Edelman – To The Stars (from score of DragonHeart)

John Powell – Forbidden Friendship (from the score of How to Train Your Dragon)

Hans Zimmer – Time (from the score of Inception)

Craig Armstrong – PM’s Love Theme (from the score of Love Actually)

Mark Isham – October Sky (from the score of October Sky)

Abel Korzeniowski – Welcome to the Grand Guignol (from the score of Penny Dreadful season 1)

Jerry Goldsmith – Tryouts (from the score of Rudy)

Various versions of Dougie Maclean’s The Gael, in particular Trevor Jones – Promentory from the score of The Last of the Mohicans

Howard Shore – Concerning Hobbits (from the score of The Fellowship of the Ring)

James Horner – Hymn to the Sea (from the score of Titanic)

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Thanks guys!! On my next day off im just gonna chill and listen through all these. Is that weird? Maybe a little bit. I don't care sometimes its just nice to listen to music that really moves you, even if it's sad :)

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts.  Perhaps you should do a list of your favorites.  

Archived