Acting MVP on the show ?

There is so many great performances and some get better on rewatching, Originally i thought Dinklage was the tops and he still is but on second viewing i realized just how great Alfie Allen and Stephen Dillane were.

Peter Dinklage, Alfie Allen, Stephen Dillane, Charles Dance,  Iain Glen, Liam Cunningham, Lena Headley, Jack Gleeson and Jerome Flynne have been scene stealers.

But i'd lean towards Dinklage or Allen

who is your MVP after 6 seasons ?

8 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

In order:

Jack Gleeson

Charles Dance

Natalie Dormer

Alfie Allen

Rory McCann

Michelle Fairley

Conleth Hill

Stephen Dillane

Maisie Williams

Michael McElhatton

Dance is a no brainer and think everyone will have him in there top 10 and possibly top 5, but Gleeson for me made those first few seasons special and when he went the show lost something big time, I was always entertained by any Lannister/Kings Landing scenes more than any of the other Arcs so glad to see him so close to the top.

Just now, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Dance is a no brainer and think everyone will have him in there top 10 and possibly top 5, but Gleeson for me made those first few seasons special and when he went the show lost something big time, I was always entertained by any Lannister/Kings Landing scenes more than any of the other Arcs,

Yeah, Ramsay was such a poor replacement for Joffrey, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Lyin' Ned said:

Yeah, Ramsay was such a poor replacement for Joffrey, IMO. 

I aint gonna say the guy that played Ramsay wasn't terrific at playing his role because he nailed it, but the character of Ramsay was too predictable so the shock value wasn't there, Joffrey could at times be tamed so your heart would be pounding when he was going off about something thinking will he wont he. And his acting as well as the other great actors around him made scenes so enjoyable.

The first few seasons had the strongest actors all based in Kings Landing so thats possibly why i enjoy KL scenes much more aswell.

Plus Joffrey was Comical.

I'm not tired scene....

35 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

I aint gonna say the guy that played Ramsay wasn't terrific at playing his role because he nailed it, but the character of Ramsay was too predictable so the shock value wasn't there, Joffrey could at times be tamed so your heart would be pounding when he was going off about something thinking will he wont he. And his acting as well as the other great actors around him made scenes so enjoyable.

The first few seasons had the strongest actors all based in Kings Landing so thats possibly why i enjoy KL scenes much more aswell.

Plus Joffrey was Comical.

I'm not tired scene....

I 100% agree with everything you are saying. I do think the actor who plays Ramsay played the part fantastically. Just he is a lot more predictable and less interesting than Joffrey.

I also loved the KL scenes from series 2 and 3 in particular. With Tyrion, Varys, LF, Cersei, Tywin, Margaery and others all being together it made great television. 

Like it has been said Alfie Allen also plays the part wondrously and I never fully appreciated him until additional viewings. 

Just now, Lord Oaf of Highgarden said:

I 100% agree with everything you are saying. I do think the actor who plays Ramsay played the part fantastically. Just he is a lot more predictable and less interesting than Joffrey.

I also loved the KL scenes from series 2 and 3 in particular. With Tyrion, Varys, LF, Cersei, Tywin, Margaery and others all being together it made great television. 

Like it has been said Alfie Allen also plays the part wondrously and I never fully appreciated him until additional viewings. 

and lets not forget Bronn and Lady Olenna who have some of the best one liners and make us laugh out loud, Kings Landing early seasons was a delight to watch, i know things are getting more serious as things go on but the show feels down trodden now compared the scheming and witty banter of seasons 1-3

1. Charles Dance - the man has presence, every scene he was in I was drawn to him, now every time I see him in any other movie like the Imitation Game he outshines Benedict Cumberbatch for me. And Benedict is one of my favorite actors. Tywin is still one of my favorite portrayals in the show and he is still one of my favorite characters.

2. Jack Gleeson - This guy killed it as Joffrey.

3. Peter Dinklage - Do I even need to explain? There is a reason I still like Tyrion a lot in the show despite all the white washing.

4. Alfie Allen - Alfie was cast on his ability to play Reek, and it shows because he was great

5. Maisie Williams - ehm.....*points to avatar* she's fucking great

6. Liam Cunningham - Liam is fantastic as Davos, just recently in the finale Liam killed it in his speech to Melisandre about Shireen.

7. Mark Addy - Mark Addy was fantastic as an older, depressed, and out of his prime Robert Baratheon in the 6 episodes we got of him

8. Lena Headey - Everybody and their mother hates Cersei but you gotta give it to Lena, she plays her well.

9. Conleth Hill - Is fantastic as Varys (and he is funny as hell in real life)

10. Michelle Fairley - I was never a big fan of Catelyn the character herself but Michelle Fairley was still great. She played it brilliantly in the Red Wedding sequence as well.

Honorable Mentions: Diana Rigg (obviously lol), Jerome Flynn, Michael McElhatton, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Iain Glen, Natalie Dormer, Rory McCann, Stephen Dillane, Sean Bean (of course), and Iwan Rheon

1 hour ago, Tijgy said:
1 minute ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

1. Charles Dance - the man has presence, every scene he was in I was drawn to him, now every time I see him in any other movie like the Imitation Game he outshines Benedict Cumberbatch for me. And Benedict is one of my favorite actors. Tywin is still one of my favorite portrayals in the show and he is still one of my favorite characters.

2. Jack Gleeson - This guy killed it as Joffrey.

3. Peter Dinklage - Do I even need to explain? There is a reason I still like Tyrion a lot in the show despite all the white washing.

