Dany+Tyrion=Love?

Anton Martell

I am sorry if this topic has been approached in some way, I tried to search for such a topic but I have not found it yet. If it exists, my sincere apologies.

I would like to discuss the Tyrion/Dany scene in episode 11. Just after Dany tells Daario she wants him to stay in Meeren she comes back to Tyrion when we realize that as Daario suspected, it was Tyrion's idea. Then he says this (the quote might be slightly inexact):

He won't be the first to love you, he won't be the last

The look on Peter Dinklage face at that time seemed sad, as if he loved her himself but knew it could not happen. I got a strange vibe where he was really in love and that maybe Daario's dismissal was both for political and personal reasons. It looked a bit like how Jorah would look at Daenerys sometimes.

If this is true, the implication for season 7 might be important, to see how Tyrion juggles with his feelings and duty.

Am I the only one who felt that? What do you guys think?

10 hours ago, Anton Martell said:

I am sorry if this topic has been approached in some way, I tried to search for such a topic but I have not found it yet. If it exists, my sincere apologies.

I would like to discuss the Tyrion/Dany scene in episode 11. Just after Dany tells Daario she wants him to stay in Meeren she comes back to Tyrion when we realize that as Daario suspected, it was Tyrion's idea. Then he says this (the quote might be slightly inexact):

The look on Peter Dinklage face at that time seemed sad, as if he loved her himself but knew it could not happen. I got a strange vibe where he was really in love and that maybe Daario's dismissal was both for political and personal reasons. It looked a bit like how Jorah would look at Daenerys sometimes.

If this is true, the implication for season 7 might be important, to see how Tyrion juggles with his feelings and duty.

I dont think he looks at her like this, remember she and sansa are of similar age and tyrion saw sansa as pretty but still a child, So i would imagine he would see Dany as the same.

Nah, don't think so.

First, I don't think Tyrion would fall in love with her after spending so little time with her.

Second, the look on his face seemed to be more of pity for Dany learning the hard lesson that to be a ruler means sacrificing things like love and personal relationships for the sake of more logical relationships.

Third, I think Dany more than anything else is taking on a sisterly role to Tyrion, being the sister Cersei never was to him. I think plot-wise, this makes a lot more sense. (And may have deeper implications, depending on if you think it's possible Tyrion's father is not who everyone thinks he is.)

Dany and Tyrion like and respect each other and it may bloom into a kind of sibling love, but I will be shocked if it ever becomes romantic.

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility and it wouldn't bother me if it happened.  People have theorized a Tyrion-Dany match up for a long time in the books, though it's never been a popular opinion.  I think a stong mutual admiration already exists, and I don't think it's completely ridiculous to believe it could come to be more for either or both of them.  Jaime - Brienne started the same way, with friendship and admiration, but despite there being a mismatch in physical beauty, they now both have romantic feelings for each other.  And before someone suggests Jorah as "proof" Dany can't love someone who isn't super attractive (which Jorah is anyway in the show), there's a lot of important differences between Jorah and Tyrion personality-wise.  

However, in the current political climate, there's very little incentive for Dany to marry Tyrion.  He's already her Hand and brings no army or lands under her control (because he is generally assumed to be disinherited after killing Tywin).  She could appoint Tyrion to rule Casterley Rock if she wished, but she already has his loyalty as her hand, and for giving him his dream of C.R..  So even if she did come to love him, eventually, I don't think she would marry him.  She's much better off courting one of the men who have lands and armies to offer her (Jon, Bran(?), Jaime, Robyn/Littlefinger), so she has fewer enemies to take out.

The one way I think a Tyrion - Dany marriage might occur is, paradoxically, if they really turn out to be half-siblings (Aerys + Johanna = Tyrion), and if Tyrion becomes a Dragonrider.  Dany might want to consolidate the power within the Targaryen lineage rather than marrying out: as Aegon did with his sisters, she would marry her half brother and nephew (Jon).  The loss of the political advantages of a match that brings another family into the fold might be outweighed by the symbolic advantage of the Targaryen three-headed dragon.  Furthermore if one or two of the three dies during the final conflict, the rule of the survivor remains intact, by the publickly announced consent of the others.  There  The show has no strong hints of the A+J=T theory being true, however (just the scenes with Tywin where he says Tyrion's not his son / he can't prove he's not his son).  Then again the strongest hints for R+L=J didn't come into the show until season 5.  So it may still happen.  

14 hours ago, Anton Martell said:

I like the way the question is posed because it is effectively hard to stand aside her without strange feeling.

I do agree with the last librarian on a Admiration ! far more than love (in a romantic way). This is love but not in the way Jorah love her.

And the true romance of the all books is between Dany and Jorah, the one pure and complex love. As it was between Rhaegar and Lyanna.

