ThePrinceThatKnewNothing

Who could play Rhaegar or Could anyone play him?

75 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Game Of Thrones always tend to hire relatively not that known actors and Sam Claflin certainly is not some who would be perfect Rhaegar but that's just my opinion.

Okay.

But Wilf Scolding isn't a Rhaegar,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wolfgirly said:

Okay.

But Wilf Scolding isn't a Rhaegar,

Not my favourite either but more likely than Sam Claflin. Rhaegar is not need for that much next season. I'd imagine one or two scenes at most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's not ugly but he doesn't have Rhaegar's supposed beauty. His face is a bit hobbit-like. Even with a silver wig he's going to look like an extra from LOTR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Invalid Date at 3:57 PM, Cron said:

My understanding is that Rhaegar was only a few years older than Jaime and Cersei.  Jaime, I believe, was 16 at the Tourney of Harrenhall.  That would make Rhaegar no more than around 20 to 25, at most (I'm guessing some here knows Rhaegar's exact age, though)..

Just noticed this comment now. Rhaegar in the books was 24 when he died. All the characters have aged up a bit so they could get away with someone a little older, probably not 40. (Lyanna in the books was 16 when she died, played by a 22-year-old in the TV series.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Rhaegar seems to me like someone with a *delicate* beauty and not a muscular man like Chris Hemsworth, I think that Joseph Morgan would had been a perfect Rhaegar. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604784/mediaviewer/rm2573241600

 If he was beautiful which is something that I doubt since beauty is in the eye of the beholder and he reminds me of Nuada from Hellboy. http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Nuada?file=Prince_Nuada_with_a_crown.jpg

On 30/7/2016 at 1:47 AM, Lord Oaf of Highgarden said:

Superman is Robert Prime.

Edited by The Doctor's Consort

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Doctor's Consort said:

Rhaegar seems to me like someone with a *delicate* beauty and not a muscular man like Chris Hemsworth, I think that Joseph Morgan would had been a perfect Rhaegar. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604784/mediaviewer/rm2573241600

 If he was beautiful which is something that I doubt since beauty is in the eye of the beholder and he reminds me of Nuada from Hellboy.

Superman is Robert Prime.

He looks like a handsome Rhaegar and yes I can imagine Joseph playing him with silver blond hair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

...or given that Rhaegar's going to get three lines at best, they could toss the acting ability, and go purely by looks.

Dima Kopeikins https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/8d/6a/158d6a04377a3723ed21c2c4629f4a07.jpg

Valery Kovtun https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f4/39/e0/f439e0468aa369f8fbecf9b7ebc6a448.jpg

Edited by kimim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, kimim said:

...or given that Rhaegar's going to get three lines at best, they could toss the acting ability, and go purely by looks.

Dima Kopeikins https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/8d/6a/158d6a04377a3723ed21c2c4629f4a07.jpg

Valery Kovtun https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f4/39/e0/f439e0468aa369f8fbecf9b7ebc6a448.jpg

Not very likely that they would go for looks. Just see how they casted Lyanna - the Tower of Joy scene in the S6 Finale wouldn't have been that good if they were casting her according to looks. They casted a very good actress for Lyanna's role, so it's clear she has to act some in season 7. I mean they wouldn't just cast her only for a 10 minute scene in the S6 Finale would they? So would probably do the same thing when casting Rhaegar. 

 

Edited by WeKnowNothing
The dude in your first link is good looking - is he an actor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks were important to cast Lyanna's actress. She looks like a cuter versiok of Maisie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 6/3/2017 at 4:42 PM, Wolfgirly said:

Okay.

But Wilf Scolding isn't a Rhaegar,

LOL, Wilf Scolding is well over six feet, he's far too tall to play Jon's dad. :D

...In all seriousness, though, Wilf Scolding has a bit of a Chris Hemsworth vibe, and Magali Villeneuve (?) seems to have modeled her Rhaegar in TWOIAF after Chris Hemsworth's Thor. Wilf Scolding also has a bit of a Charlie Hunnam vibe, and Charlie Hunnam mentioned to having to pass on a small GOT role due to scheduling conflicts, which may have been Rhaegar. Maybe they wanted someone for Rhaegar with a particular look--blond, tall, strong jaw--and Wilf Scolding, like Charlie Hunnam, fit the bill.

