Shireens murder.

22 minutes ago, Pink Fat Rast said:

Easy to say when you lost said throne...

The guilt that Stannis finally feels when he realizes what he has done is palpable.  besides, how can you lose something you never had?

21 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Needs explanation; i.e. Is it necessary to burn someone with King's blood?

Based on the books there are different levels, some require Royal Blood.

Well, he didn't win the throne, he lost his prospect, different phrasings you know.

I think he's either distraught about the failure to achieve his destiny, or said destiny having been a lie all along - in either case, the pointlessness of the sacrifice and his cause/life and having failed to ensure that she didn't "die for nothing".

Probably all of those at once, I don't think it's clear from the show at the very least.

But, had he WON the throne and then saved the realm, he'd be at least in a position to start thinking it wasn't "worth the throne" - since he lost, maybe at most he thought it wasn't worth the effort, or the leap of faith.

49 minutes ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

The guilt that Stannis finally feels when he realizes what he has done is palpable.  besides, how can you lose something you never had?

Based on the books there are different levels, some require Royal Blood.

I guess what I'm saying is "Is it necessary to burn somebody alive?"

12 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I guess what I'm saying is "Is it necessary to burn somebody alive?"

Yes it is, or perhaps a better way is to say that Melisandre thinks it's necessary, and that it be someone of Royal Blood.  However no one is directly sacrificed for Jon Snow to come back, just like Thoros doesn't have to sacrifice anyone to bring Beric back.  One of the problems is that Melisandre doesn't seem all that good at what she does.  After all she burns Shireen yet Stannis loses (and loses everything).  I guess that the best way to put it is that there is a price to be paid for everything and human sacrifice is the price that Melisandre charges.  Personally I would go along with what Davos says, that if your god demands the burning of a child then your god is evil.  We do know that the "Lord of Light" or at least his acolytes (except Thoros) are really into burning people, after all Kinvara is looking forward to Dany's dragons toasting non-believers.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Remembered something else about why Shireen's death pissed me off; it also compromised Stannis's future because Shireen was pretty much his heir and Selyse isn't getting younger.

Stannis could get a divorce. Or Selyse becoming a septa or falling of a flight of stairs.

Archived