In that way, Tyrion will not have real difficulty to deal with is admiration, as he will realize the process and dive into work when they will arrive in Dorne. He will have lot to discuss, to deal, etc. 

1 hour ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

I think it's not out of the realm of possibility and it wouldn't bother me if it happened.  People have theorized a Tyrion-Dany match up for a long time in the books, though it's never been a popular opinion.  I think a stong mutual admiration already exists, and I don't think it's completely ridiculous to believe it could come to be more for either or both of them.  Jaime - Brienne started the same way, with friendship and admiration, but despite there being a mismatch in physical beauty, they now both have romantic feelings for each other.  And before someone suggests Jorah as "proof" Dany can't love someone who isn't super attractive (which Jorah is anyway in the show), there's a lot of important differences between Jorah and Tyrion personality-wise.   

Dany, as a young woman uncomfortable with a true but not so simple love choose bright and sexy man to just have sex, yes. And even if she said that she was surprised not to have the feelings that she thought for Dario. Her heart knows it well enough.

Remember the scene between Jorah and Dany at Qarth, after she understand that he loves her truly. And her cold rage when she fell so deeply betrayed with the discovery of his first purpose !!!

And remember explanation of Tyrion, and the growing emotion of Dany as Jorah comes back again and again...

Watch a last time the scene of departure of Jorah to find a cure. Her smile, her heart leaping as she tell him she "wants" him beside her to rule ! Even the shot on Dario at this very moment, as he realize he is on a temporary mission !

;)

I think Tyrion's reaction to the scene was layered. There seemed to be some longing there, but with the pragmatic reality knowing it would never go further than that. Though most of his emotional movement at the scene was that someone appreciated him for hand didn't just see a stunted failure. At his core Tyrion seems to just want to be loved and appreciated on some level.

I agree with what most of you said, but it's really Peter Dinklage acting that made me think about that.

I don't think they will marry or whatever. But maybe he will struggle a bit with his attraction. After all Tyrion and Dany are very popular character and creating a sort of "will they won't they" could please the audience. I think it would never happen in the books, but in the show it might, and again would be very one sided.

But the brother/sister thing works too

2 hours ago, Pelagie said:

Dany, as a young woman uncomfortable with a true but not so simple love choose bright and sexy man to just have sex, yes. And even if she said that she was surprised not to have the feelings that she thought for Dario. Her heart knows it well enough.

Remember the scene between Jorah and Dany at Qarth, after she understand that he loves her truly. And her cold rage when she fell so deeply betrayed with the discovery of his first purpose !!!

And remember explanation of Tyrion, and the growing emotion of Dany as Jorah comes back again and again...

Watch a last time the scene of departure of Jorah to find a cure. Her smile, her heart leaping as she tell him she "wants" him beside her to rule ! Even the shot on Dario at this very moment, as he realize he is on a temporary mission !

;)

Nah, I don't believe a Jorah x Dany romantic love story will happen.  She considered him her closest friend and does love him dearly, but as a father figure.  Truely I agree she does love him more than Daario - but she doesn't want to marry him or sleep with him and I think this is well established.

even if danys feelings towards Jorah developed into romantic/sexual ones he is not a suitable consort - he doesn't even give her house Mormont and they are a tiny, If badass, island house.  Tyrion would even be more suitable

7 minutes ago, A spoon of knife and fork said:

Nah, I don't believe a Jorah x Dany romantic love story will happen.  She considered him her closest friend and does love him dearly, but as a father figure.  Truely I agree she does love him more than Daario - but she doesn't want to marry him or sleep with him and I think this is well established.

even if danys feelings towards Jorah developed into romantic/sexual ones he is not a suitable consort - he doesn't even give her house Mormont and they are a tiny, If badass, island house.  Tyrion would even be more suitable

;)

I was extremely surprised  when Dany said she didn't love Daario. After that, and considering the way Jorah's unrequited love for Dany is played in the show since s1, I can expect anything, even Dany+Jorah (Which I'd love:wub:), although I don't think they would marry or would have a happy ending.

;)

Good gracious this sounds Twilight movie.

But anyway I didn't get that from that scene. I just saw her impressed at how useful of a tool he is to her and telling him to go find a cure and then make his way back. Hate to be that guy but we have 14 episodes left, I'll want to marry the guy myself if he can find a cure that no one has ever found and sail across an ocean and find her in the short amount of time that's left.

It took like six episodes just to make the Battle at Winterfell happen.

8 minutes ago, House_Tony_Stark said:

But anyway I didn't get that from that scene. I just saw her impressed at how useful of a tool he is to her and telling him to go find a cure and then make his way back. Hate to be that guy but we have 14 episodes left, I'll want to marry the guy myself if he can find a cure that no one has ever found and sail across an ocean and find her in the short amount of time that's left.