As for Scolding not being attractive enough...eh. It wouldn't be the first time the show had cast an actor far less attractive than the book character was supposed to be: Renly, Loras, Theon, etc. People also complained about Aisling Franciosi not being pretty enough to play Lyanna, so it all evens out, I guess. For what it's worth, I think Scolding is plenty cute.

As for Sam Claflin? Sam Claflin and Aisling Franciosi are going to be in a non-GOT project together, which is why Aisling followed him on Twitter. Aisling Franciosi also followed Wilf Scolding on Twitter, though, and as far as we know they're not going to be in any other projects together.

Edited by Newstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2017 at 5:16 PM, CaptainTheo said:

Just noticed this comment now. Rhaegar in the books was 24 when he died. All the characters have aged up a bit so they could get away with someone a little older, probably not 40. (Lyanna in the books was 16 when she died, played by a 22-year-old in the TV series.)

Yeah, there ya go.

So, actors in their late 30's and 40's would seem to just be too old.

We are looking for an actor in his mid to late 20's, at most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Newstar said:

LOL, Wilf Scolding is well over six feet, he's far too tall to play Jon's dad. :D

...In all seriousness, though, Wilf Scolding has a bit of a Chris Hemsworth vibe, and Magali Villeneuve (?) seems to have modeled her Rhaegar in TWOIAF after Chris Hemsworth's Thor. Wilf Scolding also has a bit of a Charlie Hunnam vibe, and Charlie Hunnam mentioned to having to pass on a small GOT role due to scheduling conflicts, which may have been Rhaegar. Maybe they wanted someone for Rhaegar with a particular look--blond, tall, strong jaw--and Wilf Scolding, like Charlie Hunnam, fit the bill.

As for Scolding not being attractive enough...eh. It wouldn't be the first time the show had cast an actor far less attractive than the book character was supposed to be: Renly, Loras, Theon, etc. People also complained about Aisling Franciosi not being pretty enough to play Lyanna, so it all evens out, I guess. For what it's worth, I think Scolding is plenty cute.

As for Sam Claflin? Sam Claflin and Aisling Franciosi are going to be in a non-GOT project together, which is why Aisling followed him on Twitter. Aisling Franciosi also followed Wilf Scolding on Twitter, though, and as far as we know they're not going to be in any other projects together.

I agree about Will Scolding but well they ain't gonna cast hobbit for his role or will they? Jon or Kit has curly dark hair, Rhaegar is not known for curly hair. Looks are important so by this logic Rhaegar on the show should have curly silver hair and be smallr in statue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/06/2017 at 5:16 PM, Newstar said:

LOL, Wilf Scolding is well over six feet, he's far too tall to play Jon's dad. :D

...In all seriousness, though, Wilf Scolding has a bit of a Chris Hemsworth vibe, and Magali Villeneuve (?) seems to have modeled her Rhaegar in TWOIAF after Chris Hemsworth's Thor. Wilf Scolding also has a bit of a Charlie Hunnam vibe, and Charlie Hunnam mentioned to having to pass on a small GOT role due to scheduling conflicts, which may have been Rhaegar. Maybe they wanted someone for Rhaegar with a particular look--blond, tall, strong jaw--and Wilf Scolding, like Charlie Hunnam, fit the bill.

As for Scolding not being attractive enough...eh. It wouldn't be the first time the show had cast an actor far less attractive than the book character was supposed to be: Renly, Loras, Theon, etc. People also complained about Aisling Franciosi not being pretty enough to play Lyanna, so it all evens out, I guess. For what it's worth, I think Scolding is plenty cute.

As for Sam Claflin? Sam Claflin and Aisling Franciosi are going to be in a non-GOT project together, which is why Aisling followed him on Twitter. Aisling Franciosi also followed Wilf Scolding on Twitter, though, and as far as we know they're not going to be in any other projects together.

Sorry I don't know who Magali Villeneuve is or what model of Rhaegar she did. I can't comment on that. I don't think Rhaegar was beefy like Thor actor Chris Hemsworth. The point I was making that you didn't pick up on as that the actor Wilf Scolding isn't very handsome and less handsome than Jaime, who is played by a very handsome actor. Rhaegar is supposed to be the most handsome man in the world at that time when he lived. They should pick an actor with stunning good looks.

