Why was Arys Oakheart chosen for the Kingsguard?

Oakhearts head

I've been wondering about this for a while. As we all know, because the majority of Aerys' Kingsguard perished in Robert's Rebellion there were five positions which needed to be filled in a very short amount of time. This, coupled with a handful of corrupt individuals and Bobby's probable indifference, is what led to Robert's Kingsguard being made up of men with their own agendas and mostly average skill level compared to the Mad Kings seven.

Arys Oakheart, however, was chosen shortly after the Greyjoy Rebellion, where his predecessor apparently was killed. This happened in 290 AC, eight years prior to the beginning of AGOT.

Arys strikes me as an odd choice for the time period, though that doesn't necessarily reflect on Arys as an individual. In a lot of ways, he was a logical choice for the Kingsguard. Young, chivalrous, third son of a reasonably powerful family, etc. What strikes me as odd is that there doesn't seem to be any political motivation behind it at all. Let's look at his contemporaries :

Ser Mandon Moore :

- Chosen by Jon Arryn at the behest of Lysa. Probably a crony for Littlefinger.

Ser Preston Greenfield :

- Second son of a notable house in the Westerlands. Likely a crony for either Cersei or Tywin.

Ser Meryn Trant and Ser Boros Blount :

- According to Varys, they work for Cersei.

Ser Arys Oakheart :

?

The Oakhearts are a powerful family in the Reach, but the Tyrells wouldn't gain a strong foothold in Kings Landing until well into A Clash of Kings only after they sided with the Lannisters during the WOTFK.

A few possibilities :

A. Arys fought in the Greyjoy Rebellion as a young knight, performed well and caught the attention of someone important who later vouched for him (Robert, Ned, Barristan, Stannis, Tywin).

B. Arys fought in and possibly won the melee during the tournament that followed the victory on Pyke (ala Jorah Mormont in the jousting).

C. He was chosen because he was easily manipulated.

Is it possible that among all of the political picks made for Robert's Kingsguard, Arys slipped through the cracks and was simply chosen because on the surface he seemed like an OK choice at the time?

What do you guys think?

Arys is loyal and honorable, and perfectly suited for the white cloak. My best guess is that he´s the only guy in recent history who got chosen mainly because of his ability and character. If he had certain loyalties beyond the royal family we would propably have learned about it in his PoV.

He´s just simply a good choice, as you said. Even Cersei and Robert get it right every once in a while.

The roster Robert's KG dolls out political appointments which is something we know. On the other hand, many of the houses that they come from are drawn from all over the kingdom. The Westerlands, Stormlands, Vale, and Crownlands are represented in the KG and Arys brings a representative from the Reach. The Oakhearts are also an old and prestigious house, and their power in the Reach doesn't seem to be anything to sneeze at. Its nothing but pleasing for the Tyrells, so it is almost assuredly another political appointment. What skill and character he has are again probably secondary.

Probably just in the right place, looking good at the right time.

What I'd like to know more about is the entire selection process for the KG. Jamie obviously had to write in to be considered, whereas the Hound was offered a place outright. We also know that Fireball was offered the next available place by Aegon 4. Seems very inconsistant

22 minutes ago, 1000th Lord Commander said:

Probably just in the right place, looking good at the right time.

What I'd like to know more about is the entire selection process for the KG. Jamie obviously had to write in to be considered, whereas the Hound was offered a place outright. We also know that Fireball was offered the next available place by Aegon 4. Seems very inconsistant

Probably because it is by necessity. Its not a modern body that inducts members through a large amount of bureaucracy where the process is the same, the king raises a knight to the KG when he says. If there is a ceremony, a confirmation by the small council, or just tossing him a white cloak depends on the current king and situation. Joffrey raised the Hound in front of the throne, another was raised on the spot to the KG at the battle of Redgrass Fields only to die a couple hours later, and if I recall correctly Balon Swann and Kettleblack where raised in a sept anointed by the High Septon himself by Cersei.

Archived