It took like six episodes just to make the Battle at Winterfell happen.

He's been called Ser Friendzone for a reason. But his love for Dany has been consistent since the early beginning.

I don't think Dany is in love with him......at least yet; but I think that ShowDany cares quite a lot about him, and I felt that in that scene she was realising that he meant a lot to him, more than she had thought. And it's not only in this scene, S5 scenes are very intense too, and the one that @Pelagiecommentend, when she orders him to leaver her. Her speech to Tyrion about not truly being in love with Daario made me think that maybe there could be something in the air. But I know it won't happen.:wacko:

10 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

He's been called Ser Friendzone for a reason. But his love for Dany has been consistent since the early beginning.

I don't think Dany is in love with him......at least yet; but I think that ShowDany cares quite a lot about him, and I felt that in that scene she was realising that he meant a lot to him, more than she had thought. And it's not only in this scene, S5 scenes are very intense too, and the one that @Pelagiecommentend, when she orders him to leaver her. Her speech to Tyrion about not truly being in love with Daario made me think that maybe there could be something in the air. But I know it won't happen.:wacko:

Yeah, even if some part of her did love him it would never happen. She can't rely on dragons that may not survive the war and soldiers that are from another continent to maintain her rule in Westeros. I feel as though she is going to have to put her ambitions before her feelings and that means marrying one of the powerful houses of the seven.

Let's say for instance she does the "obvious" thing and marries Jon. By marriage alone and not through conquest 50 percent of all of the land in Westeros is hers (North & Crownlands). The Riverlands & the Vale have close ties to house Stark so they also could be brought into the fold without war. And assuming she gets rid of Jamie & Cersei, Tyrion will be lord of the Westerlands.

If she were to marry Ser Friendzone lol, let's not forget why a little girl is the head of house Mormont. He is the former head of the House who was exiled for trading slaves and ran from execution. No one in the seven realms would be okay with him being King and especially the North. That would nearly guarantee that she would be fighting a war against them & Little Finger who wants the throne.

The actual scene and the looks that they gave each other made me think for like a split second that they were about to kiss and probably it was done on purpose so that they idea crossed our minds, however I have to agree that I think what they have there is friendship and admiration and yes I think they definitely care for each other but not romantically.  Also part of the point of that scene, IMHO, was for Tyrion to impress the importance of sacrificing one's feelings, if one is a ruler, to further a political allegiance and as it has been pointed out their union wouldn't particularly further anything they haven't got already.  Personally I think this was hinting at Jon/Dany (although a little too obvious but can't find any other candidates that would advance her cause a great deal) and also (I know a lot of people hate this idea) but in my opinion possibly Tyrion and Sansa staying together as this would unite two great houses, once all is done and dusted in KL, which I think most agree will be.

14 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

The actual scene and the looks that they gave each other made me think for like a split second that they were about to kiss and probably it was done on purpose so that they idea crossed our minds, however I have to agree that I think what they have there is friendship and admiration and yes I think they definitely care for each other but not romantically.  Also part of the point of that scene, IMHO, was for Tyrion to impress the importance of sacrificing one's feelings, if one is a ruler, to further a political allegiance and as it has been pointed out their union wouldn't particularly further anything they haven't got already.  Personally I think this was hinting at Jon/Dany (although a little too obvious but can't find any other candidates that would advance her cause a great deal) and also (I know a lot of people hate this idea) but in my opinion possibly Tyrion and Sansa staying together as this would unite two great houses, once all is done and dusted in KL, which I think most agree will be.

Thanks, I wasn't the only one then :D!

I disagree with the Sansa/Tyrion thing, or that even everything will ever be settled in Westeros (although in the show, maybe), but I agree with the rest

11 minutes ago, Anton Martell said:

Thanks, I wasn't the only one then :D!

I disagree with the Sansa/Tyrion thing, or that even everything will ever be settled in Westeros (although in the show, maybe), but I agree with the rest

No, I definitely think the actors were playing that scene in a way that it would give us food for thought.

The Sansa / Tyrion staying together in the end is very unpopular so probably I am wrong but as I keep saying, we shall see.  Now as for the conflict between houses being settled in Westeros, surely not forever and ever but the series has to come to a conclusion and that conclusion IMHO can only be the hope a relatively lasting peace between the various houses and or even types of being (I forsee some sort of pact with the WW too... possibly another stretch).  I personally think the bitter-sweet ending will be in terms of okay:  peace has been achieved for now but at a great cost in terms of main and secondary characters we love and/or love to hate and (my prediction) the dragons will have to go too.  To me otherwise if the house conflicts carry on as they are the series wouldn't feel finished but easily continued, even if pushed with say all the offspring of all the dead characters or whatever so I am inclined to think that a compromise between houses will be reached.  Now, I do not think the Iron Throne as we know it will survive it either.