4. Alfie Allen - Alfie was cast on his ability to play Reek, and it shows because he was great

5. Maisie Williams - ehm.....*points to avatar* she's fucking great

6. Liam Cunningham - Liam is fantastic as Davos, just recently in the finale Liam killed it in his speech to Melisandre about Shireen.

7. Mark Addy - Mark Addy was fantastic as an older, depressed, and out of his prime Robert Baratheon in the 6 episodes we got of him

8. Lena Headey - Everybody and their mother hates Cersei but you gotta give it to Lena, she plays her well.

9. Conleth Hill - Is fantastic as Varys (and he is funny as hell in real life)

10. Michelle Fairley - I was never a big fan of Catelyn the character herself but Michelle Fairley was still great. She played it brilliantly in the Red Wedding sequence as well.

Honorable Mentions: Jerome Flynn, Michael McElhatton, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Natalie Dormer, Rory McCann, Stephen Dillane, Sean Bean (of course), and Iwan Rheon

Alfie Allen is really amazing! 

no love for Iain Glen ? your top few spots are similar to mine but i have Iain and Jerome and Stephane a bit higher

Just now, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

no love for Iain Glen ? your top few spots are similar to mine but i have Iain and Jerome and Stephane a bit higher

omg I completely forgot about Iain Glen lol He wouldn't be in my top 10 but I still think he does a good job as Jorah

MVP
Starting with negatives, Iwan Rheon did inhabit Ramsay Bolton but Bolton was so reliably pathological that it was just one-note.  Rheon did a good job playing that one note but after a while, you want some variety.  Sometimes for me Lena Headey falls into the same trap.  

1. Liam Cunningham and 2. Charles Dance and 3. Ciaran Hinds were all terrific.  I know there were complaints about Hinds' interpretation of Mance, but I thought he was terrific.  For female MVP, I would go with 4. Diana Riggs as Lady Olenna or 5. Michelle Fairly. 

Many of the other players are all young or just starting out so for most improved, I go with Kit.  

Note: So many folks love Alfie Allen that I guess I just don't.  He does a good job with his face and eyes but sometimes he emotes so hard, I want to look away and cringe.  Just me, I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

MVP
Starting with negatives, Iwan Rheon did inhabit Ramsay Bolton but Bolton was so reliably pathological that it was just one-note.  Rheon did a good job playing that one note but after a while, you want some variety.  Sometimes for me Lena Headey falls into the same trap.  

1. Liam Cunningham and 2. Charles Dance and 3. Ciaran Hinds were all terrific.  I know there were complaints about Hinds' interpretation of Mance, but I thought he was terrific.  For female MVP, I would go with 4. Diana Riggs as Lady Olenna or 5. Michelle Fairly. 

Many of the other players are all young or just starting out so for most improved, I go with Kit.  

Note: So many folks love Alfie Allen that I guess I just don't.  He does a good job with his face and eyes but sometimes he emotes so hard, I want to look away and cringe.  Just me, I suppose. 

Dianna Riggs stole nearly every scene she was in, even some scenes from Dance himself and that takes some doing. She is Fantastic.

I guess it depends on what you look for. For example, ability to convey emotions or how true someone is to their character. With some of these things, the writing is probably more important than the actor.

I would say for humour, probably Bronn. Pure acting and skill, probably Tywin. I don't understand the love for Tyrion, his accent is way off half the time, but he was absolutely excellent for the second half of S4. Stannis and Dol Edd are portrayed incredibly for me, especially Stannis. Right down to the teeth clenching... I'm sure they must have given Dillane some crack before each scene.

So many wonderful portrayals on GoT, but as this topic is going for an MVP overall for 6 seasons, I'd probably give it to Liam Cunningham for his wonderfully consistent portrayal of Ser Davos. It's not the flashiest of roles - he isn't a psychopath, he isn't funny and he isn't a warrior or one of the most powerful men in Westeros-  but Liam has absolutely killed it and understood the heart of his character from the first scene he appeared in. Not a single actor on the show, including Dance, has matched him to consistency. And in the emotional scenes he has been better than them all( case in point, his brilliant portrayal of a heartbroken man seeking justice when he confronted Melissandre about the burning of shireen).

1. Charles Dance

2. Peter D

3. Aiden Gillen (no mentions?)

4. Conleth Hill

5. Liam Cunningham

6. Gwen Christie

7. Stephen Dillane

8. Ian Glen

9. Michael McElhatton

10. Owen Teale

Dormer, Allen, Bean, Madden, Fairly, Gleeson, McCann, and Anthony were also really good. I dont like the acting of Stark children as much, nor Dany. 

Carice van Houten!!! Obviously I'm biased, but everyone showers praise on Headey's performance- let's not forget, Carice was meant to play Cersei but couldn't as she was attached to another filming project, so was then invited to play Mel, which she does brilliantly. Very underrated on this forum.

1 hour ago, mafro987daboss said:

Carice van Houten!!! Obviously I'm biased, but everyone showers praise on Headey's performance- let's not forget, Carice was meant to play Cersei but couldn't as she was attached to another filming project, so was then invited to play Mel, which she does brilliantly. Very underrated on this forum.

and great tits to boot.

From what i've heard Cersei is meant to the be the most beautiful woman living in westeros ? I have never found Lena Headey that attractive, so Van Houten would have filled the role for sure in that aspect.

Archived