As for Lyanna, I don't think she was described as very beautiful in the books, although some said she is like Arya, who was considered "long faced" and tomboyish. The actress whoplays Lyanna, Aisling Franciosi is very pretty imho but more delicate looking than I imagined Lyanna to be. I imagined Lyanna as more robust and with the Stark face. Aisling has delicate bone structure and looks more like a brunette Sansa. Not Arya. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017. 06. 07. at 10:37 PM, The Doctor's Consort said:

Rhaegar seems to me like someone with a *delicate* beauty and not a muscular man like Chris Hemsworth, I think that Joseph Morgan would had been a perfect Rhaegar. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604784/mediaviewer/rm2573241600

 If he was beautiful which is something that I doubt since beauty is in the eye of the beholder and he reminds me of Nuada from Hellboy. http://hellboy.wikia.com/wiki/Nuada?file=Prince_Nuada_with_a_crown.jpg

Superman is Robert Prime.

That's not bad actually. Certainly not the perfect choice, but close enough. I could live with this casting choice. 

Oh dear me is that a wight Legolas? Never seen Hellboy. 

And true, Henry Cavill is young Robert :agree: 

On 2017. 06. 08. at 5:55 AM, kimim said:

...or given that Rhaegar's going to get three lines at best, they could toss the acting ability, and go purely by looks.

Dima Kopeikins https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/15/8d/6a/158d6a04377a3723ed21c2c4629f4a07.jpg

Valery Kovtun https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/f4/39/e0/f439e0468aa369f8fbecf9b7ebc6a448.jpg

Noooo.....! 

God, nooooooo!!!!! 

 

 

The Wilf scolding person you have all been discussing doesn't have the gracefulness to play Rhaegar. He's got such a school boy face. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Wolfgirly said:

Sorry I don't know who Magali Villeneuve is or what model of Rhaegar she did. I can't comment on that. I don't think Rhaegar was beefy like Thor actor Chris Hemsworth.

Magali Villeneuve did some official art for TWOIAF. However, I was mistaken, it was Karla Ortiz who depicted Rhaegar in TWOIAF as shown here. He's not stunningly handsome as depicted, either. There's a clear influence of Chris Hemsworth's Thor to my eye, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

 

Quote

The point I was making that you didn't pick up on as that the actor Wilf Scolding isn't very handsome and less handsome than Jaime, who is played by a very handsome actor.

LOL, I picked up on it, I just happen to disagree. Wilf Scolding is very cute IMO, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Even if he isn't the most handsome man in the world, he's still attractive enough to play an attractive character, much like the serviceably cute Gethin Anthony (Renly) and Finn Jones (Loras).

Even though Book Renly is extremely hot, TV Renly doesn't have to be played by the hottest guy in the world: the actor just has to be attractive enough that you can understand why Loras is into him, and, more importantly, that he makes Stannis look unappealing. 

Even though Book Loras is extremely hot, TV Loras doesn't have to be played by the hottest guy in the world: the actor just has to be attractive enough to present a stark comparison to the Hound, to mirror Margaery, and to explain why Sansa is so gaga for him.

 

Quote

Rhaegar is supposed to be the most handsome man in the world at that time when he lived. They should pick an actor with stunning good looks.

Nah, there's no need. They just need to pick an actor who's attractive enough to explain why a starry-eyed young woman would chuck everything to be with him. "The most handsome man in the world?" Nope. A tall, cute guy with raffish schoolboy charm and a great smile would do the trick, and Wilf Scolding fits the bill. He looks like exactly the kind of young man a certain type of romantic young woman would swoon over.

 

Quote

As for Lyanna, I don't think she was described as very beautiful in the books, although some said she is like Arya, who was considered "long faced" and tomboyish. The actress whoplays Lyanna, Aisling Franciosi is very pretty imho but more delicate looking than I imagined Lyanna to be. I imagined Lyanna as more robust and with the Stark face. Aisling has delicate bone structure and looks more like a brunette Sansa. Not Arya. 

I see a much clearer resemblance between Franciosi and Maisie Williams.