Oh, re-reading your reply I know realised that I wasn't clear enough about what I originally meant by "all done and dusted in KL."  In that particular context I was referring to Cersei's reign coming to an end with her death and possibly Jaime's, the Sparrows neutralised in some way etc which I guess will happen at the very end of the series just before the War with the WW et al begins...Again, just guessing here but Cersei's demise seems to be unquestioned by most fans.

18 hours ago, House_Tony_Stark said:

Why "Twilight" ? Could explain please ?

2 hours ago, Morgana Lannister said:

No, I definitely think the actors were playing that scene in a way that it would give us food for thought.

The Sansa / Tyrion staying together in the end is very unpopular so probably I am wrong but as I keep saying, we shall see.  Now as for the conflict between houses being settled in Westeros, surely not forever and ever but the series has to come to a conclusion and that conclusion IMHO can only be the hope a relatively lasting peace between the various houses and or even types of being (I forsee some sort of pact with the WW too... possibly another stretch).  I personally think the bitter-sweet ending will be in terms of okay:  peace has been achieved for now but at a great cost in terms of main and secondary characters we love and/or love to hate and (my prediction) the dragons will have to go too.  To me otherwise if the house conflicts carry on as they are the series wouldn't feel finished but easily continued, even if pushed with say all the offspring of all the dead characters or whatever so I am inclined to think that a compromise between houses will be reached.  Now, I do not think the Iron Throne as we know it will survive it either.

Oh, re-reading your reply I know realised that I wasn't clear enough about what I originally meant by "all done and dusted in KL."  In that particular context I was referring to Cersei's reign coming to an end with her death and possibly Jaime's, the Sparrows neutralised in some way etc which I guess will happen at the very end of the series just before the War with the WW et al begins...Again, just guessing here but Cersei's demise seems to be unquestioned by most fans.

I evoke the Sansa / Tyrion couple in another thread, so i support you on that point. Even if i don't see by now how it can be done.

But for Jon + dany...  Oh my gosh ! It would such a mess of the show !!!  A ado/children services with the beautiful brown hair prince (king), lightly complex, with the beautiful blond/white hair princess (queen), modern and powerful...

Pleeeeeeease, no Disney GoT !!!

1 hour ago, Pelagie said:

I evoke the Sansa / Tyrion couple in another thread, so i support you on that point. Even if i don't see by now how it can be done.

But for Jon + dany...  Oh my gosh ! It would such a mess of the show !!!  A ado/children services with the beautiful brown hair prince (king), lightly complex, with the beautiful blond/white hair princess (queen), modern and powerful...

Pleeeeeeease, no Disney GoT !!!

Well, I seem to be a little hell bent on Tyrion and Sansa comparing notes on LF and taking him down, or at least making his life difficult and leading to his downfall somehow but by no means I claim to be certain.  It's just something that makes sense to me since he was set up twice by him too.  Okay in the show they will meet as part of Jon/Dany's retinue respectively.  Also in the books their marriage still stands so something has to be done about it if they want to be both free, so meet they will for sure.

In the books though (sorry this is a show thread) but might come into it somehow, she is in the Vale, LF is hording food which no doubt he will use for extorsion and the poor will suffer of course and she knows it.  And I keep thinking, are we yet to see the tribes of the Vale that Tyrion used at the beginning of the story?  Maybe not in the show though but I think somehow he will make use of that old connection in his favour.

Well, I just thought of Jon for Dany seems to be noone else would could advance her cause/claim and I don't expect a new comer as a new consort for her this late in the game.  As for how they look, yes, classic Disney in the looks but hey everyone has to look like something I guess and I don't think all the unions are going to turn up Beauty and the Beast either lookswise.  However by all means there is not going to be and all round happy endings and a gigantic wedding where all still living main characters fall in love, eat, drink and dance and live happily ever after.  I am not even entirely sure that the 3 ones who I think will be the most crucial (and I think will ride the dragons) i.e. Dany, Jon and Tyrion will make it at the end of the series at all, although my prediction is that their houses will somehow so they better get busy lol ;)  which brings me to:  Dany took what that witch told her very literally and is completely convinced that she is infertile or will miscarriage.  i wonder if the witch was just literally feeding fear and despair into her and whether that might not be the case.  C'mon someone here has to reproduce from the major characters to create a certain continuity if, as many expect, a lot of them are getting the chop.  Still not a huge time left for romance/sex/babies but somehow they cannot all just die childless and I can't see new comers as partners for all/most of the main characters either.  By main characters here I am mainly including:  Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Arya, Bran, Sansa, Jaime, Brienne although definitely a few of those won't make it alive IMHO.  Sorry rumbling a bit here...

Archived