Songs That Make Your Heart Hurt

Theda Baratheon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Loadsa songs can bring me to tears, largely dependant on how vulnerable I'm feeling at the time I guess, with a few with more special signifance for me. 90s dominated I'm afraid; hey, it's my decade.

"Hedonism" by Skunk Anansie - was playing on the radio as I drove home after being dumped by fiancee #1.

Basically all of "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd which were my constant companions through my darkest days (along with "Dummy" by Portishead and Puressence' eponymous album).

"Cup Of Coffee" by Garbage - again down to being dumped the day I first heard it. "You Look So Fine" can also get me - no idea why

When I'm feeling vulnerable, then "Something In The Way" by Nirvana (preferably fron Unplugged).

"Pictures Of You" has got to be The Cure's saddest song.

"Street Spirit" by Radiohead - you don't need to know what he's singing to know what he means.

"Brick" by Ben Folds Five.

Not forgetting the likes of Mozart's Requiem; or "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables" from Les Mis

Of course, then you've got the cliche sad classics like The River, Nothing Compares 2 U, Everybody Hurts, Black, Hallelujah, Someone Like You, Drugs Don't Work etc etc

Plenty of others of course, I'm sure they'll come to me in time.

Some suggestions I don't think were mentioned before (it's possible I missed something).

Lush - Light From a Dead Star

Mercury Rev - The Dark is Rising

Eels - My Beloved Monster (also about 90% of the songs they ever recorded)

Spiritualised - Stop Your Crying

38 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Some suggestions I don't think were mentioned before (it's possible I missed something).

Lush - Light From a Dead Star

Mercury Rev - The Dark is Rising

Eels - My Beloved Monster (also about 90% of the songs they ever recorded)

Spiritualised - Stop Your Crying

I really love Eels and a lot of their songs would make it to my list.

• 5 months later...

share the segments of songs (or whole songs) that honestly make your heart hurt because the last minute of Gladys Knight singing this song is just breathtaking and this is my favourite version (2:26 onwards in particular) is just gorgeous

Archived