 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

The Wilf scolding person you have all been discussing doesn't have the gracefulness to play Rhaegar. He's got such a school boy face. 

Some believe Charlie Hunnam was the Rhaegar they wanted to get, in which case "gracefulness" was not what they were after. They clearly wanted a guy with a cute face who would come across as a credible warrior. Done.

Edited by Newstar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Newstar said:

Magali Villeneuve did some official art for TWOIAF. However, I was mistaken, it was Karla Ortiz who depicted Rhaegar in TWOIAF as shown here. He's not stunningly handsome as depicted, either. There's a clear influence of Chris Hemsworth's Thor to my eye, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

 

Some believe Charlie Hunnam was the Rhaegar they wanted to get, in which case "gracefulness" was not what they were after. They clearly wanted a guy with a cute face who would come across as a credible warrior. Done.

This is only my opinion, of course (in the odd case that somebody thinks what I say is not my opinion), but that picture of Rhaegar is clearly the reimagining of Chris Hemsworth as Thor. 

Yeah that's not exactly the faithful portrayal of Rhaegar's physique indeed, but if the show goes for Charlie Hunnam, run ahead, I will never say no to abs and triceps (or let Jason play everyone, I know I would watch - JK obviously :eek::lol: ). I liked Charlie a lot in King Arthur, though I picture Rhaegar to be leaner and more graceful and dreamy. Sure enough, casting an actor with a gym god body would be the least of the casting mistakes they make

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

22 hours ago, Newstar said:

Magali Villeneuve did some official art for TWOIAF. However, I was mistaken, it was Karla Ortiz who depicted Rhaegar in TWOIAF as shown here. He's not stunningly handsome as depicted, either. There's a clear influence of Chris Hemsworth's Thor to my eye, and I'm not the only one who thinks so.

 

LOL, I picked up on it, I just happen to disagree. Wilf Scolding is very cute IMO, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. Even if he isn't the most handsome man in the world, he's still attractive enough to play an attractive character, much like the serviceably cute Gethin Anthony (Renly) and Finn Jones (Loras).

Even though Book Renly is extremely hot, TV Renly doesn't have to be played by the hottest guy in the world: the actor just has to be attractive enough that you can understand why Loras is into him, and, more importantly, that he makes Stannis look unappealing. 

Even though Book Loras is extremely hot, TV Loras doesn't have to be played by the hottest guy in the world: the actor just has to be attractive enough to present a stark comparison to the Hound, to mirror Margaery, and to explain why Sansa is so gaga for him.

 

Nah, there's no need. They just need to pick an actor who's attractive enough to explain why a starry-eyed young woman would chuck everything to be with him. "The most handsome man in the world?" Nope. A tall, cute guy with raffish schoolboy charm and a great smile would do the trick, and Wilf Scolding fits the bill. He looks like exactly the kind of young man a certain type of romantic young woman would swoon over.

 

Some believe Charlie Hunnam was the Rhaegar they wanted to get, in which case "gracefulness" was not what they were after. They clearly wanted a guy with a cute face who would come across as a credible warrior. Done.

Lets just agree to disagree. You like Wilf Scolding, thats okay. He just reminds me of Jason Donovon a bit hee hee.

By the way I'm a romantic forest loving lady and I love knights. Rhaegar and Jaime are my favourite men in the books. Artists use a variety of different models. I like this Rhaegar with Lyanna and as I imagine the prince to look like.

Rhaegar and Lyanna

Edited by Wolfgirly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wolfgirly said:

Lets just agree to disagree. You like Wilf Scolding, thats okay. He just reminds me of Jason Donovon a bit hee hee.

Fair enough. 

We don't know that Rhaegar will be Wilf Scolding, after all. I had figured they'd pick someone for looks first and go for talent second. By "looks" I don't just mean handsome, I mean someone who looks like he could be related to Kit. I don't see much of a resemblance between Kit and Scolding, not even in things like bone structure, and I know that the casting people can be really good at casting for a resemblance when they put their minds to it: Gendry vs. Robert Baratheon, Margaery vs. Olenna, Theon vs. Euron, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither I, but Jon is supposed to be Stark looking through and through, and this Wilf does look like he could be related to Harry Lloyd and Emilia Clarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now